My Flying Control Jeep - The Ongoing Story

Jessie The Jeep

9 minutes ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

It was near Lambton park, by Burnmoor.

Got-it  ,  now you have said , it is a road I now very occasionally travel.  Before I retired it was a rat-run to defeat Durham foul-up.  I used to go C-le-St. to Lanchester then over the tops by a few ways in to Weirddale.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Workshop Progress and Jeep Photoshoot - March 15th

We've almost been in the new house for three weeks now and in that time, I've brought about ten trailer loads of our belongings and furniture over. Two loads were the workshop units and benches. This allowed me to push on with the workshop fit out which is now almost complete. All the machine tools are in place now, the bandsaw and sander dust extractor ducting is made and just the spray booth left to finish making. The new sink needs plumbing, but that isn't an urgent requirement.

march2.jpg

march3.jpg

• Like 1

A number of the workshop unit doors needed paint overspray cleaning off, which was done by scrubbing them with cellulose thinners. So while the cellulose fumes were clearing, I got both Jeeps out for a quick photoshoot in the garden. It was a wet day when Jessie was driven over and this was the first opportunity for a picture of both Jeeps in the sun together at the new house. There have been other sunny days, but I've been too busy!

march7.jpg

march9.jpg

The first photo shows how low the garage doors are, so I think the new plan for the garage is to raise and widen both doors. The UK's covid 'stay at home' rule should end on March 29th, so I hope to go out for a few local drives soon. I need to fit in a service for Jessie before then and still need to bring the Dodge over before the end of the month.

march10.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Durham Photoshoot Trip - March 30th

With the UK 'Stay at Home' rule ending on March 29th and today the 30th, being a nice sunny day, my daughter and I took the opportunity to go for a Jeep ride around the local area. It was only around 11 miles, but we stopped at several locations on the route to take some photos. The first couple of stops were quite close to home and for most of the route, we looked for country lanes to drive.

durham_ps_01.jpg

durham_ps_02.jpg

"Jessie the Jeep" was in 100th Bomb Group Ordnance Depot markings for this outing. It was a lovely Spring day with real heat in the Sun. I went out with my fleece flying jacket but didn't need it. I'm counting this photoshoot trip as our first 'event' of 2021. I'm hoping there'll be several real events this year too. Several event organisers are planning to hold events this year unless circumstances change and dictate cancellation.

durham_ps_17.jpg

durham_ps_18.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jeep Anniversary Drive - April 16th

On 16th April 2005, we drove to Scotland to collect "Jessie". On the same date in 2014, the insurance began for "Hope" allowing a first drive of the GPW. Now in 2021, it's sixteen years since we bought "Jessie" and seven years since "Hope" returned to the road. We decided an anniversary drive was in order for both Jeeps to celebrate their time with us. We waited until early evening as the sun was getting lower in the sky. The temperature was dropping, but it would give us better photo opportunities.

I've given a more detailed report on my GPW thread, so I'll just add a few different pictures here.

anniversary_drive_02.jpg

anniversary_drive_07.jpg

anniversary_drive_09.jpg

• Like 1

April 20th - New Ignition Parts Fitted

After our anniversary drive on the 16th, the following day I gave both Jeeps a good washdown to remove any traces of winter road salt.

2021_ht1.jpg

Once dry, Jessie wouldn't start. I'd noticed for some time that starting was getting harder, with the engine spinning over longer before firing. I was also getting shocks from various points when touching the insulation on the HT leads. I checked the ballast resistor, which was ok and then changed the coil for a spare. I got the Jeep started, but it still didn't feel right, so I ordered a replacement dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads. They arrived and were fitted on the morning of the 20th.

This is the old dizzy cap and rotor arm. There's a little sign of wear/arcing on each of the terminals of the dizzy cap but the rotor arm looks ok. Both were replaced with the new parts but will be kept as spares.

2021_ht3.jpg

2021_ht4.jpg

Here's the new dizzy cap and leads fitted and a video of a test start. The engine was idling around 700rpm. The engine started immediately when I hit the starter. A short test drive during the evening seemed ok. I still want to try and refit the old coil and try the new ignition components with that. I'm not sure if the old coil and HT leads have been failing at the same time, so want to try the new leads with the old coil and see if the starting and running is normal. If not, I know the old coil is suspect as well as the leads. The new leads have shown no signs of giving me shocks like the old set did.

2021_ht5.jpg

• Like 1

Broomhouse Farm for Coffee - April 25th

I was going to give the Jeep a service today, but too much washing paint rollers and brushes recently, has caused recurring skin problems on my hands. I decided it was best to give the oily stuff a miss and went for a drive instead. 

broomhouse_02.jpg

Durham station viaduct.
broomhouse_03.jpg

After the recent fit of new ignition parts to "Jessie", I swapped back to the old coil to check it out against the new leads and dizzy cap. All was well on the 20+ mile round trip to Broomhouse Farm. It was good to know the coil was ok, so the virtually new one could go back in the locker as a spare.

broomhouse_07.jpg

broomhouse_10.jpg

May 2nd/3rd - Oil and Filter change

On May 2nd, I had some spare time to do a little servicing on Jessie. I'd start with the oil and filter change. I already had fresh oil and a new filter in stock, so expected it to be a fairly quick job, hopefully followed by some greasing. I was mindful of the rain forecast for the afternoon. The engine was run for a while to warm up the oil to aid its draining.

2021_service01.jpg

The new filter was fitted, the filter housing lid fastened down, fresh oil added and an engine test made. All looked good at idle, but as I advanced the RPM and walked around the front of the Jeep to check it over, oil started pouring out of the housing lid. By the time I got to the ignition switch to stop the engine, possibly two quarts of oil were all over the engine bay and drive.

The lid obviously wasn't seated correctly. Never had that before! After a close look at the filter, the rubber grommet in the top and bottom were significantly thicker than the old filter that had just been removed. I wondered if the extra height was preventing the lid from fitting correctly. So I carefully pulled the grommets out of the old filter and fitted them to the new one.

2021_service05.jpg

Having the thicker rubber grommet both top and bottom, probably added almost 1/4 inch to the filter height.

2021_service06.jpg

With the thinner grommets fitted, the filter was refitted, lid refitted oil topped up and I tried again. Once more at idle, all was fine, but with a few more revs, oil started squirting out from under the lid. It came apart, was all cleaned and reassembled for another test on the 3rd. OK turning over on the starter and fine at idle, but it leaked again as the revs increased.

The day before, I'd checked the top of the housing for burrs and scratches and the lid seemed ok where the rubber 'O' ring fitted. The 'O' ring itself looked thinner than the one from the old filter. On the 3rd, I took the filter right out again and poked some wire through the small hole in the side of the central stem of the housing, just to make sure it wasn't blocked and causing back pressure.

2021_service07.jpg

Since this 'O' ring appeared around 1mm thinner than the old one, it was more flexible. I wondered whether because of this, it was squeezing away from the rim of the filter housing as the lid was tightened on. I used Wellseal gasket sealer to hold the 'O' ring in place as I've always done in the past. When I fastened down the lid this time, I did the bolt finger tight and then only a slight turn of the spanner, again, hoping not to squeeze the 'O' ring out. The oil was then topped up back to the full mark.

2021_service09.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

A cloth was wrapped around the filter to catch any more leaks, however the whole engine bay needs a jetwash regardless! I'd started working outside in the morning, but by lunch, had retreated to the garage as the Pacific Ocean descended on Durham.

2021_service11.jpg

The picture doesn't show it, but the rain was really hammering down outside.

2021_service10.jpg

The engine was turned over on the starter for several revolutions and all seemed well. I then fired up the engine and left it running at idle and still no sign of leaks. At that point I walked away for the day. I'm going to leave it a day or so before I run at higher RPM to give the Wellseal further time to cure and to see if the 'O' ring moves over time while under pressure from the lid.

I don't know how many times I've changed filters on the two Jeeps and the Dodge and I've done it exactly the same way every time. I've never had so many problems as on this one, so I'm hoping it was all down to the odd sized rubber seals that came with this filter. It was one of two filters bought together; the other being fitted to the GPW recently without any problems at all. I didn't notice at the time whether that filter had odd sized rubbers. I'll be paying more attention to their sizes the next time I'm tinkering with filters.

Greasing and checking the other fluid levels will have to wait for another day.

I gave the engine another test run a few minutes ago, up to normal temperature and at various RPM and the oil filter didn't leak at all! Very relieved!!

I think I'll still do a few more runs in the garden before I venture out on the road again, just for peace of mind. If I spring a leak, it's easier to recover from three feet in front of the garage than three miles away! I have ordered a spare filter 'O' ring so if I have any further problems, I'll replace it.

First time in 16 years I've had a problem. It's a standard Jeep filter and housing. They all have a flat rubber 'O' ring of around 5 inches diameter to seal the lid. The 'O' ring outer diameter is about the same as the filter housing, meaning most of the 'O' ring width isn't trapped by the lid, only around 2mm at the outer edge, the thickness of the housing. Without the 'O' ring, the bolt on lid won't seal at all. With this thinner than normal 'O' ring, it seems it was easy for it to squeeze out of that 2mm grip zone.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the world of the 1940's is slowly waking from hibernation and events are starting to appear again.

June

We've got a new one day event coming on D-Day, at Ushaw College, Chaple and Gardens, which is only a few miles away from my new house. It has the potential to grow into a full weekend event, with a great location and facilities.

Springwell village has confirmed their 1940's weekend again for late June, though scaled back a bit this year. They haven't had confirmation whether Bowes Railway will be opened up again by then, so it seems likely the event could be focussed around the community centre.

July

The Yorkshire MVT are planning to hold their usual one day meet up in York , some time in early July, though a date isn't confirmed yet. That is usually held on the green next to the castle in the centre of York in April. In past years, we've had everything from baking sun to snow at that event, so perhaps a July meet might give us a better chance of good weather? This is England however, so you can never be sure!!

Aln Valley Railway are holding their 1940's weekend on July 10/11th. I think 2019 was their first show and they were all ready for 2020 when covid hit.

Breighton aerodrome are holding a one day summer fly-in mid July. This is greatly scaled back from their usual Summer Hangar Bash which is a full weekend with a hangar party and live music on Saturday evening.

August

There's also social media posts flying around that the Beamish Museum four day "Dig for Victory" event is going ahead in early September ( Sometimes it's late August, depending on where the bank holiday falls ). I haven't seen any official confirmation of this yet, but as it is our favourite event of the year, fingers crossed that the rumours are true.

I'm also hoping that the North East MV Club hold their MV gathering at Ryhope Pumping Station. So far I haven't heard anything about it, but as it is held over the August Bank Holiday, there's still a few months for the covid situation to ease further, so I'm hopeful.

September

I really hope Tanfield Railway will hold their 40's weekend too. During our Christmas drive in late December, we called in to Tanfield for coffee and were chatting with Colin Watchman, one of the event organisers. He was full of enthusiasm for the return of the 40's event and steam gala in 2021, but sadly, he passed away unexpectedly recently. I really hope they can pull the event together, but Colin's passing will be a big loss to the team.

There's a few other events which normally take place across the year, but I haven't heard any serious rumours about those returning in 2021. I think quite a few organisers are reluctant to put any time into planning this year, just in case the plug gets pulled again.

• Like 2

Latest News

The new Ushaw event is definitely going ahead on June 6th and this week the Beamish Museum, four day "Dig for Victory" event has been confirmed and entry forms sent off for my two Jeeps. It is often held at the end of August, unless the bank holiday weekend gets in the way, so this year it's been moved to the start of September, just before the schools go back after the Summer.

May 22nd - Servicing, Test Drive and Exhaust

On May 22nd, I did a little more servicing on Jessie and Hope. The cold and very wet weather that has dominated May, eased a little so it wasn't too cold in the garage. I checked and topped up the transmission, transfer case and differential oils in both Jeeps. Since it was one of the few days where it wasn't raining, I took Jessie for a test drive for peace of mind over the leaking filter issue I'd had at the start of the month. After a six mile local trip, there was no signs of any leaks.

2021_service13.jpg

While checking the Jeep underside, I also found three rust holes in the silencer. This was the silencer fitted late in 2007, replacing the one that failed at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway war weekend. The whole rear face and tail pipe rusted off and I fortunately found a 1940's fashion stall with some wire coat hangers that I could use to fasten it back on to get home!

A little while ago, I'd spotted some tiny dots that may have been pin holes, but decided to wait for a warmer day to investigate properly. The silencer must have been pretty thin, as just a few weeks later, the suspected pin holes had developed into proper holes. A replacement silencer has been ordered and will be fitted shortly. I might see if I can weld a patch on this as a spare. It depends on how thin the rest of the can sounds!

2021_service15.jpg

• Like 1

May 26th - Silencer Removal

The replacement silencer came from Universal a few days ago. Having had a general look around the old silencer, I figured it wasn't going to give up without a fight. It was fitted in October 2007 and other than replacing the rear support bracket around three years ago, it hadn't been touched.

2021_silencer2.jpg

The various clamps, bolts and brackets were very rusted and didn't look like they would just unbolt. The rear support bracket and bolt did behave, probably as it was only replaced a few years ago after failing at one of the Breighton Aerodrome Fly-Ins.

2021_silencer3.jpg

The front support bolt sheared straight away. The clamp at the front of the silencer wouldn't budge at all. After lots of fighting, the clamp loosened slightly and was able to slide forwards on the manifold pipe. However the silencer wouldn't move. In the end, I cut through the outer tube exiting the silencer and chisled it open, followed by belting it with a hammer to free it from the manifold pipe.

2021_silencer4.jpg

As it came free, the tail pipe fell away; rusted through at the point where the rear bracket supported it. Further inspection showed more small holes developing elsewhere on the silencer, so it really was beyond saving. After almost 14 years, I can't complain too much.

2021_silencer6.jpg

The rear support and manifold clamp were treated by electrolysis to remove rust and were then wire brushed and painted. The support that went around the front of the silencer needed modifying. The silencer I'm replacing came from Jeeparts. It had a larger circumference than the original Hotchkiss silencer it replaced. As a result, back in 2007, I had to weld in some pieces to increase the size of the bracket.

Now the new replacement silencer came from Universal Jeep Supplies and was the same size as the original Hotchkiss silencer. So the bracket was cut again, pieces cut out and it was welded back together at what was probably its original size.

2021_silencer9.jpg

May 28th - Silencer Fitting

All the silencer brackets had been painted in Hammerite as an undercoat and then an enamel top coat. I haven't unpacked my olive drab yet, so I'll touch them up at a later date. The open end of the silencer needed the slots lengthening a bit and the petals hammering further open to fit onto the manifold pipe, but still wouldn't fit on far enough to align the silencer with the support bracket. To fix the problem, I cut about half an inch off the manifold pipe which brought the silencer forwards to a better position.

2021_silencer12.jpg

Other than that, the fitting went without any problems and the Jeep is back on the road.

2021_silencer14.jpg

My daughter and I then took the Jeep out for an 8 mile round trip to the petrol station to get some fuel for both Jeeps for the Ushaw Historic House D-Day event on June 6th, the first proper 1940s event since September 2019. An event report will follow after next Sunday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ushaw Historic House "Way Back When" D-Day Event - June 6th

After 20 months without a public event due to covid, D-Day 2021 saw an olive drab invasion force descend on Ushaw Historic House in County Durham, North East England. A full report will be added to my other Jeep thread ( link here - https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/19932-ive-been-spending-again-my-43-gpw/page/32/?tab=comments#comment-479053 )