What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

At nearly all shows now as a result of games such as Call of Duty the Bren is constantly being mistaken for a 'Type 99' by the kids, as featured in a recently Call of Duty game. Quite satisfying correcting them :-D

YUP! ....lol

When we get kids near the display we now say "Before you ask , NO its not a type 88, No its not a Sten, No its not a G3, non of these weapons are in Call of Duty or MOH"

LOL

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every thing I have read says that the M5 was only used by US forces for training in the states and none were used in action, that that whole production line was for lend lease, so I would be interersted in reading this article or any other that is around just to put me right.

Ta

Jon

I've just spent half an hour (should be working....) searching the site for the thread but have failed to find it. It was along the lines of ''Proof of US combat use of IHC halftracks'' and did indeed show such use. The locations were not in doubt but it was felt that perhaps it was an exception to the norm.

At the first military show that I exhibited my Land-Rover I was approached by someone in full WW2 british para uniform, he asked "what did you paint the canvas with and why?" I replied that the Landy was exactly as disposed of by the army down to the lot number from Aston Down. I then asked him why he had medal ribbons on his Denison smock and was driving a series 111 Landy? Strangely he walked off.

A few years ago I drove one of Barry Pococks WMIK Land-rovers on the London to Brighton Land-Rover run, Barry drove his Camel trophy Landy, which has a roof mounted tent. Barry took an aluminium extending ladder to access the tent, which he threw in the back of one of the WMIKS. At Brighton someone came up and asked what the ladder was for? My reply was that it was standard SAS issue as they had to have some way of retrieving grappling hooks. He believed it!!!

I once contacted the curator of the now defunct Beverly collection in regardes to the M5 based half track they had on display asking if it was origionaly a M14 or a M17 variant. He replied that it was a M3 Halftrack.

I replied that it was not, that it was defently a IHC due to the mud guards and rear body and asked again what variant it was.

He replied angrily that it was defently a M3 Halftrack and that he should know because he drove them in the Army.

I replied that he should look up what he has in the museum as it is a IHC m5 based Halftrack, and put the phone down.:mad:

Am I expecting too much from people to know what they have on display or is it just me being too finniky?

Jon

I once contacted the curator of the now defunct Beverly collection in regardes to the M5 based half track they had on display asking if it was origionaly a M14 or a M17 variant. He replied that it was a M3 Halftrack.

I replied that it was not, that it was defently a IHC due to the mud guards and rear body and asked again what variant it was.

He replied angrily that it was defently a M3 Halftrack and that he should know because he drove them in the Army.

I replied that he should look up what he has in the museum as it is a IHC m5 based Halftrack, and put the phone down.:mad:

Am I expecting too much from people to know what they have on display or is it just me being too finniky?

Jon

Yes you were being too finniky, Wally Dugan was a hell of a nice bloke, he had enough of a job trying to keep the place open to the public for as long as he did without people winding him up.

When I rang mr Dugan I was polite and even explained to him politely whyit was a IHC,what he said next made me responded to him in the same manner. It was a valid question and not a wind up.

He may have been having a bad day but it still one of those things I remember because I even double checked my pics to be sure my self.

This is the vehicle I was referring to.

Then again I had a man at a museum walk though the middle of our roped off display kicking over two radios and asked what he think hes doing, Said its my museum and my stuff I do what the hell I like, I pointed out it was not his stuff he kicked over and went and reported him to the museum staff who informed me it was the curator.

Ta

Jon

us10431.jpg

Edited by Panzer nut

I hope you like this;

I was recently at a museums meeting. One of the chaps there was an area manager for National Trust. Clouds Hill is in his patch. He relayed how a visitor was overheard saying, "well he didn't make much money from the film then!"

Jon

I must be a bit dim: I know next to nothing about US vehicles but if you start with an M5 halftrack and add bits, you get an M14 or M17, right? If you then take the extra bits off, you end up with an M5 again don't you? If that is the case, why phone to find out what it was if you already know?

On a different tack, I have been asked why don't I cut the canvas off my Valentine DD and end up with a 'real' tank? I was also asked if I knew my information board contained an error? What is it says I (expecting some spelling mistake etc). He says that it had it is a Mark IX but all DD's were Mark VIII's. What is the difference says I? The engine he says, Mk VIII had an AEC but IX had a GMC. Correct I say but do you really think I have owned this for 25 years without ever lifting the bonnet (hood) and having a look? Git!

Hey John

I love your Valentine DD, you let me crawl all over it for my web site one year.

I better check i have it labeled correctly...lol...don't want to upset you :cool2:

Its just like your tank, different engine different variant, still it is basically a ordinary valentine if you take the bits off, if you know what I mean.;)

ta

Jon

Ps. I now have a better camera and have you finished the 438 yet?

I got this one when I'm out in my saracen:

Joe Public: " I used to drive these Pigs, when I was in Ireland, and Germany"

Me: " This is NOT a 'Pig', it is an Alvis Saracen, I think you mean you drove Humber Pigs, which are smaller, have 4 wheels and have the same 6-cyl engine as Ferrets"

Joe: "Ah, yes, they were Sarsons, but they cut the backs shorter, took off the back axle, and some still had the 8-cyl engines left in them, I remember, cos on the 8-cyl ones, the brakes were really bad!"

Me: "No, sir, you are mistaken, they are 2 seperate vehicles, A Humber Pig, and An Alvis Saracen, one is 4 wheeled, one is and always was 6 wheeled, look, here are some pictures from the factory, of Saracens being made"

Joe: "Don't F*****g cal me a bloody liar!, I fought for my Queen and country in them, against the jerries, I drove them, and repaired them.....bloody youth of today, think they know it all!"

:undecided:....I was speechless at his last 'outburst', after which he wandered of to 'correct' some other unsuspecting enthusiast!.... you gotta smile, I suppose1

I'm 43 this year, this 'Joe Public' was probably between 48-60....

I think my favourite happened to me a couple of years ago at a local show. I was stood by my jeep talking to a mate (also jeep owner) when a bloke walks up and says "My mate has got one of these in a shed, been there years". As we all know the old ears prick up at a sentence like this. He then continued,"Yeh same as this but a bit bigger and more rounded at the front, I think it has a Rolls engine in it". Me and mate reply almost in unison "Ah that sounds like a Champ, made by Austin and from the post war era, this is WW2 American". To this the bloke replies completely deadpan, "No it's definitely one of these" :???

On the Dodge I put a German helmet on the spare wheel.

Standard remark...that's Germanand shouldn't be on there. I just say, its a war trophy.

Most people accept it.

Nobody notices the German Jerrycan though.

Also most people test the Fake barbed wire on the sparewheel and grille.

Second world war display at Duxford a few years ago.

oh look he is making a cup of tea, is that fire real? Stick your hand on it, it doesn't mind.:cool2:

That rifles a fake right?, errrrr no its real. Bull **** its fake, TEST FIRE oh ok maybe it is real.

I like your type 99, thanks but its a Bren.

Many years ago when I drove for the British Army, I had to deliver a Land Rover and trailer to Devonport, I can remember talking to some Naval bod (He seemed to be in charge of something) he was asking silly questions, like

Whats that = The tow hitch.

Whats it for? = To tow a trailer.

Whats a Trailer?, This is a trailer .

Well whats that black thing. == Thats the lighting cable.

What do you need lights for. == To see in the Bally dark.

& this pratt was from the Senior Service, God help the British Navy if its run by pratts like that.

As the saying goes, for all the so called experts. Ex is something that has been & a Spert is a drip under pressure (Thank's to the late Blaster Bates for that one):nut::rolleyes::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Very entertaining thread..some real blinders there!!

Heres a few of my own..not MV related but still along the same lines.

Few years ago I used to own and show a 1969 Ford Mustang with a 429ci V8. It took me, with help from friends 4 1/2 years to restore.

I had all the usual questions and "armchair experts" telling me this and that etc.

Best ones: "can it do wheelies?"

"how fast does it go?"

"is it the car from Bullet?"

"is it Eleanor?"

But the most irritating and tedious was the "how many mpg does it do and why did I buy a V8?"

I got bored of answering a lot of questions and just used to sit in my picnic chair pretenting to read the paper!! Id made up a board with all the answers and info about the car but as others know most people just cant be bothered to read it!!

Ill be showing my TM this year.....think ill tell people that yes it does do wheelies!!

Edited by extrogg
spelling!

I weed out the worst with this at the top of an information board for the Shorland.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is it ‘real’? – Yes

2. Does it float? – No

3. Is it home-made? – No

4. Is it the wrong colour? – No, it is a Police vehicle, not an Army vehicle.

Having got those FAQs out of the way, I am more than happy to talk about other aspects of the history of this rare vehicle.

My computer has gone crackers: I can only post a reply before the question!! Who writes programmes for microsoft, Ronnie Barker???

438 restoration sort of stopped. It got a new engine, now runs fine and I have a set of new trackguards to fit onto it but apart from that, it has gone towards the back of the queue.

Do you want to try out your new camera?

Cheers

John

Hey John

I love your Valentine DD, you let me crawl all over it for my web site one year.

I better check i have it labeled correctly...lol...don't want to upset you :cool2:

Its just like your tank, different engine different variant, still it is basically a ordinary valentine if you take the bits off, if you know what I mean.;)

ta

Jon

Ps. I now have a better camera and have you finished the 438 yet?