Scammell Crusader Gallery

Cute ! :DSomething went wrong...

Your having a laff arnt you....????

Using a recovery winch to pull that bare chassis onto the spec lift, could have pushed that on. Bet they charge extra for using the winch eh.....!!!!:nut:

I was on the RCT MDT in the mid eighties, got to drive this! The load was a MK2 Stalwart and JCB 410 Fork Lift, which as you see just fitted. Page 1 of this thread featured 23GT99 while I drove 24GT00. Nice truck slow though, especially when we travelled from Plymouth to Scotland at 30mph. Got very interesting north of the border as our movement order directed us via Fort William and round in a loop to the show site, which I think was in/near Elgin. Very narrow roads for a 60 foot long rig with an trailer around 11 feet wide

:shocked:

Andy

Hi Andy I also was with the MDT in the mid eighties my job was the stolly op I have some photos some were which I hope the get on disc.

regards Cossy

• 1 year later...

Dear All,

The longer wheelbase of the Amazon enables it to steer properley when the rear bogie is fully loaded.

On RPM for a Rolls, I never let one exceed 2200 RPM. I was advised by Rolls at Shrewsbury that you will be doing permanent damage by exceeding 2400 RPM. This damage does not necessarily manifest itself immediately!

John Attlee

Dear All,

The longer wheelbase of the Amazon enables it to steer properley when the rear bogie is fully loaded.

On RPM for a Rolls, I never let one exceed 2200 RPM. I was advised by Rolls at Shrewsbury that you will be doing permanent damage by exceeding 2400 RPM. This damage does not necessarily manifest itself immediately!

John Attlee

John,

2400+ rpm does usually manifest itself immediately.... usually in the form of valve collisions with piston crowns resulting at best in compression loss and at worst.... Well lets just say its not pleasant!

All the best

Nigel

• 1 year later...

I believe she was a 65ton tank transporter which Dave Crouch converted to take smaller 2" fifth wheel and lowered the arches and strap box to suit. She only does 40 mph and the ballast box is just sat on the fifth wheel, shes still capable of towing a trailer.

I believe she was a 65ton tank transporter which Dave Crouch converted to take smaller 2" fifth wheel and lowered the arches and strap box to suit. She only does 40 mph and the ballast box is just sat on the fifth wheel, shes still capable of towing a trailer.

No, 35ton plant trailer similar to the ones pulled by 6x6 Constructors. If this is the original one owned by DC it came from Peter Court as a non runner many years ago with all the brake shoes removed and the con rods and pistons in the back of the cab! I bought the 3.5" 5th wheel to go on my Constructor as it was almost identical to the original and Peter Court let me have the mounting crossmember from his recovery Constructor.

You can use Crusader recovery crown wheels/pinions to get about 50 flat out or even lower ratio ones from a Leyland Marathon.

No, 35ton plant trailer similar to the ones pulled by 6x6 Constructors. If this is the original one owned by DC it came from Peter Court as a non runner many years ago with all the brake shoes removed and the con rods and pistons in the back of the cab! I bought the 3.5" 5th wheel to go on my Constructor as it was almost identical to the original and Peter Court let me have the mounting crossmember from his recovery Constructor.

You can use Crusader recovery crown wheels/pinions to get about 50 flat out or even lower ratio ones from a Leyland Marathon.

the 35t and 65t business does confuse me to be honest, she is around 61t on the plate.

Nice to know a little more of its history, Dave said he put a new engine in it when he had her.

Looking at the earlier posts in the thread from the lad with the "RoadHaus" crusader the 5.5 ring and pinions seem to be the way to go when I have some time and money!

the 35t and 65t business does confuse me to be honest, she is around 61t on the plate.

Nice to know a little more of its history, Dave said he put a new engine in it when he had her.

Looking at the earlier posts in the thread from the lad with the "RoadHaus" crusader the 5.5 ring and pinions seem to be the way to go when I have some time and money!

I sold Roland Remp with the Roadhaus Crusader the crown wheel and pinion sets to give the better road speed, when I sold my Crusader last year I stupidly let the the last set of low ratio sets go with it on the promise of the money being sent on to me, still waiting....I think I will be making a visit soon to get them back.

If you do get any let me know antar :)

What sort of speed is safe with the hub reductions?

Any issues running at modern motorway speeds?

My cousin is a truck fitter n every time i mention regearing my new toy to approach more comfortable cruising speeds he gives me grief n says im stupid but ive seen a couple that run quicker with no issues so would like more opinions from those that have, bearing in mind i will be towing a tandem axle king lowloader with an explorer plonked on top lol

The replacement CW&Ps were a standard fit on Leyland Group 4x2/6x4 trucks made for general use so no problems with speed. I haven't driven a laden Crusader outfit but I suspect the brakes could be marginal due to the restriction on trailer drum size with the the small wheels.

• 6 months later...

Well we have sorted the gear linkage out so it shifts nicely now, she still kicks out of top gear like a mule though!

Also seems very reluctant to start in this colder weather despite giving her a good lick of cold start...

Heres a celebratory pic

DSC_0115.jpg

Hi Nick, what is the reg, I can soon tell you if it is David's old one?

The Rolls 305 has a cold start button on the pump but my old S26 was not the best of starters either, it would smoke like mad and take a while to fire on all 6 cylinders. The others at Witham were all the same.

KBC 116N

I bought it off Dave Crouch and he said he had it when it got de-mobbed, heres when Dave had her.

11950189_10153025476457116_3379447187212432889_o.jpg

Will have to treat her to some better batteries and use the fuel pump cold start in future i think :rotfl:

Need to try her under the lowloader when I get the ballast box off.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...