Operation Bolero 2010

M5Clive

Never got my masterpieces (:-D) added to this collection - so if anyone wants them, ask. I am (as ever) hugely backed up with stuff at the moment. But I do keep my promises eventually.

The Barnes archive is currently in a storage unit a mile or so from my house - so I cannot do this for a bit.

MB

Yes please, I would love a copy of all those pics....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Clive, My wallet has just about recovered from last time, Book in 1 x Diamond T 981 for 2010

If spaces are limited to 100 vehicles you are going to be a very busy boy once word gets out!

Dave

Diamond T 981

Land Rover 101 gs

Thanks to the pix requesters. Right - I will sort a disk out when I get my house back in the fag end of this year or early next. But please PM me and keep nagging. I find I will have to make a job diary for all these tasks.

If Mr Murdoch makes me redundo in January I will have bags of time....I'll be playing Scrapheap Challenge.

M:-D

Hi Clive,

Count me in 1x GMC 352

I came to the last event as a passenger one of the best weekends ever, 3 to 5 days would be spot on, more than happy to pay an entrance fee, perhaps a some food and drink on the chosen site? perhaps a portion of an entrance fee could go to a good cause within the ex military movement,

would it be worth having a map of the local area showing the fuel stations, for those people who do not know the area. As I recall there were a few people caught out on the last event.

Being as the event is very time consuming to organise is there anything that the rest of us (members)can do to ease the load?

I dont mind if it rains again as my jimmy has a hard cab and 12 volt wipers! :)

Many thanks one and all for the offers of help and for commitment to the event at this early stage - I will start to make a list of those owners who are wanting to attended from HMVF.

Ed Abbott and myself had another informal get together/chit-chat last night about the 2010 bash and are bouncing around some great ideas between us. We have come up with two possible regions/locations to base the event around:

1) South Suffolk/North Essex taking in eight USAAF bases of the 3rd Air Division

2) North Suffolk/South Norfolk taking in up to 13 (but probably not all of them) USAAF bases of the 2nd and 3rd Air Division.

My gut instinct at this stage is to run with the South Suffolk option but nothing has been decided. Both areas have pros and cons, advantages and dis-advantages. The truth of the matter is of course that their is no right answer!

We have discussed some ideas below:

All social activities to take place on-site.

Up to Five Day event incorporating a separate on-site social day.

Parking on concrete, camping on grass. Consider paying a farmer to sow a grass area adjacent to concrete ahead of time - instead of crops.

Lottery and Sponsorship funding.

Appropriate aircraft to land on a suitable Drome within the Bolero Zone.

Previous Bolero 2007 entrants given preference to book-in.

Entrance Fee - (Proportion deductible upon arrival) to include cost of T-Shirt and plaque.

All for now.

• 1 month later...

First and foremost THANK YOU to you guys for even contemplating putting on such an event for the benefit of us all. Bit of a light hearted moan though about the 'jeepism'. Like it or not, they were EVERYWHERE during the war, much as they are at shows now!!!. If there is room at base camp, could the jeep owners come and join in, with perhaps a rota of a few jeeps on each convoy each day? Mine for instance, is marked up as 783rd MP Bn, which operated on the Red Ball route, so would look great alongside a convoy of Jimmies.

As for charging entrants, if the event is for 'our' benefit rather than open to the public then of course the organisers can not be out of pocket. Perhaps a public day could offset some expenses? I think we all know the chances of getting decent sponsorship these days.

Finally, personaly I think 5 days may be a bit of a tall order, and quite a commitment for many, disappearing from work/home for 3 days is probably alot easier for most.

I wish you well with organisation, I was at RTV with my Jeep - It was the best weekend i've ever had with MVs.

• 4 weeks later...

I don`t want to see jeeps excluded from the convoys but OP BOLERO was billed as a heavy truck event, a fact i pointed out to someone who moaned about the Diamond T`s lack of speed.

What about giving the jeep owners the option of a convoy of their own? especially if the distances are creeping up.

Anothher observation where a jeep can go anywhere, some of the vehicles booking in are going to need a lot of help on some of the junctions, It was bad enough in the T but at least i didn`t have a trailer on.

wherever we go i`m sure it will be a great event, Roll on 2010!

Dave

Diamond T 981

Land Rover 101 GS

Sounds like its building nicely. I'd just like to add also though, on a practical note that I recon a 5 day event is asking a lot... Given that it means most people will have to take a full week off work to attend all the event, not to mention the cost of running thirsty trucks for 5 days, plus travel to and from, will be prohibitive for many people (who may be feeling the pinch in the months to come). I am considering getting the truck down to this one as I'd love to do it, but couldn't stand the cost of running it round for 5 days.

£400 to get it there say another £200 on fuel at least over 5 days plus food etc & I'm self employed so lost earnings as well. I think you may find that most attendees will only appear at the weekend. I know people set up for a week and more at W&P but that is primarily a static event and once you're there, you're there! I hope this dosen't come across as negative but I'd think carefully as it could be frustrating to organise runs, visits, displays etc to be attended by only a handfull of people...

For what it's worth...

• 1 year later...

Not dead, but I agree that things have been dormant for a while, so high time for an update!

Ed Abbott, my partner Suzanne and myself organise this even out of passion, ambition and the desire to want to do it. Only if we feel these three key ingredients will the event work - and exceed everyones expectations, including our own. Home life has been pretty hectic since the last Bolero in 2007, with plenty to keep us diverted from doing another one - A new baby, building a new house, becoming a director of the business that I run etc etc, you simply cannot do it all and if I don't have enough free time to commit to putting together an event, then I won't do a half hearted effort either!

I still can't quite believe that it was June 2007 that we did the last one - It only seems like last year. However, both Ed and I are responsible for the planning, running and general organisation of the Route to Victory convoys in Wiltshire in May this year. We also did the same for the 2008 Route to Victory. Those loyal followers who attend our convoy's 'country wide' will know how much fun the 'Route to Victory' convoy weekends are and will appreciate that we simply cannot do both in a year - It is just too much.

Therefore, the plan as far as i see it is to do RTV one year and Operation Bolero the next, which will mean we are due for a Bolero in 2011. The event takes about a year to put together and as you can see from all the comments on this thread, people are eager for it to run again and people have been very constructive in their comments on what they want from the event.

So to conclude, yes we still plan to do the event again. For those wanting Bolero more central in the Country be sure to book into Route to Victory this May Bank Holiday weekend which is looking to be another corker and for those who prefer to keep their bar tread in East Anglia it will be Bolero 2011, somewhere in Eight Air Force territory!

Not forgetting Jack's exciting new venture in deepest Dorset of course in June this year which seems to be attracting a great deal of interest as well - After all, he did learnt from the best!!

Ha bloody ha. The underneath is a Toyota..and yes we had the gas pedal fixed last year because it kept going all floppy. Mr Toyoda himself sent my Mrs a brown envelope full of dolphin flavoured crisps (which we gave to the cat) by way of an apology. I think it might have been more fun to watch him commit sepuku live on TV - but I have had a really cr4p day at the office, so I'd be just has happy with a decent cup of tea and an early night.

You'll be fifty one day.

M

• 2 weeks later...