Scrap Value of a Tank

Markheliops

Hi all.

For the boffins on here - a question.

I have found a Centurion ARV in a scrap yard -

The owner of the yard says he wants the scrap value for it - he has valued it at £270 per tonne!!!

Now to my estimate - thats way over the price of scrap metal at todays rates. I thought it was around the £150 per tonne rate.

My questions is:

What are the metals involved in the manufacture of a Centurion ARV and can anyone give me the going rate of scrap metal at todays rates -

I am well aware that just because you have a tank weighing nearly 50 tonnes, doesn't mean scrap value x the tonne is the worth value. For a start, you will be charged for it being over length, etc and then you will be charged for it being cut up.

For this exercise, please assume the weight of a Centurion ARV is 40 tonnes. I know it's not but that is what the scrap dealer has been told it weighs.

Thankie

Markheliops

Mark,

When I was looking at CVRTs in a scrap yard I asked the guys about values. They said they were worth twice as much as stripped hulls as they are complete vehicles, due to the effort involved with stripping them down. I would expect it to be the same with this Cent, there may be £270/tonne of metal in it, but you might spent £150/tonne getting that metal into a condition which it can be sold. At £270/tonne it's getting on for what it's worth as a complete, restored and roadable vehicle. I wouldn't want to pay more than £4000 for it!

Chris

I agree with you Chris:

I was expecting to pay around £4500 max.

I know of running Cent ARV's that have been sold for around the £7000 - £9000 mark.

By all accounts, this one has been standing in a scrap yard for near on 10 years. It comes with a new engine which has never been fitted. I expect depending on where the engine has been stored, will determine if the engine is any good.

I may go and have a look but there is no way I shall stump up £10,000 for a vehicle which has been stood in a scrap yard for 10 years, unless it was mint condition - which I expect it won't be.

I've just spoken to the scap dealer.

I think this is going to be a serious problem for the MV scene.

As the scrap metal price has gone silly, it would appear vehicles, especially anything like a tank are worth more cut up than they are running.

This scrap dealer has the Cent ARV and has just taken delivery of a Cent BARV - direct from the Army - but wants silly prices for them.

If a scrap Cent ARV is worth £10,000 (bear in mind it has sat in a scrap yard for 10 years, exsposed to the elements) - how are people like us ever going to get our hands on them with a view to restoring them.

I expected to pay around £4500 max as a running Cent ARV is only worth about £7000.

I shudder to think what will become of these classic vehicles if this carries on.

Markheliops

How do they sleep? What annoys me is that they can probably walk into a scrap yard run by a likeminded soul with them and get the money. I'd chop their hands off. There are worse crimes I know, but why do we have the knack of producing this kind of scum?

MB

We've been burgled a few times this year at work, some scum bags have broken into our factory and stolen customer property. The parts they have stolen are out of gas turbines and made of special materials, but they're still worth nothing scrap compared to what they're worth to the customers. We've had them turn up at night and get chased out the factory by the night shift, but it doesn't stop them coming back and cutting holes in the doors! :argh:

When I bought my pioneer a couple of months ago I had to pay 'scrap money' for it. Actually the scrap yard refused to sell it on the basis that I wouldn't pay enough to make it worth their while!

They said that it weighed 12 tons at £290/ton :cry: but during negotiations it was obvious that they knew it wasn't worth 12x£290 and we settled on £2000+Vat.

I knew that I paid over the odds for it but it was worth saving and I'd do it again if I had a chance :)

Good luck if you decide to go ahead...

Mark

You hit the nail on the head, A running ARV is worth more in scrap, regardless of being a runner or a dead tank.

I have purchased two over the last couple of years

A Cent ARV for a scrap value of £2750, 3 years ago (£60 / ton). It had been outsite, however had 36 miles since base overhaul. I have run the winch for loading, however no go on the main engine due to lack of spark.

Also an Cent BARV from Withams at tender for £4,600 last year, does turn over however carb linkage siezed.

I was quoted £200 a tonne for weighbridge weight 3 months ago, puts the ARV at £9k and the BARV at £8K. I have no intention of scrapping either of them.

Transport is not cheap it did cost me arround £650 to move the ARV and £400 for the BARV.

If the engine is good in the crate that has a reasonable on its own.

Remember once you have one, you will want the set !!

Regards

Clive

I think the price of scrap has come down in recent weeks. It peaked at around £250 a tonne for iron/steel a few months back but has come down to around £165 when I weighed some in last week :-(

Yes the high price of scrap is a problem for wreck restoration, as Madrat and I have found out. They wanted £3000 for the other Pioneer, when he mentioned VAT as well I walked away!

I guess some wrecks will just sit around a bit longer until prices equalize and it's more worth while selling to a restorer than the scrap man.

Others will unfortunately be lost, but why didn't they get bought up when the price of scrap was cheap. Probably because the fall back on an unfinished project and it's base price is the scrap value.

Mark

You hit the nail on the head, A running ARV is worth more in scrap, regardless of being a runner or a dead tank.

I have purchased two over the last couple of years

A Cent ARV for a scrap value of £2750, 3 years ago (£60 / ton). It had been outsite, however had 36 miles since base overhaul. I have run the winch for loading, however no go on the main engine due to lack of spark.

Also an Cent BARV from Withams at tender for £4,600 last year, does turn over however carb linkage siezed.

I was quoted £200 a tonne for weighbridge weight 3 months ago, puts the ARV at £9k and the BARV at £8K. I have no intention of scrapping either of them.

Transport is not cheap it did cost me arround £650 to move the ARV and £400 for the BARV.

If the engine is good in the crate that has a reasonable on its own.

Remember once you have one, you will want the set !!

Regards

Clive

Clive -

Can you PM me with your contact number mate - may have some worthwhile info for you.

Markheliops

Sadly the Scrap man is using his scale equally , the price per ton as is where is , be it a Land Rover or a transport van or a tank .

On your side you have the arguement to make about the need to strip the vehicle the useless weights of rubber and fluids that have to be drained and captured , while he speaks value in tons you talk what it really going to cost him .

The times may change but the reasoning remains the same .

What they are worth is what someone is prepared to pay. If the scrappy values it higher than a collector, then that's what it's worth.

Of course scrap values are transitory. Shermans, admittedly wrecks, could be had for £1000 about 15 years ago, scrap money. A lot of people are wishing they had bought one now!

i actually work for a scrap merchant who has the sole mod scrap contract we rarely get whole vehicles but it happens whole vehicles tend to go to auction [withams ] and the like if such a thing were to come in as a tank it would come in as oversize brunning and it would not be parted out it would be gas axed up engine and transmission would just be torn out by machine as soon as the the roof structure was burnt off and we have no problem with tracks it all goes no probs strangely chieftain/challenger tracked come in 3ft lengths but [cvrt?] scorpion comes in rolls at the mo i am fairly sure we pay 200 a tone to the mod for that kind of scrap price is tendered i think but with the amount of aluminium and brass i would think we are very happy not to mention all the nos parts that simply get destroyed its a very sad thing but you will have to dig deep guys we send containers to india as well as china............now you will all hat me i better shout incoming and hit the dirt