James ML Restoration

Stefano

Hello there you lovely lot,

As I've promised myself that both the ML and the 'flea are going to Pegasus, and Normandy '09 draws inexorably nearer, I've decided to bite the bullet and have started to blitz the James. It's a bit of a mess, but it's refreshing to work on a bike that can dismantled and bagged up in less than a day! Here are some pics. Funny how I'd never noticed the contract plate until I took the rear number plate off, and how this early example was painted originally in S.C.C. 2. The footrest/centre stand area has been pretty badly mucked around with too...

IMG_3156_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3157_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3158_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3161_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3163_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3176_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3174_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3177_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3179_1_1_1_1.JPG

Edited by Stefano

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics of the beadblasted engine cases, hmm.. not so good, the flywheel side crankcase needs a bit of welding.. Incidentally, has anybody out there got a decent rear wheel/hub? My backplate is saveable but the hub comes from goodness knows where (bit of a problem that...)

Will keep you all posted as it goes along,

All the Best,

Stefano

IMG_3206_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3210_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3208_1_1_1_1.JPG

Interesting cracks Stefano ! Has it exploded a gearbox at some time ?

Do you know this picture from the Canadian archives ?

jamesmlcanarchpa162538nxu3.th.jpg

It's always nice to find a contract plate. Have you found any of those Ministry control M ^ marks on the cases or the frame ? They seem to have been common earlier in the war and then declined in use.

I would think that "Topolino a molla" would be the closest approximation....

Honestly I don't know why the crankcase went where it did, because the layshaft 1st gear would really have to fly around to do that sort of damage. I think some mechanic of yore probably hit it with a hammer, just for the hell of it. The crankshaft on the flywheel end is bent as well, so maybe he just had it in with this particular bike..

• 1 month later...

Hello Stefano !, Happy new year 2009!!!!!

Information for your restauration : For the contract number = s 1972 du frame number ML2 to 3541 engine number prefix AAA....... quantity production 3540 to 03/1943 serial number wd = 5146002 to 5149541 ======your serial number wd is C. 5146515 ....what do to be done make a picture in topic of my James wd??? do you help me , please ..mail = thierry.simon10@livefr or contact@cycles-up.com

Thierry,

I'm afraid that I don't know how to see your photos, why don't you try posting them on the forum? As regards the "ML" numbers, I've found that most of the cycle parts are stamped this way, and the numbers correspond to those used in the spare parts catalogue. My lower steering stem has the /l\ (War Department) mark as well. Photocopies of the Spare Parts and Workshop manuals are available from Bruce Main Smith or Groucho Publishing.

Cheers,

Stefano

My lower steering stem has the /l\ (War Department) mark as well.

Cheers,

Stefano

Salve Stefano,

I guess that under the broad arrow you'll also find a letter M and a number, am I correct? If so, could you tell me what number that is please? I am compiling a list with these numbers, each inspector (who put this stamp on the bike) had a unique number. It looks as if the inspectors stayed at a factory for a limited period of time. This stamp can be useful for dating a certain motorcycle!

Thanks for your help,

Jan

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of pictuers of my James ML and its little friend the Mk.1 Welbike.For the numbers man, the ML no. 1547 and the welbike 883.Yes I know that a Mk.1 Welbike did not have a rear mudguard.My answer to that is, if you were getting your uniform splattered with mud etc and your mate was nice and clean on his Mk.2 you might go to the MT shop and beg a rear mudguard from them. John

WWII BIKES 001.jpg

WWII BIKES 003.jpg

WWII BIKES 005.jpg

• 1 month later...

O.K. A quick progress report on the James.

All the cycle parts have been sandblasted and wash primed.

The footrest tube had been badly mucked about with, so I cut off the end plates and using new bits supplied by Terry Roberts I clamped everything together in the right position and welded new plates back on (see pics)

I drilled out the old brake pedal spindle and made up a new oversize one and reamed out the frame bush to suit. I've still got to wait until everything goes back together again so I can position the relay lever properly

The petrol tank filler neck had been cut off and replaced with a cork(!) at some point so I cannibalized a knackered oil tank from a sixties A.J.S. and welded the new neck in place.

I cut the rear mudguard extension off and reshaped it as it was. A few of the stays needed straightening so I ground off the rivets and then turned up some new ones to the correct dimensions

Bought all the bits I needed for the engine from Villiers Services and have already pressed up the crankshaft with a new crankpin and rod

Straightened the fork blades, but still have to sort out the spindles.

Most of the cycle parts are now in filler primer waiting to be rubbed down and painted in S.C.C. 2

I'll post up a few more pictures soon.

IMG_3415_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3420_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3421_1_1_1.jpg

IMG_3469_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3470_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3473_1_1_1_1.jpg

Edited by Stefano

Right then,

Had a look at the fork spindles and links, not so good.... I finished up by making up a set of o/s spindles from 10mm C45 bar, and I reamed out the spindle bores to suit. Unfortunatley, the bottom steering stem spindle bore was well and truly bent, and needed a go with the oxy aceteline to get it about right. The two bottom links were bent so needed straightening, whereas those at the top were completely shot, so I made up a new pair. To finish off I made a set of fork link nuts from imperial hexagonal bar and a pair of knurled thrust washers. Next on the list is a run through the fasteners to see what can be salvaged and what needs doing from scratch..

Edited by Stefano

• 2 months later...

hi there, i am maarten from Holland and proud owner of a 1944 james ml fr.no. 8439. i am currently planning restoration, but, probably like the rest of you, i am missing some parts. hope you guys can help me out. for starters, i am looking for the flywheel cover screws.. anybody? thanks

Edited by s.staffordsman

• 3 weeks later...
hi there, i am maarten from Holland and proud owner of a 1944 james ml fr.no. 8439. i am currently planning restoration, but, probably like the rest of you, i am missing some parts. hope you guys can help me out. for starters, i am looking for the flywheel cover screws.. anybody? thanks

Hiya,

Really sorry for taking so long to get onto this. The screws you need for the flywheel cover are 2BA. The heads are countersunk slotted with a domed head. The length under the head is 6,5mm. Try villiers services because they should have them in stock. In any case, take a look at the photo below to see what they look like

IMG_3808_1_1_1_1.jpg

Also looking for the copper fuel line from tank to carburettor, not the leveller. Thanks

Maarten,

Here are a couple of pictures of what the fuel pipe looks like. Have you got the carburetter union? If you have it's an easy matter to make a new one up.

Cheers,

Stefano

IMG_3809_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3810_1_1_1_1.JPG