Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As there's no turret I wonder if this is either a Caernarvon, or one of the engine test Conq's ?

It looks like it has ballast weights on top to represent the weight of the turret. The Rotinoff Atlantic was trialled out of FVRDE at Chertsey and this would be where the tank and trailer probably came from. I did an article in Vintage Roadscene a few years ago with photos of the Rotinoff on test from FVRDE with a prototype Centurion as load.

• 2 months later...

The Renault was inevitable (pulling on one chassis rail), but what caused the synchronous parting of the front tipper's tow hook and the front crossmember of the KRAZ? Can't see how the two (Renault/KRAZ and KRAZ/tipper) are related…….

edit: unless the parting of the Renault caused the front rope to momentarily go slack and then snap tight - but I cannot see this effect on the video.

Edited by N.O.S.

The Renault was inevitable (pulling on one chassis rail), but what caused the synchronous parting of the front tipper's tow hook and the front crossmember of the KRAZ? Can't see how the two (Renault/KRAZ and KRAZ/tipper) are related…….

Hi Tony, looks like things where at the yield point just as the Kraz driver braked when he felt summat go (brake lights) and the tipper just kept going!

• 5 weeks later...