Flying Legends Airshow 2008 - Picture intensive thread!

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show is closed by the 'Balbo', a mass formation of most of the aircraft that took part in the show. This year there were 26 aircraft which took part. The first picture is many of the fighters on the runway waiting to take off.

The next two show the 'Balbo' in the air, and the final picture is of Stephen Grey who owns the Fighter Collection and is the show organiser. Without him, the warbird scene in the UK would be very different.

Steve

balbo1.jpg

balbo2.jpg

balbo3.jpg

steve_grey.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Was the Yak a russian design,and was it wood construction?thanks for all your pics.cheers.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Was the Yak a russian design,and was it wood construction?thanks for all your pics.cheers.

The Yak John, yes Russian,wood yes,Oh ok mate thanks for that:confused:

I have the Yak down as mixed construction, Plywood and Fabric covered. Early Yak 3's had wooden Wing spars, on later Yak 3's this was changed to a light alloy spar.

The wing on early Yaks was one piece wooden with twin wooden spars with a plywood skin. The fuselage was of tubular steel construction. The front of the fusalage had removable metal panels , Further back it was plywood covered, but in later Aircraft this was changed to Doped fabric.

In Total Russia built 4848 Yak 3's and it ais regarded as the most manouverable fighter of the war ( all combatants)

Edited by antarmike

New build Yak 3 is a metal wing with a tubular fuselage with alloy panels.

I know some original Yaks had a ply and resin wing skin that used to delaminate. At +6G this could ruin your day. For photos try Meier Motors GBr.

or http://www.airventure.de/news_jaks_freiburg_1_07.htm.

Any questions on L4 Cubs, DH82a Tiger Moths and DHC-1 Chipmunks I should be able to answer without getting a headache. If you check CAA G-INFO for G-AISX thats one of my toys + a GMC 353 +Willys MB.

Alan