Rejuvinating dead batteries

Good old electrons, they came through for you in the end!

Clive, can you advise what type of charger you were using - automatic or adjustable output? I'm assming that if using a big old variable rectifier (Davenset type) then it should be set as low as possible? Someone I know uses a really cheap auto set which chucks out no more than 1 1/2 amps - found it in a bin!

I think its SIPP or something like that. Biggish thing with start facility & 3 levels of charge. I usually have it on the highest rate, but if it draws more than 5A switch it to a lower rate.

Just looked at the second battery that has quite quickly perked up, after a few hours it has started charging at about 3A.

A good charger like a CTEK 7000+ should be able to rejuvenate a dead battery, they have a mode where they pulse the plates breaking off the sulphur. They aren't cheap but I use one on my other batteries which get completely drained every month in one evening and then charged up a couple of days time. Same run time :) Same batts for the last 1.5 years. Ask around and see if one your friends have one, if you have a rich friend, they used to come with the Astons, Bentleys etc a few years ago.

Well both batteries seem now to have recovered & hold up well on a discharge voltmeter. Need to see how well they hold up in general usage. I won't tempt fate with them in the Hornet as taking it to GDSF. I have already fitted two odd but good batteries to tide me over.....but I have my little Honda 24 v geny just in case!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Dont forget to look for an old fashioned cheese grater while your there:rofl:honda 24v genny BR cant have any left i have one also.:rofl:

Dont forget to look for an old fashioned cheese grater while your there:rofl:honda 24v genny BR cant have any left i have one also.:rofl:

Yes but I must get some old fashioned cheese first. This isn't just an ordinary BR genny, this is a luxury Danish Army genny giving 6/12/24 VDC @ 20A. Its nice & quiet, you obviously didn't hear it at the weekend then.

Yes but I must get some old fashioned cheese first. This isn't just an ordinary BR genny, this is a luxury Danish Army genny giving 6/12/24 VDC @ 20A. Its nice & quiet, you obviously didn't hear it at the weekend then.

Could have done with one of those on Saturday - took a friend over from Oz over to see the OT - and the battery levels had dropped too low to crank the engine And I'd forgotten to close off the air flask when it came back from W&P... :embarrassed:

Everything else worked - except the damned starter!! :embarrassed: Tried jumping off a bus parked next door (also 24v) but whichever way we connected the jump leads we got rather large bangs and impressive spark displays..... :-(

Neil they are lovely little Honda generators. I bought one last year at W&P. I see he still had some this year about £80. They were militarised by the Danish Army who sprayed them black & removed the carrying handle. This makes it awkward to carry, but presumably this was an anti-theft device!

Not car batteries, but could anyone help with suggestions on getting a Video camera battery working again? It worked 12 months ago, but doesn't want to know now (won't take a charge). Any suggestions welcome as otherwise I have to go out and buy a replacement battery.

Thanks.

Takes a few days - you need to put it on charge for as long as was normal then plug it into the camera, turn it on and leave it on for a couple of hours or so then repeat the process. My flash gun battery pack does the same thing, I don't use it for ages and then the battery needs to have it's "memory" reset!!

• 3 weeks later...

Good news both the batteries that died & refused to accept a charge, have now held their charge after 4 weeks, I've just tested them on a discharge voltmeter.

Obviously I am pleased but just wonder how many batteries I have thrown out unnecessarily! I shall remember to relax & just leave it on charge as Richard G suggested earlier & it will recover by itself.

it's always nice to be right every now and then :-).

Unfortunately the same can't be said for one of the batteries on our ex-MOD generator. One of them is perfect but the other is completely dead so they'll both have to be replaced :-(. Luckily it has a hydraulic starter motor so we can still start it. Why haven't more engines got these?

Regards

Richard