Unipower gallery

This one that should not have been allowed to slip away not only was it a good bit of kit it would have kept a British company afloat at the time, I have no gripe with the Oskosh but as one that has grown up from a kid with a major interest in military equipment i always felt proud of the equipment that we as a nation produced and the british forces for sticking as much as possible to home grown products. Unfortunatly over the past few years the MOD purchasing department seems to be employing morons with a bent to buy as much foreign stuff as possible, no problem with the kit but it should have been home produced, christ even Pinzgauer are deserting us and going to South Africa dont know if you guys agree but all the while these clowns are in the seat its Britain ever forwards and downwards regarding military gear they cant even get it right for the lads in Irag and Afghanistan can they. Right thats of my chest enjoy the photos

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf5.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

05-08-2008211502.jpg

This Unipower (circa 1950) was 40 AT 79, an RAF vehicle with the Airfield Coinstruction Branch. It gained its 761 FUL reg when it transferred to the Board of Trade, Ministry of Aviation, and was alloted to Heathrow Airport, eventually passing to the British Airports Authority.

This one that should not have been allowed to slip away not only was it a good bit of kit it would have kept a British company afloat at the time,

Too right Les, I saw the bridging units under construction during a visit to Tolpits Lane - what a smashing truck - a well balanced clean design. Oh well, we can but dream.

Tony

We're all anoraks in one way or another.....

picture21000pixel.jpg

I knew I had a picture of Ex RAF 40 AT 79 Unipower after it was repainted into Heathrow Airport's Chrome Yellow Scheme. Previous Black and White photo is (I beleive) RAF Blue Grey with Hi Vis Yellow roof and bonnet top, simply sign written Board of Trade, without a repaint..

Edited by antarmike

This one that should not have been allowed to slip away not only was it a good bit of kit it would have kept a British company afloat at the time, I have no gripe with the Oskosh but as one that has grown up from a kid with a major interest in military equipment i always felt proud of the equipment that we as a nation produced and the british forces for sticking as much as possible to home grown products. Unfortunatly over the past few years the MOD purchasing department seems to be employing morons with a bent to buy as much foreign stuff as possible, no problem with the kit but it should have been home produced, christ even Pinzgauer are deserting us and going to South Africa dont know if you guys agree but all the while these clowns are in the seat its Britain ever forwards and downwards regarding military gear they cant even get it right for the lads in Irag and Afghanistan can they. Right thats of my chest enjoy the photos

Amen to all that, Les.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at Abnormal Load Engineering (ALE) and was there when the Unipower was brought up from Alstom after the take over. Alstom had done the civilianisation work on it, including fitting a transfer box to slow it down in line with the Fauns which it works with and building the ballast body, which weighs 10 tonne unloaded!!

See below some photos I took of it outside the ALE workshops and also me and Dad posing with it.

MandDVisit004.jpg

MandDVisit007.jpg

UniPower001.jpg

UniPower004.jpg

The drivers reported that it was like driving a car!! and would easily cruise at 50mph, a far cry from the Fauns top speed. I've got some more photos of it working which i'll post another day. Richard

ive seen the unipower ern its keep and have worked alongside ALE and againt them moveing the same load the unipower is a good puller but when it coums to manouvering it a bits of a beached whale too big too long to wide same goes for the fauns evan the tho i like the unipower ide rather go to work with a 250tone DAF

the unipower is a good puller but when it coums to manouvering it a bits of a beached whale too big too long to wide

I can see what you mean (though bet it will turn tighter than an old Constructor :argh:) Who invernted air-assist steering?

Funnily enough when it was suggested that the bridging trucks might come up at Witham's I looked at Les's photo again and thought "hmm, cut 3 feet out of the middle and that could be a very useful machine...."

Then I came back to earth with a bump :-D

I can see what you mean (though bet it will turn tighter than an old Constructor :argh:) Who invernted air-assist steering?

Have you driven a late Mountaineer/Constructor with hydraulic power steering? Chalk and cheese compared with the air assist and the ram fits in the same place. It would also work on an Explorer.

Mike

Have you driven a late Mountaineer/Constructor with hydraulic power steering? Chalk and cheese compared with the air assist and the ram fits in the same place. It would also work on an Explorer.

Mike

No, but have thought about it.

What steering valve is used? The usual hydraulic system (e.g. Bedford MJR) requires the cylinder/valve assy. to be placed between steering drag link and steering arm on axle - any steering command through the steering box moves drag link whch actuates valve at end of hyd. cyl. which then pushes/pulls until valve becoms centralised again.

I'd be keen to do this on the Constructor especially if I don't need to cut the drag link, but it is the valve which I'm having trouble sourcing, and where would it go?

The Scammell air valve acts in a similar way, but is positioned 1/2 way down the steering column.

Any help much appreciated!

Tony

No, but have thought about it.

What steering valve is used? The usual hydraulic system (e.g. Bedford MJR) requires the cylinder/valve assy. to be placed between steering drag link and steering arm on axle - any steering command through the steering box moves drag link whch actuates valve at end of hyd. cyl. which then pushes/pulls until valve becoms centralised again.

I'd be keen to do this on the Constructor especially if I don't need to cut the drag link, but it is the valve which I'm having trouble sourcing, and where would it go?

The Scammell air valve acts in a similar way, but is positioned 1/2 way down the steering column.

Any help much appreciated!

Tony

I have seen it done (but not on Scammells) using both Bedford and 'D' series parts, the Ford ram being quite substantial.

The blue Junior Constructor owned by Paul Hammond has the OE hydraulic system if you can get to see it, but think the column is different to one with the air valves. The ram goes in place of the air cylinder.

Mike

I have seen it done (but not on Scammells) using both Bedford and 'D' series parts, the Ford ram being quite substantial.

The blue Junior Constructor owned by Paul Hammond has the OE hydraulic system if you can get to see it, but think the column is different to one with the air valves. The ram goes in place of the air cylinder.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Looks like I need an original column then. :coffee:

I've see a Constructor with pucker Volvo power steerng box on, trouble is the F88 cab looked simply awful sitting behind the Scammell bonnet :shake: