... drivers licences

It is confusing but that's to our advantage because your average copper doesn't understand it either. I've been told by traffic cop friends that they'd look the other way if they saw us coming because if they pull you and charge you with something which turns out to be incorrect they are in for the high jump, what with the Human Rights Act etc.

The definition of load or goods and burden is quite restrictive but caravans and living wagons are exempt from a lot of of this. Sorry I don't have the reg's for this as I've never looked into them. Go to the HMSO website and look up the SI's I've already quoted. You'll have to trawl through them though and they are very dull :-(.

I really think you will find your trailer IS of a similar age to your truck ;-).

It is confusing but that's to our advantage because your average copper doesn't understand it either. I've been told by traffic cop friends that they'd look the other way if they saw us coming because if they pull you and charge you with something which turns out to be incorrect they are in for the high jump, what with the Human Rights Act etc.

The definition of load or goods and burden is quite restrictive but caravans and living wagons are exempt from a lot of of this. Sorry I don't have the reg's for this as I've never looked into them. Go to the HMSO website and look up the SI's I've already quoted. You'll have to trawl through them though and they are very dull :-(.

I really think you will find your trailer IS of a similar age to your truck ;-).

Sorry I did seam to put the wrong age for my trailer and now know its before 1960.

Well all we can do is wait for the first one to be pulled over using a truck and trailer and let the others know what happened.

I hope to have all my facts ready for when I get pulled and hopefully wont get some smart arse copper.

Well all we can do is wait for the first one to be pulled over using a truck and trailer and let the others know what happened.

I hope to have all my facts ready for when I get pulled and hopefully wont get some smart bum copper.

It's gonna happen sooner or later and I sure hope it's not me :-( .

The advice I've been given is to let them charge you without challenging it at the roadside. I'd be interested in people's opinions on this. I guess it's because you really don't want to be arguing with a copper since they'll always find something to book you for if they want to.

One of our guys was towing a fire engine on rear suspended lift behind a Militant Mk3. He was pulled over on the M25 and told that he couldn't rear lift and that his trailer board was inadequate. Despite it being pointed out that rear lifting is commonplace and the only lighting requirement for vehicles on tow is one red light at the rear after the hours of darkness, the policeman insisted on it. No more was heard of it though and we imagine he was torn up for @&$£paper by the Desk Sergeant when he got back to the station!

I guess the most important thing is to do your own research. Please don't take any of my quotes or opinions as law - you should double-check it for yourself and your circumstances. Also make it look good. Have the correct working lighting, tow with an appropriate vehicle, drive considerately etc. etc. and don't give them an excuse to pull you in the first place. :-)

Also make it look good. Have the correct working lighting, tow with an appropriate vehicle, drive considerately etc. etc. and don't give them an excuse to pull you in the first place. :-)

I think thats the best advice, if it looks correct and you drive it properly you have less chance of being stopped.

We towed the trailer from Lancashire to Essex 250 ish miles on the M6, M1, M25 and never got stopped once so must have looked ok when bringing it back.

Hello Ian2B

I have been towing a brock field office converted to a living for a couple of years,I towed it behind my GMC had to alter the braking system on the trailer,but I have never had any problems,I shall be towing it behind my Diamond t 975 this year,will keep the same braking system in place,rather than air they are electronic.

Howard

Hello Ian2B

I have been towing a brock field office converted to a living for a couple of years,I towed it behind my GMC had to alter the braking system on the trailer,but I have never had any problems,I shall be towing it behind my Diamond t 975 this year,will keep the same braking system in place,rather than air they are electronic.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the information and that sounds interesting that you have changed the braking system to electric which then makes it better as you dont have to have a towing vehicle with the air brake connections. If you are at war and peace this year i might pop along for a look and some info.

Thanks for all the input guys . My brain hurts now...(Again)...

My towing vehicle will be the unimog which is 6000kg gross and 1974 and the trailer is a showmans living wagon - approximately 1914 and weighing goodness how much until it's in a fit state for me to take it to a weighbridge and find out for real . Having towed it around a little - pulling it out of the field it had lived in for many years and the short distance back to base , I'd say it was around 11/2 - 2 tons . (Not military I know but I'd coveted it for many years and it was just at the stage that if somebody didn't rescue it very soon it was going to be past saving ).