The OMEGA

Yeah now you mention that I remember reading that somewhere ! Well done Richard ! :bow:

Here perhaps:

icon1.gifRe: Italian heavies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edd viewpost.gif

Iveco also includes Saurer. Visted their technical centre with work a few years ago.

Don't forget Seddon Atkinson, which would also theoretically include Rotinoff.

I don't know which Rotinoff design it couild have been based on. Not the Atlantic/super Atlantic. These were 6x4 with Kirkstall Forge front and rear axles.

The only other truck Rotinoff built was the 6x4 Viscount. (also offered in an 8x4 rigid.) The Viscount was Rolls Petrol engined.

This Atki is a 6x6, I am unaware of Rotinoff venturing into the all wheel drive market.

http://www.photoarchives.co.uk/acatalog/Heavy__British_Trucks.html

You will see that the Omega was offered as a 6x4 but the drive to the rear axle is clearly not to an overhead worm of the Kirkstall axle Rotinoff used. (Overhead worm into Epicylclic reduction)

Chris Hodges website has a side view of the Omega at Earl's Court. This clearly shows rear prop shaft driving to a conventional Hypoid type rear axle.

The Front axle (driven) is very reminiscent of the AEC Matador, Militant front Axle....

Edited by antarmike

I don't know which Rotinoff design it couild have been based on. The Viscount was Rolls Petrol engined.
Sorry, that info must have been from a duff source........another look and found this.. 1965, Atkinson bought up the Rotinoff spares, stock and designs and appeared to be planning production of Rotinoff-type prime moves.........but none were built.Re. the Viscount 6x4, the one I know of, was built with a Rolls supercharged diesel, 6SFL. It had a gross train rating of over 61 tonnes. Edited by Richard Farrant

Rotinoff Viscounts had a 250BHP C6SFL Rolls Royce Diesel fitted Mike.

You might both be right, I found this:

As well as the Atlantic and Super Atlantic, Rotinoff built a 7.3m/24ft wheelbase Viscount GR.37/ AU load-carrying drawbar tractor suitable for Australian road train operations. This had the additional option of a Rolls Royce B.81.8P 8-cylinder gasoline engine rated at 220bhp, designated the Viscount 64.GKS. Also listed was a forward-control Viscount 84.BJS rigid eight drawbar tractor. An estimated 35 Rotinoffs were built. From 1960 onwards the company changed its name from Rotinoff Motors to Lomount Vehicle & Engineering Ltd. Later still, when Lomount ended production in 1962, the design rights were acquired by Atkinson Vehicles Lid of Walton-le-Dale, Preston, who briefly marketed the trucks under the Atkinson name badge

Mike