Oil question

I know there was a thread a while back about oil. However, I cannot find it. Can someone post a link to it please. I need to know about oil 30 HD, is it still available, or what is the modern equivalant?

Davie

I know there was a thread a while back about oil. However, I cannot find it. Can someone post a link to it please. I need to know about oil 30 HD, is it still available, or what is the modern equivalant?

Davie,

I cannot recollect that particular thread. What vehicle do you require the 30 HD for? Some of the older engines were specified to use SAE 30 engine oil, which was a non-detergent, if this has been in use and the engine not stripped and cleaned, the use of modern type of high detergency SAE 30 as used in diesel engines, will scour the sludge and can then block oil ways, etc.

The non-detergent SAE 30 straight engine oil ( or very low detergent) is available from makers like Morris Lubricants, Comma, Silkolene, etc. for classic and vintage engines.

Hi Richard, The oil is for my Albion CX22s. I am aware that I should not put modern detergent oil into it. What does HD stand for? Heavy duty? My local car parts dealer is a comma agent, so I could ask him to get SAE30 if you recon it's a good substitute.

Regards, Davie.

There is a good decription on the Morris Lubnricants website concerning use of modern vs. straight oils in old engines - worth repeating here:

A modern (multigrade) oil is designed to pick up all particles and carry them straight to the FULL FLOW filter which then traps them, as all oil has to pass through the filter.

The older spec (straight) oils are designed to drop all larger particles into the sump where they will remain to be drained atoilchange, the finer particles are carried by the oil around the engine and gradually removed by the BYPASS, or LEAK-OFF filter which only filters a proportion of the oil being circulated at any time.

Thus the main criteria for deciding which oil to use is the method of filration. So can we assume that any straight 30 oil will do the job in the Albion engine?

Hi Richard, The oil is for my Albion CX22s. I am aware that I should not put modern detergent oil into it. What does HD stand for? Heavy duty? My local car parts dealer is a comma agent, so I could ask him to get SAE30 if you recon it's a good substitute.

Regards, Davie.

Davie,

HD stands for "heavy duty", which means that it contains detergent additives. The problem is that you may not know what type of oil has been used in your engine, so by going for a Straight oil, such as Comma Classic 30, you are safeguarding your engine. If there is a detachable filter plate in the bottom of the sump, it is worth removing and cleaning out any sludge in it.

Thus the main criteria for deciding which oil to use is the method of filration. So can we assume that any straight 30 oil will do the job in the Albion engine?

That is quite true Tony, full flow filtration was not common back in the days when the Albion was made. It would be best to check the manual first in this case. Most of the WW2 era vehicles I deal with are by-pass filtration, but not knowing the Albion it is best to check first.

The manual states, "The gear type oil pump draws oil from the sump through a gauze filter, and delivers it under pressure to the main bearings and big ends, whilst oil bypassed by the spring loaded relief valve is fed over the timing chain, dynamo and oil pump drive gears before falling back to the sump for recirculation"

I'll be removing the sump and cleaning the filter etc as a matter of course when I do the oil change.

The Comma web site says the classic 30 oil is for petrol engines. They also list a diesel 30 HD. I have emailed them for more information.

Thanks for your knowledge so far, I'll let you know more when I've heard back from Comma.

Davie

The manual states, "The gear type oil pump draws oil from the sump through a gauze filter, and delivers it under pressure to the main bearings and big ends, whilst oil bypassed by the spring loaded relief valve is fed over the timing chain, dynamo and oil pump drive gears before falling back to the sump for recirculation"

I'll be removing the sump and cleaning the filter etc as a matter of course when I do the oil change.

The Comma web site says the classic 30 oil is for petrol engines. They also list a diesel 30 HD. I have emailed them for more information.

Thanks for your knowledge so far, I'll let you know more when I've heard back from Comma.

Davie

Davie,

From the description is sounds like it does not have an external filter, only a pick up strainer, in that case I would personally, use the Classic 30, ie. not detergents. Explain to Comma about no filter element, am sure they should come up with the same answer.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Davie

Bin down this rd with Comma for my twin cats,they recomended a 30 ring free what ever that is it wasnt cheap,i am also led to believe that these 30 grades advertised are not totally detergent free.Catterpillar said i could use modern multigrades no problem,i do have two oil filters each takes about a gallon and all oil passes thro them first.The other problem with modern oils is, in old engines which burn oil,from new,ash deposits build up in the piston ring area due to the detergent and other addatives.i have had pistons out of mine and havnt seen any damage ,i do use multigrade oils and it consumes about 5 lt per hundred miles,this is at max revs or 200 below about 2,000rpm.I would of thought Morris were the ones to take notice of.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

No reply today from Comma, I've had a look at Morris's website which looks more promising, so, I'll try and get time to phone them tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the input.

Davie.

They're not bad for whisky and fresh fish too, according to my dad :-D

Yah boo humbug - enjoyed my first ever ride in a (really nice) Champ:tup::

Wotta mistaka to maka!:thumbsup:

wot o davie, ive been running my austin k6 and hotchkiss jeep on the old straight 20-50 it keeps the oil pressure up on a hot day, a mechanic friend of mine has been running his gmc on it for about 10 years and no problems.

perhaps some one could enlighten me as to wether this is ok please

regards graham

Hi Davie, whilst not wishing to hijack this thread, but to take it a bit further if I may, there is another oil related question that often comes up, which is, how long is it sensible to go between oil changes given the low mileage most of us do in our old vehicles?

As the Cummins in mine takes 34 ltrs, 1 bypass and 1 full flow filter and the book says to change every 10,000 mls or 6 months it is not cheap, the oil still very clean even after 2 yrs, I am aware that additives can degrade over time and condensation can occur whilst standing, I am using 15W-40 oil to API clasification CC.

I do no more than 1500 mls a year

Many members must have this dilemma, and would be grateful for any informed opinions, I know I would, times are getting harder!

Edited by gritineye

My cats burn so much an oil change is hardly needed.

Don't Cats have an oil bleed into the fuel system so there is a constant oil change going on as you top up? I've read that somewhere I'm sure.

One advantage with Cummins is that the oil filtration is such that the drained oil can be put straight in the diesel tank as fuel, this is included when calculating the lifetime fuel consumption.

Don't Cats have an oil bleed into the fuel system so there is a constant oil change going on as you top up? I've read that somewhere I'm sure..

I think thats called a blown headgasket.You read some funny books,was it Mr crabtree shows Jim an oil change.

I think thats called a blown headgasket.You read some funny books,was it Mr crabtree shows Jim an oil change.

Hmmm .... I think you might be getting angling mixed up in this somewhere:rofl::rofl:

Hmmm .... I think you might be getting angling mixed up in this somewhere:rofl::rofl:

Gotcha you fell into that one a secret Mr crabbtree fan a.Who was the angler who wrote the books.

Gotcha you fell into that one a secret Mr crabbtree fan a.Who was the angler who wrote the books.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that I am Leslie Welch(The Memory Man), was it that Venereal Benaballs bloke:???

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that I am Leslie Welch(The Memory Man), was it that Venereal Benaballs bloke:???

That aint arf bad mate,spot on.:-D

That aint arf bad mate,spot on.:-D

Oh well, that must prove I haven't gone completely senile yet then, trouble is I'm not bad on 60 years ago but what happened 10 minutes ago is a complete blank:sweat:

Oh well, that must prove I haven't gone completely senile yet then, trouble is I'm not bad on 60 years ago but what happened 10 minutes ago is a complete blank:sweat:

Thats normal ,have a look at Meet the Navy.