Military Fodens

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There he is the man that now owns the Millitant (Julez), good to hear/know your pleased with the purchase.

Nick I'm not sure if I will have any paint codes/numbers but I will check I got two different colors of green satin from Tor Paints a bit from one tin and about twice as much from the other tin to get the color and shade that I wanted, see what I find over next couple days.

Will post up a couple more photos of Foden towing the Scammell S26 to the local show at Corbridge this weekend coming, while on the Scammell note even though this is a Foden thread I'm on the lookout for some winching gear or recovery underlift or both to go on the Scammell if anybody knows of something that may be suitable for the job please PM me thanks

. . . while on the Scammell note even though this is a Foden thread I'm on the lookout for some winching gear or recovery underlift or both to go on the Scammell if anybody knows of something that may be suitable for the job please PM me thanks

Simon, I do not know if there is any “commonality” (or even if it would be appropriate!), but Withams did strip the recovery equipment from a Foden and were/are selling it separately from the Foden chassis.

Simon, I do not know if there is any “commonality” (or even if it would be appropriate!), but Withams did strip the recovery equipment from a Foden and were/are selling it separately from the Foden chassis.

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,31,/45849/EKA.htm

Mick Walters has successfully fitted one to an S26 DROPS:

Dave crouch was also breaking Foden recoveries and should be able to help, do bear in mind the Foden EKA kit is seriously heavy and will affect the stability quite badly.

There he is the man that now owns the Millitant (Julez), good to hear/know your pleased with the purchase.

Nick I'm not sure if I will have any paint codes/numbers but I will check I got two different colors of green satin from Tor Paints a bit from one tin and about twice as much from the other tin to get the color and shade that I wanted, see what I find over next couple days.

Will post up a couple more photos of Foden towing the Scammell S26 to the local show at Corbridge this weekend coming, while on the Scammell note even though this is a Foden thread I'm on the lookout for some winching gear or recovery underlift or both to go on the Scammell if anybody knows of something that may be suitable for the job please PM me thanks

P1000529.JPG

P1000533.JPG

Cosrec, did I see your Foden at Kibworth, what have you replaced it with after all that work?

Yep nothing as yet but funds permitting will have another on road for winter. At the moment i am playing with the chassis of the recovery gear shown above. The one at Kibworth has been sold (i belive) and is going up north guess where its stopping on the way for shot blast and make over ?

Some photos of the Foden and the Scammell hitching a lift. The journey down was ok until we got to the show field to unhitch and found that one of the retaining R clips in the main lifting pins that goes through the Scammell lifting eye had snapped and the pin was found to have been working its way out :wow::wow:, the R clip was fitted prior to setting off.P1010876.jpg

P1010871.jpg

P1010877.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for more pics and details of the Foden 8x4 LMLC if possible !!!!!!!

Looked over all the great pics on here and found a few already of the Foden tanker getting tranformed into a flatbed !!!!! Does anyone else have any more photos of the 8x4, especially the running gear, suspension, load bed and underside of load bed ????]

A friend and I are hoping to scratchbuild in 1/24 scale individual models of the LMLC but need some help get reasonable reference photos !!!!

NOS was great with info and photos on my TM build which I have been working on thanks to his great help !!!! Landyandy already chipped in with some photos of the Foden !!!!! Any literature with chassis drawings or other stuff that you might have that could show the main features of the build would also be appreciated !!!!

link to DROPS build completed and TM build ongoing

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8175-124-leyland-daf-drops-with-king-trailer/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234917334-124-bedford-tm/

Thanks in advance

Nige

Nige

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Nice show of the Fodens power , but the story that the crane was too wide doesn't make sense as its no wider than the trailer , so if the crane is too wide then the tractor trailer combo is too wide as well .While the Foden is the narrowest .

I think the reason is that some of these modern carrier mounted cranes just don't like a side-slope so it is safer to trailer it , going back a few years Krupp had some models you could use the hydraulic suspension uneven to level out. Axle loads too - looks the sort of site access road with temp. bridging , on the continent tele boom cranes often carry counterweights on own towed trailer , same crane in UK it if re-frigged to carry own weights. Abt. 20 years ago I did several prior to purchase inspections , the buyer specified Krupp & they were to be exported to Africa. Had to go to Holland to find what was wanted along with a bloke in tow with the cheque book LoL

Interesting to see the Foden still in DP , for whatever reason no civvy paint livery as yet , possibly they think the MOD may wish to buy it back , - no it is a Scottish firm..

• 1 month later...

From what I remember of the programme when it aired, the casualty in this incident was a mobile crane which had put its offside wheels onto the verge and sunk, tilting to a spectacular angle.

The Foden was positioned in the field adjacent to the stuck crane, and lifted the casualty to unload the bogged wheels. A second recovery vehicle (a large vehicle of American origin) was positioned further along the road to winch the casualty back onto the tarmac. So the Foden was lifting rather than winching, IIRC.

The tractor was used to winch the Foden back out of the field, since the Foden was slipping 'all wheels' due to the saturated ground.

I can't get the linked version to run either, since I think it requires a presence on some form of social media, or a "My5" account (whatever that may be). I have neither.

CMG are the local recovery people in my area and I know them quite well. The Kenworth with a 70 ton rotator is Mark Cowan's usual vehicle and attends most major LGV incidents. CMG Kenworth

The last time I saw the Foden it was being barred back to MK by a Volvo recovery.