force 135 vehicles

ford 369

after seeing the humber scout car in mmi this month and noticing it was marked for force 135 I giot to thinking how many other 135 marked vehicles are around and does anybody have any plans on taking them to the channel islands for the 65th annivesry in may 2010

Nigel

Mine for obvious reasons. There are feelers being put put about to do a another show in Jersey for the 65th anniversary. mine will be there come hell or high water. Tony from Axholme signs has practice making the signs for force 135 :-D . The actual Force was only in exestence for about seven weeks. Garrison vehicles on St Aubin's beach.

on beach.JPG

Edited by Tony B

Mine for obvious reasons. There are feelers being put put about to do a another show in Jersey for the 65th anniversary. mine will be there come hell or high water. Tony from Axholme signs has practice making the signs for force 135 :-D . The actual Force was only in exestence for about seven weeks. Garrison vehicles on St Aubin's beach.

oh well if you are taking your dodge and I am taking one or two bikes that will be astart but surely there is some other 135 vehicles out there somewhere ,the humber from mmi that I mentioned for a start,I would be interested in contact details for axholme signs if anyone has them as I will need petrol tank insignia for my bike to go with the force 135 badges on my BD

cheers ,Nigel

will be a start but surely there is some other 135 vehicles out there somewhere ,the humber from mmi that I mentioned for a start,

Nigel,

I suspect the Humber Scout Car with Force 135 signs on, is one that belongs to a Guernsey resident. Not seen the photo in MMI yet, does it have a twin Bren mount on top? If so that is the one.

Force 135 BD unit insignia are available from Simon, whose surname and web site have gone straight out of my head! I'll find it and post. The Force only took 1/3 of it's transport, the rest was liberated, recaptured, re-requisitioned, call it what you will from the Occupiying forces. (The PC Brigade considered it incorect to refer to 'Germans' in 2005) There were bikes taken over. Mark Lamerton's Liberated by Force 135 is the bible.

Three Leopards. – This flash was issued on the 3 rd May 1945. It was worn on the left upper sleeve by all members of the force. The badge is derived from the Arms of the States of Jersey and Gurneresey.

It consists of three gold Leopards on a red ground. Originally the arms appeared on those of King Edward 1st, Duke of Normandy.

Cannon balls flash- The original force allocated to the Liberation was 115th Infantry brigade. Due to causalities the brigade was transferred to the 2nd Army February 1945. The replacement was 302 Infantry Brigade. As this was formed from disbanded coastal Royal Artillery regiments, the flash is formed by the red cannonballs of the Artillery on the blue background of Infantry. This patch was worn on the right sleeve, though some RA personnel wore it on both. It was not worn by the 11th (RMIJ) battalion Hampshire Regiment representatives.

Vehicle markings. – These consisted of the Leopards, plus service arms. Additionally each vehicle carried a board with the number of the LST. Some vehicles had a red band running diagonally on theses boards. This signified the vehicle could move with out direct orders. Most vehicles went straight to the beach parks, and then could only move with orders, to save fuel.

Save0158.jpg

Force 135 BD unit insignia are available from Simon, whose surname and web site have gone straight out of my head! I'll find it and post. The Force only took 1/3 of it's transport, the rest was liberated, recaptured, re-requisitioned, call it what you will from the Occupiying forces. (The PC Brigade considered it incorect to refer to 'Germans' in 2005) There were bikes taken over. Mark Lamerton's Liberated by Force 135 is the bible.

BD insignia is also available from Andrew Butler in Normandy so that is not a problem but vehicle insignia is more difficult although I suppose it could be scanned from a picture to make templates but it is quite a complex design and I am having trouble finding thecorrect size and position details for my bikes tank badge,I have checked Marks book and spoken to him about decent pictures but unfortunately all he can find show the wrong angles to be of much use

cheers ,Nigel

The answer to vehicle signs is easy. Ask Tony at Axholme signs, he has just done some for me, perfect. He made some stick on's to the ratio I asked for.

thats fine ,do you have an email address or phone number for axholme signs? meanwhile I will try google

cheers, Nigel

Can you post pictures? Have you any history on her? Tony can also do stencils, worth asking. Be careful you don't get Lion's, ie with a beard they should be smooth shaved Leapords. The scan I posted is of an original shoulder flash.

Edited by Tony B

Here are a couple of quick ones taken with my phone today.If the badge looks to be correct I will take better pics with a ruler for scale and a direct tracing.They look a little too freehand to me.It is apparently genuine force 135 from Guernsey.As far as it being "her" I'm not sure.How do you sex a motorbike?!!! It is also for sale!!! Let me know if you need more.

Regards

Daren

161008 047.jpg

161008 049.jpg

Badge definitley looks right. It is the Leopard's. Comsidering the speed the whole force was put together I don't suppose precise finish was important. Funnily enough I've never seen any photos of motorbikes in use, but would be worth contacting CIOS see if they have any in the archive.

Thanks for the pics Darren they will be most helpful and it looks like a nice bike but I think it should be fitted with pannier frames as in the latewr war years all larger bikes were although I have to admit I personally prefer the look without .

In the force 135 book if you look at the vehicle lists in the back it does list motorcycles and at the war tunnels archive they have several pictures of force 135 with motorcycles in them but unfortunately never a good enough picture to see the badge painted on the tank.

The one question this picture raises for me is should the badge have a white background ,it may be right I have just never seen one like it before

cheers ,Nigel

Very large OOPS! folks. :blush: Probably the best phot of a Force 135 vehicle at the time. Taken on 24th May 1945, Empire Day. There was a parade of vehicles down Victoria Avenue. There is also a photo with a Gantary vehicle, possibly Austin K6? The picture is CIOS, from Jersey evening Post Archive. I'll see if they still have a decent copy. Notice the White background.

Save0163.jpg

yes I see it and stand corrected all that is needed now is to find out why some have and some have not got the white background,I also had a look through the photographic archive and although I could not find any pictures of bikes in picture sjpa/002341 the soldier on the left appears to be wearing motorcycle breeches

Nigel