Check your driving licence

Markheliops

We advise all our LGV drivers to copy their licences (both parts and both sides) before they send them to DVLA (for any reason!!) and too carefully check their entitlements and length of entitlement (not unknown for a driver to have type 2 diabetes only to have his LGV entitlement reduced to three years not 5years) on its eventual return.

At least if you have a copy of the original it is a starting point for any dispute.

I would also suggest that everybody checks the expiry date of the photo licence (item 4b) as it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for DVLA not to send a reminder.

It is also a good precaution to check someones licence if you are going to let them drive your vehicle, no licence category often means no insurance!!!

There is some good advice on the DVLA web site for licence checking and what to look for.

If it is an Eastern European licence the only advice I can give is to make sure there is no Tippex on it and it hasnt been copied too often!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brooky
spelling

• 1 year later...
Don't panick...

The DVLA said yesterday that the date of expiry was carried on the new-style licences, but was unable to say whether motorists were told the licences would expire when they were first issued.

A spokesman said: 'It is important that photocards are updated every ten years to ensure the police and other enforcement agencies can identify whether a driving licence is being used fraudulently.'

The agency is sending reminders to drivers whose photocard is due to expire, and no one has so far been charged with failing to surrender their licence.

The Association of British Insurers and the Department for Transport said that insurance cover was not affected if drivers failed to update their photocard.

Well that one has gone out the window, my licence expires in 13 days & no reminder has been received.. time to check the date on your licence

July 2010 for me...

Did you know the BBC Watchdog programme are having a go at the DVLA for the number of total screw-ups they make every year that affect peoples livelihoods?? Apparenly they (DVLA) have no on to answer to such as an Ombusdman and if they do screw up there is no right of appeal.....

There's always the Small Claims Court if DVLA screw up and there's a resultant loss of earnings.

Sent mine off nearly two weeks ago - via recorded delivery - no sign of it coming back yet though. When it does rest assured it will be compared with the scanned copies I have here to make sure they haven't taken my "H" group off. Again. :banghead:

A year ago I finally had to replace the licence I'd steadfastly held onto for 22 years since I'd last changed addresses. Obviously I got the new photocard type. I spent a long time trying to find group H on my new licence. I found the bike licence easily enough. I don't expect to drive either a bike or a track-laying vehicle steered by its tracks ever again, but it was a matter of principle. I had a group H licence when I sent it off: why did I not now?

Then I noticed that they had lowercased the h and tacked it onthe end of a long list of things I am licensed for, not in the logical place. What a waste of my time. And yours too, probably, if you've read this.

;o)

Then I noticed that they had lowercased the h and tacked it onthe end of a long list of things I am licensed for, not in the logical place. What a waste of my time. And yours too, probably, if you've read this.

They're 'hidden in the small print' as those categories are the ones that aren't harmonised across the EU. A, B, B1, C, C1, D, D1 and +E are all internationally recognised, but the others vary by country ;)

Stone

• 2 years later...

Guys,

I currently have an old paper license which was last re-issued in 1998 (on move of house). I’ve now moved again (from Cambraidgeshire Fenlands) back home to Gods own county (Yorkshire). If I just send off the licence as is (after taking a copy) are they going to write back to me insisting on a photo and forcing me to have one of these wretched ID cards ?

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
Formatting

Guys, I currently have an old paper license which was last re-issued in 1998 (on move of house). I’ve now moved again (from Cambraidgeshire Fenlands) back home to Gods own county (Yorkshire).If I just send off the licence as is (after taking a copy) are they going to write back to me insisting on a photo and forcing me to have one of these wretched ID cards ?Kind regards to allVulture

A simple answer to that is yes on changing address they insist that you change you're licence to the 'new' photocard version. Me and the missus didn't get any choice ten years ago we had to change.

Likewise

When I changed address years ago I sent my "proper" Heavy Good Licence (a nice black booklet with a crest on the front) away and got a piece of paper back

Was gutted I had gone from "Class 1 HGV" to C+E (had to phone DVLA to ask them what I could drive now)

Doesnt sound so good does it