Do armies.......

Jack

Artillery shell cases were often reloaded,smaller ammo cases usually went back to the smelter.

Matt.

I'd guess that the expansion of say a tank round case into the breech during firing would affect a large calibre round less than say a rifle round.

I assume that they are made of brass so that they expand to ensure a gas-tight seal. Chieftain fired a 120mm round propelled by a bag-charge (no brass cases to clutter the bottom of the turret after firing - everything went downrange except for a vent tube like a blank which detonated the cordite in the bag charge. The Chieftain gun was unbelievably complicated by its need for an obturator to seal the breech before firing, as there was no brass case to do this.

A friend of mine was in Vietnam in 1969-70 and he tells me his battery(who were equipped with 105 Howitzers),were still getting brass shell cases with 44 and 45 dates on them,although the later steel shell cases were also supplied.

I know that .50 cases can be reloaded,depending on the condition of the case,how many times it's been used etc.

Matt.