Salute to the 40,s.Picture heavy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

Add my bit about the 40's event.

Didn't take my camera so no pictures but thanks to the guys who did - some very good pictures taken - shows the spirit of the event.

HMVF members present were Cat and Pat weazle, Lord Burley and small child, Phil (Metroman), Nick Johns, myself, Ian Bridges and Paul (Cripp). Aplogies if I have missed anyone.

Well done for looking smart CW. I only knew it was the man himself when he opened his mouth - otherwise I thought who is this smart Navy chap.

Those who know me know I don't normally do the re-enactment thing but I must say - this event ranks as one of the best I have been to.

I still went to show my truck to the public and nothing has changed there. The thing with this event was the public could become involved in the event itself and this actually made the show. Everyone I have spoken to remarked what a great event it was. Also found the event very chilled out and relaxed. Of course the glorious weather played a role in the events success.

I will definately be doing this show next year and I would advise anyone who hasn't attended to come along too. Had a great time.

And the Ward behaved effortlessly all through the weekend.

Only thing I would say is I was a bit disappointed with the main military vehicle display. I thought more could have been done in relation to an actual display instead of the vehicles all being parked in a line and then left. Some if not all of the blame must go to the vehicle owners. A bit more enthusiasm from people to display their vehicles would have helped the matter.

I am afraid the public need something a bit more interesting than forty odd vehicles being parked in a straight line. This is why I always try to display my Ward with all the jacks and crane deployed and then hang around to answer questions and show people around the vehicle. Makes my day more interesting and probably jo public's.

Anyways, I moved from my location on the Sunday morning to somewhere a bit more lively - wish I had done it on the Saturday as I had a much more fun day on Sunday. Really felt part of the event.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I have to agree with Mark,we have never dressed up before,it was amazing so many people did,it made the event,maybe the organisers,who did a great job,could benefit from the knowledge of some of the military organisers to site the vehicles in a more atractive manner,this doesnt mean they didnt do a great job,cheers anyone involved,def see us there next year,But what outfit,oh dear hair we go again,not more Grecian.:-D

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
:pfrt: to the lot of you!! I'm sulking even more now. That is the sort of event we want more of. Admittedley the H&S Gestapo would make it a bit fraught but as said the public get involved.

H&S wasnt at any time over zeolous,i agree i would like more of this type of event.i think we all need to combine to survive.having been to so many military shows for god knows how many years i have to admit i am finding them tedious at times.thats why we try to travel so you dont know the people or recognise the vehicles.

I, along with everyone else had a great weekend. The venue is great, and there's so much going on around the site. Met up with plenty of people and great weather as well.

I took a load of pics and you've seen most from the others posted but here's a few.

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Had a tour of the dockyard on Marks Ward on Saturday. :tup::

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

The Blitz ball Saturday night was great, I took a 74 year old along and he said he hasn't had a night out as good as that for about 30 years. Also saw Heliops working the magic on the dance floor.:-D

IMG_0963.jpg

Mrs Weazle came and said hello and I didn't have a clue who she was. :embarrassed: Good disguise. Didn't they look smart though.

C&P.jpg

Garage.jpg

I'm not big on the dressing up usually but I do make a bit of an effort for this one and I think the majority do as well, and in my opinion it's better for it. The amount of people on the vehicle parade route was amazing. Excellent and I can't wait till next year.

Edited by cripp

Found Catweazle in the museum :-D

Picture416.jpg

Picture403.jpg

Another 118

Ian - you have seen CW around too - I saw hime the other day in the day on an aircraft carrier! Reckon he works for MI6

Nice to see Clives old Stuart up and running.

Looks like a great bash.