Week end distraction.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Went down to Gosport to work on the boat,got a little sidetracked.

gosport012.jpg

gosport013.jpg

These lads determined to save this one,RAF range safety launch,Thorneycroft.20 knts.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

gosport001.jpg

gosport002.jpg

gosport004.jpg

A nice couple of Rolls Royces,supercharged,only175hp but collosal torque.

Both came from a scrap boat and were stripped and o/hauled as necesary.The owner looking very determined.

Cat 175bhp seems very conservative rating for marine use, a C6SFL/R makes 250bhp for automotive use (Scammell Super Constructor) and 210bhp for plant use (Vickers Vigor crawler tractor).

Your right it does seem a bit on the low side,i havnt checked my self,but impressed with your knowledge of them.Maybe derated for reiability as they would of been run at only 200rpm lower than max most of the time.They may just have had enough power for the hullspeed,At 43ft it was probably a 20knt boat.

Good example of marine rating is the Cummins 6B (5.9L) -

naturally aspirated 130hp

turbo 150hp/170hp

turbo/intercooled 210hp

marine - up to 300hp! Cooling seems to be the crucial facor?

Or even more impressive, the 12L Volvo Penta - 775bhp for leisure use:shake:

Does anyone know what the situation regarding using red diesel in boats is at present ? I think I recently read that leisure marine use must now be run on white. Was that just inland on rivers or any UK based sea going leisure vessels as well ?

Does anyone know what the situation regarding using red diesel in boats is at present ? I think I recently read that leisure marine use must now be run on white. Was that just inland on rivers or any UK based sea going leisure vessels as well ?
Best batten down the hatches in readiness for when Catweazle sees that question. There's gonna be a hurricane... :angry

gosport006.jpg

gosport007.jpg

Some of these gauges had been replaced,the faces of the old ones had been carefully removed and put on the replacements.

rsl164320pembrokedock201956.jpg

RSL 1643 pembroke dock.

FOUND OUT THIS WK END THIS IS THE GOSPORT BOAT.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)
more info

A complete act of vandalism.Due to the failure of the powerboat trust,we wont go into the reasons,this boat was stripped and BURNTit had to be off the site in 5 wks and proved imposible to find a home for it,i am told it managed to destroy 5 chain saws.GOOD.The engines and a lot of the parts went to 1663 so wasnt all wasted.i was told another 6 boats went the same way,dont want to even think about it.There is no hope what so ever of these boats being saved for the future.:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Echo20June200420007.jpg

Tell me this isn't true.

Sorry mate it is,met the people who did it.But they are restoring the other one,

175 is the normally quoted output of the roadgoing C6NFL the normally aspirated version of this engine.

Re checked with the lads they are now saying 195 not a lot more for marine use,but enough for 20 knts apparently.

• 1 month later...

NELSON 34,as used on carriers.

wkend015.jpg

Just turned up at the yard.

wkend013.jpg

wkend014.jpg

wkend012.jpg

wkend011.jpg

Single engine,about 12 knots,an absolute insult to Peters design far to slow.Ford dorset 6 cyl.

The previous owner had fitted a 50 hp outboard just in case.built 1970.havnt traced history yet.

Similar engines to the Challenger tank then?

Hi Richard,is it well will find out more later,training vessels origanally manned by thr RNVR.Built by the same people who made my hull.we were in Weymouth once and one came in crewed totally by Ladies.I have tried to get them to have a little race when i have met them but they never do.

unlike the pilot boats who allways do.they have 1.000 hp so give me a good run for me money.:cool2: