British Motley Bren Mount

Marmite!!

Hi,

I was at Duxford today & came across an unusual twin anti-aircraft Bren Mount, it had an MOD tag on it which said "British Motley Bren Mount"

It rotates a full 360 & mounts with 4 bolts, anyone any idea what this would of been mounted on, I have been on the Duxford Forum & they are asking the same question.

6368fbad.jpg

Hi,

I was at Duxford today & came across an unusual twin anti-aircraft Bren Mount, it had an MOD tag on it which said "British Motley Bren Mount"

It rotates a full 360 & mounts with 4 bolts, anyone any idea what this would of been mounted on, I have been on the Duxford Forum & they are asking the same question.

Lee,

It was often seen fitted in the rear of 15 cwt trucks during WW2. I am surprised you have not seen the one mounted on a Bedford MW, a regular at Beltring. I think it originally belonged to Colin Brookes from Essex, some years back.

Richard

I know where there's something similiar to this,or at least the base. it's much heavier and slightly larger and the part where the swivel mounts is brass,I don't think it's from a vehicle but more likely a ground mount of some kind.

Hard discribe without pictures!

Matt.

I know where there's something similiar to this,or at least the base. it's much heavier and slightly larger and the part where the swivel mounts is brass,I don't think it's from a vehicle but more likely a ground mount of some kind.

Hard discribe without pictures!

Matt.

Hi Matt ,

Sounds intresting anychance of a pic ? was it for sale ?

what weapon do you think it would have .

Thanks Russ

Hi Russ,

I'll go and see if I can get some pics,it's actually part buried on a former firing range near here! not sure what it could have mounted,Lewis maybe?

On another range there are/were several WW1 18lb limber chassis's and the remains of a large artillery piece. once the snow clears I'll have a look.

Matt.

Hi Russ,

I'll go and see if I can get some pics,it's actually part buried on a former firing range near here! not sure what it could have mounted,Lewis maybe?

On another range there are/were several WW1 18lb limber chassis's and the remains of a large artillery piece. once the snow clears I'll have a look.

Matt.

great cheers

• 2 months later...

The Motley mount was used for AA. There are a few versions : MkI till MkIV have only one Bren LMG on it. Because more firepower was needed these mount were adjusted so they could hold two Bren LMG (the Mk1A till Mk IVA.

DDE3150GAasmall.JPG

A new mount MkV was also developed for two Bren LMG.

DDEIP3287BS1small2.JPG

The mount were indeed for 15cwt Trucks such as the Bedford, but some were mounted in Light utility Trucks like the Austin, Hillman and Morris.

H23073a.jpg

More information can be found in : "Small Arms Training Volume I, Pamplet No. 6 (G.S. Publication 936, 1943)"

The picture shows (I think) a Motley Mount Mk1A. If it´s possible I would love to have that picture for an article I writing about the Motley.

Cheers,

Arjan van der Hoek

• 1 year later...

The Canadians tested one of these mounts in the only Canadian GP, which made it over to the UK. The other six GP's were sunk on their way over.

For those who do not know the GP was a ford 1/4 ton 4x4 made before the Jeep was standardized.

Thanks

Eric

• 5 years later...

Hello Arjan

I have found the three whitworth threaded nuts in the floorboards of my Austin Tilly to locate a Motley mount. Would it be possible to send me a copy of the manual and the drawings at a decent size please?

Regards

Pino

The Motley mount was used for AA. There are a few versions : MkI till MkIV have only one Bren LMG on it. Because more firepower was needed these mount were adjusted so they could hold two Bren LMG (the Mk1A till Mk IVA.

DDE3150GAasmall.JPG

A new mount MkV was also developed for two Bren LMG.

DDEIP3287BS1small2.JPG

The mount were indeed for 15cwt Trucks such as the Bedford, but some were mounted in Light utility Trucks like the Austin, Hillman and Morris.

H23073a.jpg

More information can be found in : "Small Arms Training Volume I, Pamplet No. 6 (G.S. Publication 936, 1943)"

The picture shows (I think) a Motley Mount Mk1A. If it´s possible I would love to have that picture for an article I writing about the Motley.

Cheers,

Arjan van der Hoek

• 7 years later...