Armour & Embarkation. Dorset 2010.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of points to consider:

This event is close to Tankfest in date and location. I wonder if there is any scope for visiting tanks to appear at bovy as well?

second point is not so good. My Valentine was taken to Dorset this year to appear, amongst other places at Weymouth Veterans Parade. Despite being the only British Armour used to train American tank crews (the DD crews) and having the enthusiastic support of the organisers, the Highways Department were adamant that NO steel tracks would be allowed so my tank never took part. It would be a problem for Armour and Embarkation if the same county highways department imposed the same ban: might be worth checking it out.

One really annoying thing about Weymouth is that they close the road so have control over who uses it. My Valentine is road registered so they could not stop me driving it down the promenade at any other time but the time of the parade itself, I was unable to use the (closed) road without their permission!

A couple of points to consider:

This event is close to Tankfest in date and location. I wonder if there is any scope for visiting tanks to appear at bovy as well?

second point is not so good. My Valentine was taken to Dorset this year to appear, amongst other places at Weymouth Veterans Parade. Despite being the only British Armour used to train American tank crews (the DD crews) and having the enthusiastic support of the organisers, the Highways Department were adamant that NO steel tracks would be allowed so my tank never took part. It would be a problem for Armour and Embarkation if the same county highways department imposed the same ban: might be worth checking it out.

One really annoying thing about Weymouth is that they close the road so have control over who uses it. My Valentine is road registered so they could not stop me driving it down the promenade at any other time but the time of the parade itself, I was unable to use the (closed) road without their permission!

John that is a very good point and I know Kev will be speaking with them to see what can be done.

That is a real shame about Weymouth as that would of been something special to see that in the parade. When I watch you at Trucks and Troops driving around the arena there it didn't seem to do any damage - and it looked like you were having fun too!!

You will be coming to Armour and Embarkation with your Valentine. Right?!

John that is a very good point and I know Kev will be speaking with them to see what can be done.

That is a real shame about Weymouth as that would of been something special to see that in the parade. When I watch you at Trucks and Troops driving around the arena there it didn't seem to do any damage - and it looked like you were having fun too!!

You will be coming to Armour and Embarkation with your Valentine. Right?!

I will but only if I can drive! Weymouth wanted me to go but stay on the low loader!

Did not see you at Trucks and Troops but you are right, it did no damage. It never does unless it is 80 degrees plus!

Did you see our 'radio control tank' stunt? It is apparently on YouTube although I can't see it myself as I am still on dial up and I am too old to wait for it to come down the telephone line!

Yes please Dave! Organic food, yes?

`ere Jack lad being a country lad jou have nuff time to grow plenty veggies for all the troops expected, "Dig for Victory Boy " and use plenty of organic matter (no Bull S*** ) with all those daughters ---- you have land girls on tap .

Cheers for now

Ashley

Guys just what you want for this event......

http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=103777

Perhaps we could have a whip round?

Paul

Just to advise that I have made contact with the owners of the Private Ryan landing craft with a view to having it at the event, and if I get a favourable reply will forward it on.

Although I have booked a berth at Weymouth for a sailing yatch it is not the type of ship to embark vehicles or troops, but if there is anything that I can to do in helping in organising then will be pleased to contribute. My professional life is a business project manager and am a qualified maritime skipper.

Just to advise that I have made contact with the owners of the Private Ryan landing craft with a view to having it at the event, and if I get a favourable reply will forward it on.

Although I have booked a berth at Weymouth for a sailing yatch it is not the type of ship to embark vehicles or troops, but if there is anything that I can to do in helping in organising then will be pleased to contribute. My professional life is a business project manager and am a qualified maritime skipper.

Wow,..................now that sounds good. :)

My brother has recently been looking into the contribution made by the Fire Service in the lead up to D Day. There was a great deal of mobilisation to provide fire cover to the massive storage dpots building up in the south, there was also involvement in building the mulberrys and many other things. My brother (and a few friends) own wartime fire appliances. Would there be a place for them at the event and would they be welcome if I can arouse their interest?

WOW - I am sure we could work something out! Well done and thank you for your help!

The place must be crumbling very fast indeed , if the street lights are going now what of the traffic lights and bridges ? Certainly the man hole covers are not to be trusted either .

Quick get out while you can .

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Certainly the man hole covers are not to be trusted either .

Quick get out while you can .

They are all nearly new mate as the pikeys nicked most of them and took them in for scrap.:-Dget your govnt to issue us a lifetime visa and i will be over faster than concorde:cool2:

They are all nearly new mate as the pikeys nicked most of them and took them in for scrap.:-Dget your govnt to issue us a lifetime visa and i will be over faster than concorde:cool2:

Broomstick being serviced ready for the off CW?:-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Broomstick being serviced ready for the off CW?:-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

The 4th Dorsetshire living history group will be there (i think were already booked in!)

Along with my Austin K2 GS lorry and my mates Dingo (which i know is booked in!

So you have one piece of armour, one soft skin and infantry:yay:

Colin

Capt 4th Dorsets

• 3 weeks later...