What is the daftest thing anyone has asked you...

antarmike

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ward La France eh You Sure its not a KenWorth ???:cool2::rofl::cool2:
Ouch! You can go off some people you know :n00b:

We had one of these moments at the weekend - we were talking to one of the Red Ball guys and he said there was a WLF turning up on the Saturday. I asked the owner's name and didn't recognise it. (I think I know about most of the WLFs and owners in the UK) I said to Grasshopper afterwards "I bet it's a DT", sure enough, it was! :rolleyes:

After many years of the same daft questions and arguments I put this in the window, it didn't help, they still know best!

image0-8.jpg

I LIKE that! As Markheliops says, we just need 4 FAQs:

1. It's a Ward Lafrance

2. No, not a Diamond T, it's a Ward Lafrance

3. No, it's not French.

- Mike

you are making two big assumptions. 1 they can read. 2 they are going to bother! Like destination blinds on the front of buses, why ?:???

Best sign I have ever seen on an MV. 'The paint on this vehicle is soft and scrathes easily. DO NOT lean aginst it unless you are stark naked'.

Like all the others in this thread, I have had problems with my British Ford vehicles. I am going to make a sign for my Ford WOA2 car this year after getting the same questions asked - frequently. They are :-

1. NO IT'S NOT A HUMBER, IT'S A FORD

2. NO IT'S NOT AMERICAN, IT'S BRITISH (Made in Dagenham)

3. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE

4. NO I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU CAN BUY ONE

I was once chastised by a well known commercial vehicle collector for brushing my arm against one of his Bedfords on the Brighton sea front during the finale of whatever year's Brighton Run it was....I thought he over reacted somewhat and my brother in law, who will read this, might have liked to deck him...It wasn't so much his complaint, it was the manner, so to speak. Tw4t.

When I was a volunteer at Duxford (before the wife found out) I made the horendous mistake of touching a Spitfire with the tip of my index finger in view of a total Rsoul who went in to full Blakey mode and told me I had damaged a million pound aircraft.

Best thing I have been ever been asked! A gorgeous women in a very fine summer dress, and pocessing the most sexy voice asking 'Can I ride your Bike'? (When it had an old torn saddle):shake::shake::nut::banana::banana::dancinggirls::dancinggirls::eek::P:thumbsup::flowers::goodidea:

My son James, who shall remain nameless, is an Air Cadet in Sarfffend. I collected him in the Iltis once and while I waited two female cadets came out, one of whom was, shall we say (carefully - given the watershed) stunning. "I'll have to make friends with whoever gets in that" she said...Queue arrival of said yoof. I tell him of this conversation in my best "go on my son!" voice. What did he say? "Please don't pick me up in this, it's embarrassing".

Still, he doesn't carry knives or use crack.................................yet.

While surveying the Lightweight.....

'Nice Jeep'

'It's not a Jeep, it's a Land Rover'

'Oh, sorry. I like these sort of Jeeps though.'

'I'm glad you like it - but it's still not a Jeep'

'Didn't the French build these after the war?'

'No, that was Jeeps - this is a Land Rover'

'My Dad had the Civvy version'

'There never was a civvy version - they were only built for the forces'

'Course they did, my neighbour drives a Jeep'

'I'm sure he does, but this isn't a Jeep'

Etc.....

While out in the Autocar, Steve stopped to pick up a hitch hiker. They then had a brief conversation:

Hiker "What is this"

Steve " It is a World war one Autocar".

Hiker "What year is it"

Steve " 1917"

Hiker "So it is old enough to have been in the first world war then"

Steve ".....Yes....."

I am always meeting idiots while in the Jeep usually in petrol stations:

Idiot "What is this"

Me "It is a 1944 Willys Jeep"

Idiot "Russian then"

Me "No, American"

Idiot "But it has white stars on it"

Me "Yes.... well spotted"

Idiot "It is Russian - the white star is Russian symbol"

Me "Good bye"

I guess the idiots are not always the people asking the questions:

Idiot (leaning on back of Jeep). "I want one of these where can i get one".

Me "Try Dallas Autoparts in Newbury it is just down the road".

Idiot "How much does it cost"

Me "Upto about £10,000 depending on condition".

Idiot "That is rather a lot - i was expecting to pay about £10"

Me "Not since 1945"

Idiot "Hmmm, i did mean just the jerrycan on the back, not the Jeep. I am going on holiday to Scotland and did not want to run out of petrol".

Me "Ohh. I do think they still sell petrol in Scotland"

Idiot "goodbye (muttering under breath "idiot")"

Tim (too)

You must really attract them Tim......

I can't remember many over the last 25 years though I'm sure there have been some.

There is an ex-Sherman crewman I know that insists I have mounted the gun on it's side and always asks me ''when are you going to put the gun in right?'' I havn't the heart to tell him he's wrong!

Said to me when I turned up with The Antar and Dyson at Lincoln rally, Looking at a gap between two military vehicles(about a foot and a half wider than me) the steward says " you should be able to back it in there shouldn't you...

I offered him the chance to show me how to set about it but he declined by offer...

On the opposite hand, Steward at Belvoir Castle, You'll have to leave it in the middle of the arena, because if you park next to the other vehicles you'll never get out!

Reply, "I've driven it 100 miles on public roads to get here, I think I am a better judge of where I can park and still get out of than you..."

Marshall " I have been Marshalling at rallies for 20 years AND I KNOW YOU WONT BE ABLE TO GET OUT IF YOU PARK NEXT TO THE OTHER VEHICLES "

Me "You should see how little room I have to manouvre jn at home"

Marshall "I'm telling you you won't be able to get out if you park there"

Me " S0d Off Watch this"

Edited by antarmike

After many years of the same daft questions and arguments I put this in the window, it didn't help, they still know best!

image0-8.jpg

Even I get asked Q12, Bernie........ :???..............normally followed by whats the gun normally towed behind vehicle. :confused:

(gun in question is a 155mm Howitzer)............SLIGHTLY overweight for a Bedford MW, I think............:sweat::sweat::sweat:

He Ho,........see you at Tinkers. :-D

Andy

Even I get asked Q12, Bernie........ :???.........see you at Tinkers. :-D

Andy

Andy, I can believe it, but I thought you were going to pull me up on Q5, oh bother I'll have to redo it now, although it's not all over DOG!

Sunny Tinkers next, see ya!

The common stupid questions I get asked about the Land rover 101 Radio Body are

1. Is it armoured

2. Does it float

3. Are they missiles on the roof (the masts carried on the roof)

4. Is that the exhaust (as above)

5. Is it made of wood

6. Did you make it yourself (what a tw*t)

6. Did you make it yourself

I got asked something similar at a show about our WW1 Autocar, by a photographer working for a magazine (no one we know in case you wonder). He said "Is that something you just made up". What an idiot. If i was going to make something up i wouldnt end up with a truck that looked like that.

Tim (too)

Andy, I can believe it, but I thought you were going to pull me up on Q5, oh bother I'll have to redo it now, although it's not all over DOG!

Sunny Tinkers next, see ya!

Well wasn't going to mention the missed bit on wheel rim,......:whistle: :-D

Seeing Paul's reply reminds me. We were at one event repairing the electric motor that drives the Rapier. At the time Kit Kat were doing a series of TV adverts including one about roller skating Pandas. This little bloke in shorts and sleeveless pullover turns up with vidio camera, a sptting image of the man in the advert. I said to Paul, 'If he pulls out a Kit kat, I'll wet myself'. Manny set up camera and filmed for about 5 minutes, us trying to keep the flow of invective toned down. Eventually he tok down the camera, tripod etc, and pulled out a note book. At this point he came up to Paul and said' Excuse me, what is it?':rofl:

First aider asked a land rover driver who was slightly/very worse for wear and had lost his bearings so was unable to find his vehicle on the War & Peace show ground ' I am sure we can get you back to your Land Rover what colour is it?'.............................

I once owned a Austin Gipsy fire engine, frequently heard from "knowledgable" members of public, "oh look a Austin Land Rover!!!!!"

Mark

Yes I had a firend of mine say to me 'We are laying bets about the first time you hit someone for calling the Gipsy and Land Rover' My first car a 1968 Austin Gipsy G4M10. index number J5569, wish I had both number and vehicle now.

I can just about cope with the questions. I've had the usual, "Is it amphibious ?" asked of the Land Rover ambulance and a slightly more worrying, "Scammell, that's Swedish isn't it ?" but this is really what gets me.

There you are, at a show, with your pride and joy when a conversation starts that goes something like this;

Wild Goose, "I know where there's one exactly the same as that behind this barn just off the A38"

Me, "Has it got the same mudguards and bonnet ?"

Wild Goose, "Exactly the same"

Me, "Has it got the funny bit on the top and six wheels just like this one ?"

Wild Goose, "I'm telling you the one behind the barn is identical to your one'

Well, we all know how this story ends because it's happened to you as well. You arrive, panting with excitement at the barn just off the A38, or where ever, only to find some fairly modern lorry that is absolutely nothing what ever like your pride and joy. I know they mean well, and you have to take them seriously........just in case it's not another WILD GOOSE CHASE. grrraaaaa!!!!!!!