Schwimvagen...

ArtistsRifles

Problem of rebuilding a Schwim is the running gear. All metal panels are now available on the Czech repro market, and even saw complete bodies being sold within the last 6 months. Recently rebuilt the whole of the front and rear ends on my Kubel - not for the faint-hearted. To the best of my knowledge, the 4WD addition + water proofing of the Schwimm makes it an even greater challenge ! As for cost well, best join the Schwimm / Kubel register on www.vw166.com and see whats going on.

• 3 months later...

There was one or two that went for a little over 100K-150K USD within the last 2 years in an auction, so all the Schwimmer owners thought they could get that to, it was a freak buy that someone paid that much. Most are listed from 100-200K USD and aren't selling at all, I think that 80+ is probably where you will start to see some sell again. The price of Stuarts in the USA has gone through the roof, some are advertised for 200-250K USD now, if someone wants it bad enough and they have enough money then they will pay just to have it, they were about 100K several years ago, fully restored.... I had a chance to buy a M18 Hellcat for about 125K in 2006, it sold in 2009 for 250K plus.. :banghead:

There was one or two that went for a little over 100K-150K USD within the last 2 years in an auction, so all the Schwimmer owners thought they could get that to, it was a freak buy that someone paid that much. Most are listed from 100-200K USD and aren't selling at all, I think that 80+ is probably where you will start to see some sell again. The price of Stuarts in the USA has gone through the roof, some are advertised for 200-250K USD now, if someone wants it bad enough and they have enough money then they will pay just to have it, they were about 100K several years ago, fully restored.... I had a chance to buy a M18 Hellcat for about 125K in 2006, it sold in 2009 for 250K plus.. :banghead:

I agree, having been really active researching all things VW166 over the last year. Very recently a 'almost complete' 166, in 'fair condition', that was about 80% restored sold for approx 45 K Euros. My guess because my offer iof 40k was not enough.

The high prices are not (IMO) sustainable, and are a temporary glitch caused by the current economic climate.

just a thought. regards Mark.

As soon as we talk WW2 armour, that is a different story, parallels there lie firmly with the Vintage Sports Car people, whom 85% are Millionaires. I know some who are regular* guys, but they are few and far between, mainly having entered into the hobby well before the cars became popular and expensive.

*Own farms with shops and deal in cash :-)

I remember back in Normandy 94, one of the M5 Stuarts had a gearbox failure, the guys were stripping it out and a reconditioned replacement was being overnight shipped from the UK down to a field in Normandy to fix it! No..I thought..I haven't got that kind of money:-\

PS the M5 owner owned an Industrial Estate in the Midlands - ah, that's where he got all the money:idea:

Well, I'm glad to be in the 15% but still not being what you consider to be a regular guy. I do have a small engineering business but I bet you I earn considerably less than you!

Buying the £150,000 tank/schwimmwagen or whatever may mean you are well off, having one already certainly does not. Now, where is that green faced smily?

• 5 months later...