......but what does a dynamo do on a tank

Mark

Question

7 answers to this question

Him

A long time since this question , but, yes it is the Aux Gen which is started up quite a long time before battle as the gyroscopes controlling the gun stability have to "spin up" to speed, and the main engine generator could not handle this, as well, as Andrew says, all the radio gear, turret traversing , etc.

Incidentally, on a Chieftain, the G U exhaust used to "coke up" if just running normal electrics, so to clear them the metadynes and gyros were switched on, causing sparks and burning carbon to shoot out of the exhaust.

This has been known to set the prairie grass alight in Canada, and was quite spectacular after dark.

One tank that never had this problem was commanded by an officer who could not map read, and first thing in the morning he would spend some time finding out which way was north, then put his gun barrel on that bearing, start up his GU, and switch on his stabilising gear. His ruse came to an end when he had to lead with his gun in the transporting crutch over the rear decks, and promptly got lost!

Him

A long time since this question , but, yes it is the Aux Gen which is started up quite a long time before battle as the gyroscopes controlling the gun stability have to "spin up" to speed, and the main engine generator could not handle this, as well, as Andrew says, all the radio gear, turret traversing , etc.

Incidentally, on a Chieftain, the G U exhaust used to "coke up" if just running normal electrics, so to clear them the metadynes and gyros were switched on, causing sparks and burning carbon to shoot out of the exhaust.

This has been known to set the prairie grass alight in Canada, and was quite spectacular after dark.

One tank that never had this problem was commanded by an officer who could not map read, and first thing in the morning he would spend some time finding out which way was north, then put his gun barrel on that bearing, start up his GU, and switch on his stabilising gear. His ruse came to an end when he had to lead with his gun in the transporting crutch over the rear decks, and promptly got lost!

I like that story Harry ! Welcome to the forum ! :-D

:???

I'm digging deep here but from what I recall on Chieftain the GUE drove the main generator with a max output of 350A and the Main Engine generator had an output of 150A. The reason for powering up the GUE first is that the batteries would struggle to start the ME and the additional power from the GUE was required (Don't ask me about the hydraulic start !)

:yay:

So setting up the "D" lever would be out of the question then ,Bob?

You are dead right about the Chieftain GUE giving the batteries a boost, it was when it was idling that the exhaust problem occurred. The hydraulic start was just a hydraulic starter powered by a pump driven by the genny, and hated by all mechanics as too finicky and unreliable.

I once bump started a Chieftain by pushing it down a hill with my Cent ARV and telling the driver to bang it into gear when he thought it was going fast enough. The tank started ,but the crew did not speak to me for quite a while! (God knows what it did to the transmission!)