Beaulieu

Anybody go to Beaulieu this weekend?

Just got back and i feel kna - sorry quite tired. Bought a fix bale helmet shell which i am pleased with. Came across a 1914 WD marked magento (a G4 i think). Couldnt work out what it was off. I phoned Greatest War truck and he had no idea, so as it was £85 i left it. Probably kick myself later on. Saw but did not buy (mostly because there was no price on them and the guy running the stall did not know what to charge) a 1912 dated WD marked boot scraper. An 18pdr leather tool box. Didnt buy (because at £50 it was too expensive) an empty WD tool box, an empty and badly painted officers mess box for £40 and a badly mauled EE8 telephone for £25.

On another stall (French) there was a pile of US jerrycans. Quite nice but price between €45 and €65 each. A Jeep first aid tin €60. I quite liked some NSDAP enamel signs but dreaded to ask the price. Did see and umhed and ahed over was a Universal Carrier parts book. Didnt need it and knew no one who did so left it there at £25.

Not a lot of other military stuff, but a fun day out.

Tim (too)

Yes i saw that. The asking price was just shy of £10k, which i thought was a little expensive. Mind you it looked nice.

On the way down i drove past a convoy of Atkinsons with 432's on trailers (14 of them) followed by 8 Oshkosh carrying Warriors. On the way back i overtook one Atki carrying an Oshkosh (by gosh).

Tim (too)

Nothing special about them. Some were in better condition than others. One was totally stuffed. It looked like a Jeep driver had reversed into a wall with it still sitting in the bracket, yet it was still €40.

I did see a Jeep Ford marked gasket set. I asked the guy how much and he said he had no idea. He then suggested £20. I offered £5. I studied the gaskets and realised that they were all broken or bent, and as the packet was ripped i told him it was worthless and wouldnt take it even if he gave it to me. Look at me. I am learning the whole fine art of barterring. I saved £20 and got no useless set of gaskets in return.

Tim (too)

Several interesting finds.

Bought a J.W.Pickavant brake bleeder kit. This is not an air pressure system but is dependant on the pressure (20psi) from the spring in the large syringe containing the fluid. Never seen one before. This was NOS circa 1960s I would guess. Anyone any experience of such a device?

Saw a black cork "motorcyclists" helmet in near perfect condition. But this was not just any black cork "motorcyclists" helmet in near perfect condition. This was an RUC riot helmet based on a cork "motorcyclists" helmet introduced in mid 1969. But the give-away was that inside it had the officer’s name & number but crossed out was a previous officer’s name & number, it was made by ‘Skulgarde’, the rear had fasteners for the nape guard, at the front the old glue shows the outline of where the RUC badge had been fixed & the peak shows marks where the aluminium support for the visor was fitted. I have 3 helmets that are too small, 2 that are an exact fit & this one slightly too big. Larger helmets are particularly difficult to come by, so I had to buy it & I suppose if my head gets any bigger then I'll be alright! Oh and the seller from NI was unaware of its history, if he was aware I’m sure it would have cost me a lot more!

Saw, some Tabby Type ‘E’ binoculars with face mask & all leads the, dimmer rheostat & power supply. Unfortunately it was not in its original wooden box & the spotlight was not original. There were no IR filters & none of the Meccano-like fixing kit. It was priced at £50, but on the advice of an “expert” who had just preceded me, the seller had modified the ticket to £150 - so thanks someone! Original power supplies are rare, it was very heavy but would have been nice to have for my collection. I have built a solid state power unit for my Type ‘E’ & that still has the MoS label on & it works after 65 years. But £150 too much.

I never go early as too much queuing I aim to walk in & buy a ticket at 11.00. I take the lower route via the trader’s route. Then park in the field on the main road that means there is less walking & easier to make an exit. A nice day out jumbling in the sun with several MV people to talk with.

Edited by fv1620

I was at Beaulieu, sharing part of stall Y54. Not a very good weekend - I broke down on the M27 going there (Faulty alternator) and when I arrived, it was raining and the ground muddy. Sales were slow, and it seems not many people had money to spend, even for reasonable prices. I did find a few bits for my vehicles, but wartime MV bits are getting difficult to find. Luckily Ford used the 'parts bin' when making WOT2 and WOA2 so I just have to find which bit fits. Met some people including Clive Elliot and Chris Wilkinson.

No i was not aware. Did not think that someone would want to. These probably were replicas though as they were in very good condition.

I am afraid that all aspects from that period (and also Imperial) have been copied, some obvious others not so.

Ashley