Light Warning Truck

thedawnpatrol

If the vehicle at the Shuttleworth Colection has a hard top on cab I used to own it.

It was basically unissued when discovered by the previous owner in a barn with with very low mileage. There was no evidence in the back of it ever having being fitted with any equipment. I get the impression that very few of this version ever made it out of the depots.

Sorry Les,

yes your in Kent, not so far from Oxford.

Thanks for the photo.

Runflat,

that structure on my roof is just lodged up there, it is an empty cable laying reel, quite hard to find these days, but again not sure I really need it?

REME 245,

Yes the vehicle at Shuttleworth has a hard cab roof, but nothing in the back, I have some photos of it, sadly it is not much help.

I wondered after looking at Ted's photos if the main upright of the aerial needs to go through the roof to support it? otherwise it is a large structure, I also understand that it is turned from inside?

In my roof there is a hole where someone has fitted a fan, but it would be in the right place for the structure to pass through?

I wonder where I might get any drawings with dimensions of the Aerial.

Jules

Still along way to come for a road run though Jules, right these may interest you its the light warning this time on a Morris chassis

The upper two photos are from Contract No. S2245 for Truck, W/T House MkIII. I would say the vehicle is straight from the factory, note the spare wheel on the roof with no tyre. This was often seen, my guess tyres were short and fitting spares could have held up vehicle production, if supplies run out.

Yes those pictures show the wireless body on a Morris Commerial C4. you can tell by the louvre slats in the side for the generator.

I have wondered where i could carry a spare wheel on mine, there is no room between the cab and back, and there is no way anyone could lift a 900 x 16 runflat up on the roof!!

more food for thought.

Jules

If you think the 9.00 x 16 tyres are heavy think about the poor souls who used to get a 10.50 x 20 up on the top of the Chevy Quads!

Incidently if it should have had runflats then there would be no spare.

Has anyone got any internal photos of their wireless/light-warning bodies?

• 1 month later...

Just to keep this ball rolling, I have been lent a manual called Concise Details of Radio Vehicles, an Air Ministry publication, but dated 1950.

It covers many types of radio trucks, but there are two that are simular to my Light Warning Truck,

One refurs to a Type 105 Radio Vehicle, the other a Type 267 mk.1 although this is on a Bedford cab/chassis, the back body is very simular to mine, the body is refured to as a 'type E' stores ref 16a/1672.

The discription states:-

This is a mobile Monitoring unit used for centimetric pulsed transmissions. Three aerial systems are provided, one to cover the upper end, one set in the horizontal plane and the other in the vertical plane.

the equipment consists of a pair of waveguid aerials mounted on a suitable turning gear...............it goes on for pages!

The Equipment listed is :-

Two recievers Type R.1392D

Two power units Type 234A

Control Unit Type 7a

Transmitter-Reciever Type TR.5043

Power unit type 15

Petrol Generating set, 1260w, 35V

Control unit Type 714

Control unit Type 715

Indicator CRT Type4

Power unit type 820

Amplifying unit type A.3269

Test set Type 219

The purpose of this installation is a mobile VHF direction finder station.

Here is a photo of the above, sadly it does not show the Aerial set up.

Your thoughts Gentlemen !

Jules

EPSON001.jpg

EPSON002.jpg

I'm not sure what you are wanting us to comment on. Your Fordson doesn't have an E type body - the E type was a standardised shell with various sub-types for the different installations. There is one around on a Bedford MW chassis, complete with that odd looking overhang.

This week I posted a picture of my new Douglas Generator asking for information on its use. My quess was either the Kerrison Predictor or a Radar Unit.

No one replied but I note that ackack has already answered the question on page two of this thread and it is for the radar carried in a Light Warning Truck.

Unfortunately the chances of finding an original radar unit for your truck is likely to be zero.

The upper two photos are from Contract No. S2245 for Truck, W/T House MkIII.

Richard, do you have info on other contracts in this series. A C4 MkII W/T chassis I have is 2244 WT. Any idea how many C4 MkII WT were produced??

Hi Simon,

Your C4 MkII..I assume that is a mistake where you say it is 2244 ? :confused:. If it is S.2245, then it is census numbers Z5400641 to 5403640. Cannot see any more contracts that are specifically "W/T House MkIII", some just listed as W/T House. There is a Light Warning listed, assume it is a C4 MkII as the census numbers are later that above, Z5832027 to 5832356, contract no. S.6778

HI Richard,

Thanks for that info mate. I will check the chassis details. I've never seen any Light Warning bodies on a Morris. Only WOT2. I've seen pix of Guy Ants with the Wireless body. Would they have been specific truck for the individual body? Same as you only see the E type body on MWs.

Simon

Just to keep this ball rolling, I have been lent a manual called Concise Details of Radio Vehicles, an Air Ministry publication, but dated 1950.

It covers many types of radio trucks, but there are two that are simular to my Light Warning Truck,

One refurs to a Type 105 Radio Vehicle, the other a Type 267 mk.1 although this is on a Bedford cab/chassis, the back body is very simular to mine, the body is refured to as a 'type E' stores ref 16a/1672.

The discription states:-

This is a mobile Monitoring unit used for centimetric pulsed transmissions. Three aerial systems are provided, one to cover the upper end, one set in the horizontal plane and the other in the vertical plane.

the equipment consists of a pair of waveguid aerials mounted on a suitable turning gear...............it goes on for pages!

The Equipment listed is :-

Two recievers Type R.1392D

Two power units Type 234A

Control Unit Type 7a

Transmitter-Reciever Type TR.5043

Power unit type 15

Petrol Generating set, 1260w, 35V

Control unit Type 714

Control unit Type 715

Indicator CRT Type4

Power unit type 820

Amplifying unit type A.3269

Test set Type 219

The purpose of this installation is a mobile VHF direction finder station.

Here is a photo of the above, sadly it does not show the Aerial set up.

Your thoughts Gentlemen !

Jules

Hi Jules The E body shell was used for many different RVTs and was mounted on a variety of chassis hence the big cut out to clear the rear wheel.

The Type 105 was during WW2 and after mounted on the Commers as Richard has stated, about 1953 a number of Type 105 were remounted onto Austin K9 chassis. The Raf museum has one of these.

Both these bodies were different from your light warning.

Would you be kind enough to please post some more pages from the book you have on loan, I believe several members will be very interested in it.

thanks TED

HI Richard,

Thanks for that info mate. I will check the chassis details. I've never seen any Light Warning bodies on a Morris. Only WOT2. I've seen pix of Guy Ants with the Wireless body. Would they have been specific truck for the individual body? Same as you only see the E type body on MWs.

Simon

Simon,

If as I suspect, the MCC Light Warning truck is a C4 MkII, then the body may not be interchangeable with a WOT2, because the wheel arch on a MkII is to the rear of the centre of body (WOT2 has wheel in centre of body, I seem to think) due to the longer wheelbase. Also , I once had a C4 handbook and do think it listed Light Warning in the body types.

Here is a very interesting photo that Simon sent me, and the same angle taken of my body.

As I have said before, the guy I got the truck from thought it was a radio body and again thought that the 5" hole in the forward end of the roof was for a fan, but I now think it was for the main pole to go through.

See what you make of the original photo, sadly I only have this photocopy, there are lots of interesting shadows !

I would guess that somewhere there must be a series of photos showing the inside.

Hope my scan works, if not I will try again.

Jules

Image010.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image011.jpg

Jules,

I blew that last pic up (ker-boom!) and I think the front truck is an MW with an E body. You can see the sloping bonnet, footstep and fuel tank, plus the right hand door is open too, so that truck (whatever is it) has 2 doors on the back I think.... def has no ladder or room for one...

what do you reckon???

Also reading some letters from my dad to his parents in 1943 whilst he was training in the R. Sigs at Catterick and out on the Yorks moors he mentions working in 3 ton wireless trucks with big metal swivel chairs with arms, which must be the one you have and like the ones in the pix of the burnt out Dorchester on the other thread. What a co-incidence that he mentions it!!!

Simon