What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

A jackstaff is a small vertical spar (pole) in the bow of a ship, on which a particular type of flag, known as a jack, is flown.

Any flag flown from the Jackstaff becomes a Jack not a Flag. It does not relate only to the Union Flag becoming the Union Jack.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jersey Flag, or Jack, depending where flown was a White background, with Red St Andrew's Cross. Trouble is that is also V (Victor) in International Flag code, flown alone means 'I am in distress@. the top centre of the flag is now defaced with the seal of three Leapords.

If sails are upside down that also means 'HELP!! if you can see them, if you wearing aqualungs when you see the sails, well I think the problem would be obvious.

Jacks are additional national flags flown by warships (and certain other vessels) at the head of the ship. These are usually flown while not underway and when the ship is dressed on special occasions. Jacks in the Royal Navy must be run up when the first line is ashore when coming alongside.

In the Royal Navy, the Union Flag at sea serves both as a naval jack and as the rank flag of an Admiral of the Fleet. It is illegal for a merchant ship or yacht to fly the Union Flag: a civilian jack (sometimes known as the pilot jack as it was formerly used to request a pilot) exists, and consists of the Union Flag with a white border. The St George's Cross flown from the jack staff is known as the Dunkirk jack, and is customarily flown by ships and boats which took part in the Dunkirk evacuation operation in 1940. The flying of the St George's Cross elsewhere on a civilian ship is illegal, as it is the rank flag of a full Admiral.

(Wikpedia)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

There is an exception to the George cross rule WIKPEDIA have missed.A special warrant was issued to The Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes.This permits the flying of the cross to members,also note the white Ensign.

whiteensign0001.jpg

And its all mine mine mine,see it at Portsmouth June 21st start of round Britain race,

libaryone025-1.jpg

Here it is at the start of the 1969 race.

Sorry this should be in the Navy section,could one of the mods move it .cheers.:rofl:

There is an exception to the George cross rule WIKPEDIA have missed.A special warrant was issued to The Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes.This permits the flying of the cross to members,also note the white Ensign.

whiteensign0001.jpg

And its all mine mine mine,see it at Portsmouth June 21st start of round Britain race,

libaryone025-1.jpg

Here it is at the start of the 1969 race.

Sorry this should be in the Navy section,could one of the mods move it .cheers.:rofl:

Nice........

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
What a beauty ! How long will the race take please Mr Weazle and what a lot of expensive fuel you'll burn ! Do you still pay the new duty on red derv if you are at sea ?

The race finishes on 30th 1600 miles,most boats will consume a gallon every mile or less.The red diesel will double in price in november so expect this to be the last round britain,and the last of the motor boat industry in england.:argh:

The race finishes on 30th 1600 miles,most boats will consume a gallon every mile or less.The red diesel will double in price in november so expect this to be the last round britain,and the last of the motor boat industry in england.:argh:

Good luck then mate ! Hope it all goes well and post the pictures of you passing the finish line first !:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::captain:

Not told me, but instructions on a towrope

"Switch on the hazzard warning lights on the towed vehicle."

Obviously totally unaware there is only one situation when you are allowed to have hazzards switched on ON A MOVING VEHICLE, and then it has to be "briefly"

When aproaching traffic congestion to warn following vehicles. Mind you flashing hazzards seems to have become a habit for thanking someone behind you who has let you out. Don't know where it started but has become popular with the buses round here. also seen on a wing mirror , 'Objects seen are behind you' And on teh wingtip of 737's 'Instructions on opening panel inside'

Edited by Tony B

remembered another one, when I had the ex USAF Police chevy, I used to cover up the front number plate with replica USAF plate with its original number on, many a time I have seen people say, "its not a real american car, its got a British number plate behind this one!!!" :argh:

Mark

About the Command Car.

Nice Jeep!

"No its a Dodge".

German vehicle? (in the Netherlands Dodge sound to some people as Duits/Deutsch meaning German).

"No a Dooohhddge... Its Ameriacan, the bigger brother of the Jeep."

Oh.

Another one.

Is it Diesel?

"Nope, gasoline".

Drinks a lot of fuel doesn't it?

"Yep."

when the rivet counters come up and spout,......' oh, its not origional, blady blah,.........' smiling sweetly, :cool2: then inform them, that, they're right...:???,............'ITS GOT 2008 PETROL IN IT'..........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

when the rivet counters come up and spout,......' oh, its not origional, blady blah,.........' smiling sweetly, :cool2: then inform them, that, they're right...:???,............'ITS GOT 2008 PETROL IN IT'..........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I always smile look 'em straight in the eye, smile and say the one thing they really don't want to hear....

"I don't care"

Then ask them where theirs is and say "lets 'ave a look at that then"

That shifts the buggers he he!

My dad had a 1953 London Transport Guy single deck bus, delivered to LT's country area. We used to have a Green Line Destination Blind in it, so at one show a Know it all type spoke, "you shouldnt have that destination showing, they never ran in Green Line service!!!" so apart from muttering to myself, I asked him to accompany me to the side of the bus and I showed him a London Bus Magazine dated 1968 showing my dads bus on GreenLine Service!!!!!! off walked the know it all muttering to himself!!!!!!

Mark