How many two seater Spitfires......

Lord Burley

Flying in the U.K.?.I know Carolyn Grace owns and flys her late husband Nicks one.But watching Top Gear the other night,Clarkson and co turn up for a competition with there German rivals in three two seater Spits.Thought Carolines,was the only one?.

Edited by Lord Burley

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Flying in the U.K.?.I know Caroline Grace owns and flys her late husband Nicks one.But watching Top Gear the other night,Clarkson and co turn up for a competition with there German rivals in three two seater Spits.Thought Carolines,was the only one?.

So did i,Pat tried to get me a Birthday ride in it years ago,made exscuses about needing a pilots licence to be a passenger dont know if its true.

A bit of nerdy info here.Jeremy Clarkson was in MJ627.Flown by Paul Day.James May was in PT 462 Flown by John Romain(If i remember rightly,the same John Romain that managed to destroy a Blenheim at Denham Bucks some years back,just after restoration).And the last one.Richard Hammond was in ML407 Flown by Carolyn Grace.Quite a funny piece by Top Gear.Lots of reference,s to the Battle Of Britain and the Great Escape.

According to this website there are only three two seaters in the UK http://www.flights4all.com/about_spitfires.asp

& you can't legally fly in one as a passenger in the UK...

You can't pay to fly in one as that becomes a mini airline needing an AOC, public transport cat. CofA etc. You can be given a flight and you can offer charity flights under certain circumstances. The bit about being a pilot refers, I think, to being able to receive instruction. There are various ways round it but as the list of people wanting to fly is far greater than the opportunities to do so, I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I was fortunate enough to fly carolyns Spitfire a few years ago.....absolutely awesome and a lovely lady. Got some pics but none digital unfortunately. She does about 5 days a year for paying guests, there is a 7 year waiting list at the moment but it is still possible to get on the list.

A bit of nerdy info here.Jeremy Clarkson was in MJ627.Flown by Paul Day.James May was in PT 462 Flown by John Romain(If i remember rightly,the same John Romain that managed to destroy a Blenheim at Denham Bucks some years back,just after restoration).And the last one.Richard Hammond was in ML407 Flown by Carolyn Grace.Quite a funny piece by Top Gear.Lots of reference,s to the Battle Of Britain and the Great Escape.

The poilt was Roy Pullan. John Romain co pilot

I was fortunate enough to fly carolyns Spitfire a few years ago.....absolutely awesome and a lovely lady. Got some pics but none digital unfortunately. She does about 5 days a year for paying guests, there is a 7 year waiting list at the moment but it is still possible to get on the list.
How did you manage to bag that one?.

Here's one of the other two seat Spitfires, with what I believe is known as the 'Grace' cockpit conversion. The original Irish two seater had the second cockpit raised up from the first in a large bubble canopy.

spitfire23.jpg

Also attached is a picture of the first Blenheim after its crash due to a rich mixture cut during a touch and go. I think the crash was only a month after the aircrafts first flight. The aircraft was rebuilt only to crash again at Duxford in 2003. It is now being rebuilt as a Blenheim Mk1 with the short nose.

blenheim4.jpg

blenheim5.jpg

Steve