AEC Dorcester "Mammouth"

Kuno

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make him an offer he can't refuse :-D

An interesting ideea Richard - however, I've just been nosing through the "For Sale section on the W&P show web site and all the vehicles Rex was advertising have gone form the lists....

Maybe Rex has decided this is not a sellers market????

An interesting ideea Richard - however, I've just been nosing through the "For Sale section on the W&P show web site and all the vehicles Rex was advertising have gone form the lists....

Maybe Rex has decided this is not a sellers market????

Probably all been sold Neil....will be down there shortly..

the middle axle is in place as you can see a bit of the mid axle tire in post # 22 so chances are the all the axles are in place and those on top have nothing to do with the vehicle .

Correct abn deuce....

As far as i can remember both rear axles are on the vehicle, the wheels are off on the O/S rear and thats why it is leaning over. It has fire damage inside. To much work for me but would love one of these vehicles.

Picture144.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Picture151.jpg

100_5834.jpg

As usual looking with my eyes half open late at night! The axles looked to be related to the vehicle from the stud pattern and the hub nut covers. What a pity the fire damage is so bad inside. Is the running gear complete, engine and box there?

Jules

Probably all been sold Neil....will be down there shortly..

Oh dear -what are you investing in this time??? :):)

Be interesting to hear what Rex would sell the old bus for if you get a chance!! Be out of my price range right now - just had a load of bills from the daughter Mk1 I wasn't expecting (books, hopsital clothing & the like) which has made a BIG dent in the funds!! :cry:

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

ARMAT2.jpg

ARMAT1.jpg

This little thing ? I know it well. It has been stripped of all soft furnishings internally, as its last job was as a fire engine.

A fire engine, you say? A bit slow and heavy for a fire engine? Yup, but it was a fire engine at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Bishopton, where they make / made all that stuff that goes bang, so having a bit of armour around your fire engine comes in handy.

It appears to be mechanically complete, but needs the usual gauges, glass, tyres, and so on. Owner even has a spare engine in a crate that he would sell if required. The rot visible on top is only the light sheetmetal curved sections designed to hold out the canvas and make it look like a conventional truck.

It is for sale, but the owner is well-known for his dealing ability and would not be taking any bargain basement bids. The same location did have an Alvis Salamander (missing one wheel) but that had vanished last time I was passing.

I do also have the drawings of the interior and kit lists for this vehicle - but not sure where though.

Gordon

Yes, The Royal Corp of Signals musuem at Blanford Dorset have one.

My grandfather was a driver with the leicestershire yeomanry (guards armoured division ) and landed in normandy about 10 days after D day he often told my father that he drove an armoured matador ,he drove onto a grass verge to let a on coming tank pass by and the matador slipped into a ditch which was later recovered by a canadian sherman .

I wish he had bought it home with him after he was de mobbed :cool2:

People have known about and have been trying to aquire the Scottish one for years so unless the owner has changed his mind I can't see it being sold any time soon.

Regarding the 6X6 example, when it was recovered from Pounds Yard they tried to pull it on one of the axles resulting the current list. Quite if they just ripped the spring hangers off one side of the chassis or did more serious damage (broken axle?) I cannot remember.

Originally Posted by gritineye viewpost.gif

I may be mistaken but isn't Jack after something like the one one the right of this pic?

That thought occured to me as well Bernard and there might be another one next to it.

Well, I don't know the situation in the UK, but here in Holland the Federal truck as pictured is even rarer than the autocar.....it's got a nice curved grille, compared to the bulldog nose of the Autocar/White.

By the way, didn't Rex Cadman offer an Autocar on his own website?

I agree with the others; the AEC deserves a restoration.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Kuno, I am currently working on the restoration of the interior of the IWM's Dorchester, if you need any detailed dimensions let me know and I'll see what I can do for you. We could also use some help tracking down some items we need to complete the restoration, these include the 36 ft steel mast sections, an Antennae rods, ‘F’ cases carrying No2", and some bakelight half dome type covers for the interior lights, if anyone can offer help in locating these we would be most grateful.

Thanks

PT

ARMAT2.jpg

ARMAT1.jpg

This little thing ? I know it well. It has been stripped of all soft furnishings internally, as its last job was as a fire engine.

A fire engine, you say? A bit slow and heavy for a fire engine? Yup, but it was a fire engine at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Bishopton, where they make / made all that stuff that goes bang, so having a bit of armour around your fire engine comes in handy.

It appears to be mechanically complete, but needs the usual gauges, glass, tyres, and so on. Owner even has a spare engine in a crate that he would sell if required. The rot visible on top is only the light sheetmetal curved sections designed to hold out the canvas and make it look like a conventional truck.

It is for sale, but the owner is well-known for his dealing ability and would not be taking any bargain basement bids. The same location did have an Alvis Salamander (missing one wheel) but that had vanished last time I was passing.

I do also have the drawings of the interior and kit lists for this vehicle - but not sure where though.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Does the yard have any more interesting and restorable vehicles, can you pm me the location as I would love to go and see it

regards

gary

• 3 years later...

hi all theres not many of these around , but i have one but its not complete . it does run and drive and sat for 35 years in the back of a showmans yard . i got it for spares but its just to good to break so will restore it as it was on the fairground . will try and put some photos on here for you all.