New toy in the family..

Rick W

Bought an Iltis off some dodgy old hack the other week! (1x Iltis off Snapper) Put it through an MOT to see what the old girl needs, and remarkably it was almost an identical failure sheet to what it failed on its previous MOT. Drove it back home today and it is sitting on the drive much to the annoyance of the neighbours.:whistle: A fun little thing to drive, it certainly turns heads. Hope to order the parts to sort it out in the next day or 2 so it is ready in the next week or 2 for day to day use. Will post a before and after a lick of paint pic soon.

I'll admit to having always liked the looks of the Itis, and was seriously looking at finances, re buying one,........so your findings etc would be interesting;............I would have had to have it as daily drive, impressions,...............please. :-D

i like the iltis too . and ignore the dodgy looks from neighbours . mine all think ive lost the plot with the simca sumb stood outside . hotchkiss in garage and new addition toylander willys jeep for my 16 month old baby boy .cant wait til he can drive it around .........:coffee:

I'll admit to having always liked the looks of the Itis, and was seriously looking at finances, re buying one,........so your findings etc would be interesting;............I would have had to have it as daily drive, impressions,...............please. :-D

andy, are you a fifth columist :shocked: ill have to keep an eye on you :n00b:

I thought about a toylander for Ellie our 2 and a bit daughter. I drove the Iltis back to our place about a mile or so up the road, the petrol lump has been replaced by a Passat Tdi lump. I havent seen what it does top end speed but am guessing 50-60mph. An entertaining drive though, and I intend to drive it to work everyday, especially with the top off. Though it staes a minimum of 2 people to take the canvas off and looking into it I can see why!

enjoy , the sumb is soft top but ive never taken it off . the toylander is a great little jeep look on there website , i found this one on ebay a bargain and only 4 mile away from me i snapped it up , back to the iltis i wouldnt mind one myself but too many toys at the moment , :)

Hi, Iltis top speed is about 140 KPH. But you will need to tow a big petrol tank behind for that!

I keep being asked if mine is a kit car! But as you say it does turn heads. The garage who MOT it, love to have it in. The chap who runs it is a Bettle/ campervan nut. So he has to take it for a quick test drive every year.

Enjoy the fun of it.

Just found out, Iltis means Ferret. that will confuse nicley, apparently it was the insperation for the Audi Quattro.

The Canadians designated their Bombardier and VWIltis as the Ferret. But it actually means Polecat in literal translation from the German. It is the basis of the Audi Quattro. All the clever differential stuff went into the A1 Quattro and was modified further for the A2 and Sport Quattro rally cars all the road types are based on.

MB