Can You Identify This WW11 Truck ?

6 X 6

Is it me or is the (radial) engine in the front wheel, I think a little bit of the NSU Quickly is noticeable, maybe the same designer?

Blimey, this no good at all ! I was hoping to keep this going for weeks. Yes, alright, it is front wheel drive but no connection with NSU.

Runflat beat me to it

The Killinger and Freund Motorrad (motorcycle) was test-driven after the engine was tested on a test stand. Its total weight was 135 kg (297 lb). [1]

This design was intended for civilian production but the start of World War II cancelled those plans. One motorcycle was discovered by the US Army in the spring of 1945 at a German military installation but it is not known if this was the original prototype or another Killinger und Freund Motorrad. The disposition of that captured vehicle is not known.

From Wheels & Tracks 35-

"The rarity was uncovered in 1945 in Munich, in the Third US Army area. Its fate we do not know but we copied the picture from a contemporary military paper cutting which gave the following description:

'When this motor cycle was discovered the technical officer blinked to make sure that he was not dreaming, for the power unit, a three-cylinder, air-cooled, petrol-driven rotary engine, was tucked away inside the front wheel. The carburettor, mounted on the left side of the hub, does not revolve with the engine, and is fed with petrol by one of two pipes from the petrol tank, which is in its usual place in front of the saddle.

'On further examination the officer found that the ignition system consisted of a six-volt coil hidden inside the head-lamp bracket, with the condenser and points inside the carburettor housing! The points are broken by a cam revolving with the engine, giving an automatic spark advance. The battery is under the rider's seat. Engine lubrication is by oil mixed with the petrol.

'The motor cycle's chief weaknesses are that the engine is subjected to unusual amount of road shock, as the tyre forms the only damper and the front wheel hub is so complex, with its several concentric shafts, that it is easily damaged.

'With a heavy engine in front, steering is difficult and the back wheel is inclined to jump easily. But the position of the engine does keep the rider's trousers free from oil and grease!'"

From Wheels & Tracks 35-

[/i]

Runflat, thank you for taking the trouble to reproduce the 'Wheels & Track' article. Very interesting indeed and much more information there than on the website I linked to on post 13. As I said to Gritineye, I wonder if it's still around. In the basement of a house somewhere in the American midwest having been shipped back by an enterprising US Army officer all those years ago. It's just possible.