Meet the navy portsmouth

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HERES A FEW HMVF MEMBERS WHOS NAMES I HAVE FORGOTTEN,MAYBE YOU COULD HELP.

Heres one i do know its our old mate Tony resting after a hard day on the buses,i hate you Butler.

meetthenavy108.jpg

meetthenavy109.jpg

meetthenavy106.jpg

meetthenavy107.jpg

Here are a few snaps of the day. I was there with Mr STRIKE AND RETURN 460 and Mr JUMPBOOTS representing the D-Day museum Southsea. As we expected vast quantities of visitors (35 thousand reported), we kept our display small and compact. We were sited alongside the 1940's sing-along stage that held shows throughout the day. I would like to add there is only so many times you can hear "run rabbit run" before I had the urge to lock and load the 30 cal!

Met lots veterans and like minded people and the display was well received by all that visited us. Overall a very enjoyable three days, well for some of us it was three days.....you know who im referring to!

P1110118a.jpg

P1110300.jpg

P1100992.jpg

P1110048.jpg

P1110058.jpg

P1110175.jpg

P1110191.jpg

P1110257.jpg

P1110218.jpg

P1110216.jpg

Edited by BIGREDONE

OK chaps - thanks for letting us know about this one :argh:

- bet Catweasel was like a child in a sweet shop :whistle:

- Big red one - are the rumours true that Ken was trying to buy that aircraft carrier????

meetthenavy091.jpg

meetthenavy092.jpg

meetthenavy093.jpg

Now thats dedication,at least the model makers are keeping it alive,well done lads.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

meetthenavy132.jpg

The gun above looks like a variation on the M134 family of miniguns.I would suspect the larger calibre GAU-17/19.Too small to be a M61 Vulcan.Fires around 6000rpm.Love those models by the way,especially the Shermans in the landing craft.

Edited by Lord Burley

No Trident was not there. The good (working) part of the Dockyard with all the laid up ships was not open to visitors. I also noticed that some ships that were advertised did not show up either. The main air display was the Royal Naval historic flight but due to maintenance problems, we only had the Sea Hawk and Harvard on Friday and just the Harvard for the rest of the weekend. The Red Arrows made one appearance on the Friday at 1700. It was not like the Navy days of old very much scaled down, no memorabilia stand selling goodies :( and no big military regiments, establishments static displays. However, I did notice the abundance of motion simulators at least 4 in one area.

Catweazel I noticed you previously mentioned Gosport, are you over this side? as I work in the Royal Hospital Haslar & Fort Blockhouse which includes the Submarine museum and HMS Hornet the old gun boat establishment which is now the joint services sail training centre.

Paul

Yes mate both Horatia and Gee are in Premier the old Camper yard,you can see Gee from the rd on the Hard awaiting return of the bodged parts,We are allways taking a stroll down there usually turn back at the sub museum.Its a very interesting area as you know.i am allways there if i am not at a vehicle show.(and there getting less, too much agro)We must meet up for a pint/chat,maybe give you a ride out,can pm you with mobile if you like.cheers cw.

meetthenavy021.jpg

meetthenavy023.jpg

meetthenavy030.jpg

A visiting south american sail training ship leaves for home,when they were level with the fort they fired some cannon which wasnt expected.

the first photo is my mob, forces 80 (www.forces80.com)

Mark

well done mate,great display,i didnt know whos it was,shame we didnt meet up.seen your display somewhere before.

well done mate,great display,i didnt know whos it was,shame we didnt meet up.seen your display somewhere before.

unfortunatly, Iwasnt there, work commitments usually mean I can only attend 1 day shows, one of theses days I will do a weekend with them!!!

they were also at the southend do on the pier apparently

All the best

Mark