Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No road nearby ! Could be a yuppie mum in a Range Rover got lost on the school run ? :cool2: Is the snatch block attached to the rails ? Would have thought that would lift the track up sleepers and all !

If not lifting it up it's got to shift it sideways slightly :shocked:

Definately wouldn't fancy a journey along that rail line with the new kink in it and the unstable ground. :shake:

Lets start another heated discussion... (and everyone can tell me |I am wrong again) But there is no evidence of the track having collapsed under the Crane or any evidence of seriuos bank collapse, and that is why it has gone over. Clearly the Jack leg(s) are not extended on the uphill side of the Toppled crane. I wonder from the angle at which it is laying if the driver had thought he didn't need to use the Downhill jack legs either. I cannot see how it has come to rest completely on the ground, if a jack leg was out. I wasn't there but I cant see how there could be an extended jack leg under the vehicle.

It seems to me that the driver tried a lift without jacklegs, and the crane merely toppled of the track.

Note that the Railway flanged guide wheels are in line with the inner pair of rear wheels so the track as a rail vehicle is a lot narrower than if the vehicle was used as a crane without stabilisers on Tarmac.

Edited by antarmike

It seems to me that the driver tried a lift without jacklegs, and the crane merely toppled of the track.

Certainly seems like driver error and not the ground at fault from the pics. Go on CW, spill the beans-what was he there to recover? Something not worth this problem I bet!

Eh up - the pics are out so thought I'd share some of mine. Not military but shows what I got up to when on the heavy recovery scheme for the Police in Kent.

M20LB.jpg

M20LB2.jpg

Some of you may remember this one. About 7 years ago on the M20 LB between junction 5 and 4. A few thousand spilt tyres closed sides of the motorway for most of the morning. Unfortunately, none of the tyre sizes matched anything I used at the time.

Anyone for a beer!

Beerlorry1.jpg

Beerlorry2.jpg

The cause - entering a roundabout too quickly. The Police had to respond very quickly as the word soon spread about free beer being deposited over the road.

Bus1.jpg

Bus2.jpg

Bus3.jpg

Preping for a display at the Brands Hatch motor show. We were working out distances, etc. All good clean fun but a lot of work went into doing this before the show. The bus had to be welded at certain points to take the load.

Have hundreds more - but shall not bore you with them. Will look through some more pics to see if I have anything military.

Markheliops

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
and the recovery of an item of livestock maybe?

Well it sez it was a deer,it must of been dead.,otherwise it would of run off,:-D

Well it sez it was a deer,it must of been dead.,otherwise it would of run off,:-D

Might have been a John Deere :rofl:

Don't know if you had seen the photos that were floating about the web a year or so ago, of a car recovery in Ireland.........that ended in disaster, but somebody "spoofed" the final photo to make it look like a double disaster ;

www.snopes.com/photos/accident/crane.asp

Very interesting - with one small correction: the ex Swedish army recovery vehicle is, I believe, a Scania "Myrsloken" (Spelling? Means "anteater") from the 50s. Judging by the colour, ex-UN mission...

Cheers,

T

Posted by T | October 8, 2008 12:55 PM

Posted on October 8, 2008 12:55

Anders:

The wrecker is an old Scania-Vabis LA82. Or bärgningsterrängbil 970 as it was called by the swedish army. Also known as the "Myrsloken", which means anteater.

The name comes from the prototype vehicle which had an 8-cylinder inline engine which made the bonnet rather long.

Anyway, it is one rugged and sturdy truck, made by Scania which means a really long lifetime.

Posted by Anders | October 9, 2008 1:56 PM

Posted on October 9, 2008 13:56

Anders:

The white wrecker is a Scania-Vabis LA82, the military designation being bärgningsterrängbil 970 from the late fifties-early sixties.

It was known in the swedish army as the Myrsloken(anteater). The name was derived from the prototype vehicles which sported an inline eight cylinder engine

All at the bottom of the page Mike !