A day out for a Vet

Radio Hartlepool launched as Hartlepool's full time local Radio Station on Tuesday 14th October after running a number of broadcasting trials for more than six years. The Radio Station was officially opened by WW2 Dunkirk and Arnhem Veteran Mr Percy Fielding ( a Para with 16 jumps to his name ), along with Radio Hartlepool's Chairman, Mr Geoff Hainsworth ( Hartlepool's Round The World Yachtsman and author of T'Early Bird ).

I took my Jeep down to Hartlepool and collected Percy from his home, then took him for a ride around before arriving at the radio station where he cut the ribbon and unveiled the Studio front window.

The morning after the launch, the station received a telephone call from a Mr Ernest Sedgewick, who had seen our article in the Northern Echo and told us that he fought alongside Percy on the Bridge at Arnhem and that they had not been in touch for such a long time. Ernest contacted Percy and they are back in touch again, as Ernest said, there are not many of them left.

Steve

radio3.jpg

radio8.jpg

Nice work Steve,

recently whilst walking the dog (approx 11pm) one night i heard the voice of a man moaning,found said chap (OAP) laid out on ground after tripping up. After sorting him out and phoning his son who lived locally then left him to go to bed.

The next day he called round whilst i was at work and saw the jeep in the garage.

Next time i saw him turns out he was an ex signals mechanic (working on jeeps) and was also stationed in Palestine in 1947/1948 with the 6th Airborne. He has never been to a remembrance service, so hopefully if the weather is fine this year he will accompany me to the local Poole service in the jeep

Ashley