Eager Beaver record Cards

antarmike

Question

Has anyone any ideas. I wrote to RLC museum deepcut, to find the record card for my Eager Beaver. After some time they wrote back saying they did not hold any record cards for the APFLT. They said RE Museum, Chatham held the cards. I wrote to RE Museum and it has taken them six months to come back saying they don't hold any record cards for Eager Bearvers, but they have some general technical information on the model.

If RLC and RE Museums dont hold any record cards for any of the Eager Beaver Fork lift trucks, who else might?

• Answers 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Particularly like to know if roll cage was Army fitted? , it would have been on at that time...

Mission accomplished

eagerBeaver.jpg

Walked into local DVLA office in lincoln at 3.30 today and was out at 4.00 with a tax disc and a permit to obtain new reg Plates for FW. Went for this one first since it is drivable... FZ will follow.....

"Mike, for the record 233 Sqdn RCT(VR) was part of 155 (Wessex) Regt RCT(VR) - sadly now defunct as part of one of the Gov't defence cuts.

I've asked the question on the RCT forum for you to see if anyone is there from 233 Sqdn who might remember this vehicle. If anyone replies I'll paste it here for you."

"T19/07/84 233 Squadron, Royal Corps of Transport (V) 23/09/84

This squadron was part of 155 (Wessex) Regiment and had a role supporting the UK Mobile Force. Its marking after the formation of 1 Brigade was ‘1/152’. It was based in Blighmont, Millbrook Road, Southampton with a Troop in Weymouth and another in Portsmouth. It was a Tipper Squadron."

eagerbeaver010-1.jpg

So that explains this, but who are 3F2?

Edited by antarmike

Can anyone give more info on the radio remote controlled Eager Beavers referred to in the last paragraph of this item?

Mike,

I don't know where that article was published, but it might be a slight mistake. Royal Engineers did actually have some remote control equipment, for bomb disposal work, one I knew of was a Hymac 360 degree excavator. This had a large cable drum on the rear which was connected to a control point. Radio operated equipment used when dealing with bombs could trigger them, hence using wire control. I do recollect something about an E/Beaver being remote controlled.

Can anyone give more info on the radio remote controlled Eager Beavers referred to in the last paragraph of this item?

Terry Gander refers to it in his books for moving a suspect car to a more suitable place for EOD to sort out. But the application here is for moving Wheelbarrow in closer over rough terrain.

EBRemotea.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Next daft question, I am trying to get a better idea of what the spotlight above the Offside headlight is. Some point up, some point down, others just don't have them. Anyone recognise the type of lamp, knows a part number description or has a better photo of one i'd like to know.

Mike,

In the last pic that Clive has posted, the strip down one, the worklight looks to be a standard ploughing lamp as fitted to many farm tractors of the period, either Butlers or Lucas. I do not recollect details of when I worked on them, so going by the photo here. A parts list might throw more light on this :)

Air-portability strip down.

EB01.jpg

Obviously most parts are removed to lower the trucks height, but removing things like the Crane attachment, and the fire extinguisher are to lighten the vehicle, but it therefore seems odd that the Tine extensions are left stowed on the truck, when it is moved by air lifted. Or do you only take of the bare minimum to reduce the weight, rather than taking off the easy items to save weight?

And going back to lamps, in this highly pixelated iamage, this just could be a lucas spot light/foglight if the pattern with a chromed bullet in the centre of the glass and a raised decorative lug on the top of the lamp. (ie just as you would find on a car of the day...? or am I guessing to much?

lamp2.jpg

Or is it just me wishing that is what it is cos I have a brand new one in a box I need to find a home for?

Edited by antarmike

Obviously most parts are removed to lower the trucks height, but removing things like the Crane attachment, and the fire extinguisher are to lighten the vehicle, but it therefore seems odd that the Tine extensions are left stowed on the truck, when it is moved by air lifted. Or do you only take of the bare minimum to reduce the weight, rather than taking off the easy items to save weight?

Mike,

From my recollections of working with these, the User Handbook described how they could be transported by HS Andover or Hercules. Now I have never seen photos of one being loaded in an Andover, but it would have to be through side doors, so forks would be removed to keep length and height down. The removal of the fire extinguisher might be of an air safety issue as it is pressurised.