SR-71 Blackbird flying again?

Tugger

I have heard through a reliable source that the Blackbird is operating sorties again out of the UK, from what I could glean from wikipedia, there were two retained by NASA, which I guess could be pulled into service by the USAF, trying to get any of the others out of their museums unnoticed might be a bit tricky.

Can anyone corroborate this speculatiuon ?

Cannot find anything to confirm it. My search did lead me to this:

http://www.geocities.com/dansimpson99/sr71/

which opens:

LOCKHEED's SR-71 BLACKBIRD is one of the most spectacular aircraft ever built. As the world's fastest and highest flying air-breathing aircraft, it can cruise at speeds of more than mach 3.2 (more than three times the speed of sound). It holds numerous records, including a Los Angeles to Washington D.C. flight of 64 minutes, 19 seconds! A technical marvel, the Blackbird flys at an altitude of 85,000 feet (published figure), and some sources say reaches altitudes in excess of 100,000 feet.

I have tried but cannot put my hands on a site (because a recent rebuild of my machine has wiped history and stuff: it's almost certainly off a link from this page:

http://www.starfarer.net/captlock.html

somewhere) that refutes some of this (because it is written by Starfighter people).

The F104, they claim, remains faster than the SR-71 but cannot hold the airspeed record because its poor duration prevents it from completing the required course whilst setting an airspeed record. F104s passed out of US Military use a long time ago, but the demand to see Starfighters continues. Apparently SR-71 pilots get upset when F104 pilots walk up behind them and ask, "How does it feel to be flying the SECOND fastest aircraft in the show?"

Likewise, apparently, SR-71 crews would never admit to being bounced FROM ABOVE by F104 pilots.

Another link comments that the F22 Raptor beats the F104 on all counts, but only just in some cases, it was a government-funded project (unlike F104 that the government didn't want) and after all, it's had forty more years of technological advancement.

Yet another link suggests that the F104's poor Vietnam combat record was simply because when the F104 flew, the MiGs all went home to save their skins.

I wish I had the time to plough through all these links again - must do it sometime - some good reading.

I think it may be down to differing profiles at differing altitudes. I remember Morris used to boast (once a long time ago) that the Minor could do 100mph, 100mpg and cost under £100. It may have been true (if you squinted hard enough) but not all at once and extremely disingenuous. That's why nowadays the car manufacturers are obliged to quote such statistics in a strict set of circumstances.

Maybe the Starfighter speed quote excluded the SR-71 (it would be great if I could find my source again). Maybe the quote about the hich altitude intercept referred to an incident where the SR-71 crew assumed they were immune and just felt bad about being jumped.

Hmmm... I always hought that SR-71 was the fastest plane in the U.S. invetory. I also belive that I've seen figures saying that the F-15 was capable of Mach 2,5 and the F-14 Mach 2,34. I didn't even know that the F-104 was as fast as mach 2,2, isn't that the same as the F16? I guess it depends a lot on what height the speed is measured!?

But now after 5 posts without any photos I think this thread needs a couple of photos! :-)

126-2691_IMG.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Marty

SR-71 missions in the UK used to be flown by a de-tachment of the 9 SRW wing from Beale airforce base in California.They used to operate from Mildenhall,where as the smaller and slower and easily maintained(compared to the Blackbird)U2/TR1 used to be flown from RAF Alconbury.I doubt if you will ever see another Blackbird flight from the UK,as the maintainance costs involved with every sortie,were absolutley huge.

So were the fuel costs!! Like Alien I lost a load of links in a rebuild a while ago but ISTR that the SR-71 was famed for leaking fuel like a colander on the ground due to loose joints etc. Once airborne however the friction of air over the skin closed all the gaps and no more leaks.

Only ever saw the Sr-71 flying once - over in the States - and it a a remarkable sight and sound.

Did you know there was an interceptor version as well?? I think it was called the YF-12A

So were the fuel costs!! Like Alien I lost a load of links in a rebuild a while ago but ISTR that the SR-71 was famed for leaking fuel like a colander on the ground due to loose joints etc. Once airborne however the friction of air over the skin closed all the gaps and no more leaks.

Only ever saw the Sr-71 flying once - over in the States - and it a a remarkable sight and sound.

Did you know there was an interceptor version as well?? I think it was called the YF-12A

I used to see them fly from Mildenhall on a regular basis:cool2:

I have a picture some where taken at Mildenhall,of one of those famous flaming take offs.I've also got some pics of the crew suiting up at Mildenhall prior to a long range recon flight.Loads of pics buried,but i cant be bothered to delve.I must get around to sorting all this stuff out.

Edited by Lord Burley

The best memory I will always have of a Blackbird was at Mildenhall Air-Fete years ago. It did a very slow fly past, and you could see how unstable she was at low speed, the pilot then did a very tight turn over the crowd which cut the fuel off to the engines and they shut down. As he fired them back up gallons of unburnt fuel ignited in a fire ball all over the plane. Luckily it didn't crash but it could have been very nasty. Someone a few feet from us was listening into the tower at the time, you really should have heard that!

I've only ever seen one picture of the incident, my uncle had it all lined up and his finger was on the shutter but in the shock of what was happening he just stood there watching it.

Regards

Richard

The best memory I will always have of a Blackbird was at Mildenhall Air-Fete years ago. It did a very slow fly past, and you could see how unstable she was at low speed, the pilot then did a very tight turn over the crowd which cut the fuel off to the engines and they shut down. As he fired them back up gallons of unburnt fuel ignited in a fire ball all over the plane. Luckily it didn't crash but it could have been very nasty. Someone a few feet from us was listening into the tower at the time, you really should have heard that!

I've only ever seen one picture of the incident, my uncle had it all lined up and his finger was on the shutter but in the shock of what was happening he just stood there watching it.

Regards

Richard

That incident did in fact make the cover of fly past.I also saw the incident myself.If i remember rightly.It had taken off and done a large circuit,that followed down through suffolk in to essex,then through in to middlesex,before entering hampshire.The turn to the east was made over basingstoke before turning again up the east coast for a high speed run back to Mildenhall.

It did a very slow fly past, and you could see how unstable she was at low speed, the pilot then did a very tight turn over the crowd which cut the fuel off to the engines and they shut down. As he fired them back up gallons of unburnt fuel ignited in a fire ball all over the plane.

Richard,

That reminds me of something the Royal Australian Air Force F-111 pilots used to do on displays, they called it "dump and burn". They dumped fuel and it then ignited behind them, looked like a damned great blowlamp !

SR-71 missions in the UK used to be flown by a de-tachment of the 9 SRW wing from Beale airforce base in California.They used to operate from Mildenhall,where as the smaller and slower and easily maintained(compared to the Blackbird)U2/TR1 used to be flown from RAF Alconbury.I doubt if you will ever see another Blackbird flight from the UK,as the maintainance costs involved with every sortie,were absolutley huge.

My father-in-law lives pratically at the end of the runway at RAF Alconbury. Best I ever saw was in the late 80s, a pair of A10s took off in a noteworthy formation tight enough to make RAF aircrew proud. F-I-L and I then jumped into his car and set off to Peterborough. He was chemical adviser to Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, so as usual he had his radio tuned in to the Fire Service Operations Net in case they called him out.

We had hardly got moving when a squawk came in for appliances to attend RAF Alconbury. ISTR that one of these two A10s had developed a problem and turned straight round to perform an emergancy landing, but fell off the runway and I think the undercarriage collapsed. In those Cold War days, there was great concern that the aircraft might be carrying a full weapons load.

Entirely coincidentally, the village was plunged into a powercut that afternoon and Mother-In-Law's plans for tea were scuppered. We took the unusual step of driving to a chippy in Huntingdon for fish suppers all round. We stood in the queue with the local news on the TV. Just as a report of the crash at the RAF base came on, a pair of Americans walked in in combats. Oh how they blushed and tried to shrink into a corner.

Are you sure its the U2/TR1?,and not the Canberra??.The Canbera served in both the RAF and USAFE(as the B47).In latter years the Canbera reverted to the recce and metrological role.Dont ever recall a U2/TR1 serving with the RAF.But i would like to be proved wrong.

Don't be fooled by the use of "U2/TR1" and "RAF Alconbury" in the same breath. Though RAF owned, the base was entirely USAF, a Tactical Reconaissance Wing IIRC. I remember the American pad brats tended to get upset by base signs proclaiming RAF Alconbury and regularly painted out RAF to replace with USAF.

As for Canberra and B47 ... I really thought B47 was the last American superbomber from Boeing before the BUFF, B52 = Big Ugly Fat Fellow(tidied up in case there are ladies present).

But there were Canberras about too, because I vaguely recall while I was in BAOR - must have been early 80s, one fell on an estate (Oxmoor IIRC) on the outskirts of Huntingdon just a couple of miles from Alconbury, and I did occasionally see them overhead when we were visiting.

As for Canberra and B47 ... I really thought B47 was the last American superbomber from Boeing before the BUFF, B52 = Big Ugly Fat Fellow(tidied up in case there are ladies present).

American (licence built my Martin) Canberras were B57

Don't be fooled by the use of "U2/TR1" and "RAF Alconbury" in the same breath. Though RAF owned, the base was entirely USAF, a Tactical Reconaissance Wing IIRC. I remember the American pad brats tended to get upset by base signs proclaiming RAF Alconbury and regularly painted out RAF to replace with USAF.

But there were Canberras about too, because I vaguely recall while I was in BAOR - must have been early 80s, one fell on an estate (Oxmoor IIRC) on the outskirts of Huntingdon just a couple of miles from Alconbury, and I did occasionally see them overhead when we were visiting.

Never fooled by the RAF signage on USAF bases,as they have a signed agreement with the crown,that whilst operating in the UK,you are in affect on American soverign soil.A point made clear,when my little girl had an accident at Lakenheath earlier in the year.