Albion CX22

• 7 months later...
Anyway thats a very good picture, are there any more, I was trying to read the census number on the rear of the chassis cross-member, it looks like X47682**, can anyone read it? I have numbers for both of mine and one post-war number.

Very impressive restoration ackack, a worthy winner!

Don't know if this is any clearer for you, looks like it could be L47682(0?)6.

census trailer.jpg

Smith's truck...it was common to fit twin tyres on the rear axles on Albion trucks, the CX24 and CX6 are examples. There is a diagram in the CX22 manual showing twin wheels.

Radiator is obviously off something else and the front wheels appear to be oversize on civvy rims(CX6/CX24 also had civvy rims)

Could be a CX24, would need to see if there is another fuel tank on nearside.

Edited by ackack

• 2 weeks later...
Probably so they could use smaller tyres of a common truck size. Look at the level of the mudguard against the bonnet and compare to the pic of the gun tractor.

Smith's truck...it was common to fit twin tyres on the rear axles on Albion trucks, the CX24 and CX6 are examples. There is a diagram in the CX22 manual showing twin wheels.

Radiator is obviously off something else and the front wheels appear to be oversize on civvy rims(CX6/CX24 also had civvy rims)

Could be a CX24, would need to see if there is another fuel tank on nearside.

Thanks chaps thought it would be summat like that, just checking. :)

• 1 year later...

Just been going through some old picture albums and came across this shot I took at The Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2004. If I remember the guy drove it all the way from Scotland to the show. Croc will no doubt be able to tell you more.

DSCF0859.jpg

• 3 months later...

I came across an un-restored ex-fairground CX22 sitting in the middle of a local plant and machinery dealer's yard last week. The owner says he drove it in and it is for sale (no idea so don't ask.). It is outdoors but on concrete and looked remarkably complete despite having clearly been in the same place for many years. It is faded red and had gold writing but I do not recall what fairground name. I was too busy getting excited about diggers to pay too much attention to it. Hopefully I'll be back there next week so I'll try and get more details.

- MG

I came across an un-restored ex-fairground CX22 sitting in the middle of a local plant and machinery dealer's yard last week. The owner says he drove it in and it is for sale (no idea so don't ask.). It is outdoors but on concrete and looked remarkably complete despite having clearly been in the same place for many years. It is faded red and had gold writing but I do not recall what fairground name. I was too busy getting excited about diggers to pay too much attention to it. Hopefully I'll be back there next week so I'll try and get more details.

- MG

Sounds interesting Mike. There aren't too many of them around, in fact according to the Albion CX22 website they know of just nine: http://www.albion-cx22.co.uk/cx22database.html#

Just been going through some old picture albums and came across this shot I took at The Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2004. If I remember the guy drove it all the way from Scotland to the show. Croc will no doubt be able to tell you more.

This one is also for sale, with a spares donor, as David has bought a steam roller (the Albion was just too fast for him!) It has been fairly active round the shows up here and did the epic run to GDSF a few years ago (600 miles each way) it appears briefly here

at about 50 seconds, also posts 6 and 7 of this thread. Edited by croc

Sounds interesting Mike. There aren't too many of them around, in fact according to the Albion CX22 website they know of just nine: http://www.albion-cx22.co.uk/cx22database.html#

It looks very similar to the red fairground ones earlier in this thread - are there any similar models with which I might be confusing it? I'll try and get a photo next time I'm there but I don't want to upset the owner. Although it may be for sale, I don't know if he'd appreciate photos of his yard appearing all over the internet.

- MG

It doesn't look like any of the three I know of are on the database, although the pair that Dave Lees has for sale are shown in the survivors section http://www.albion-cx22.co.uk/survivors.html.

Does anyone know the fate of the CX22 used by Chalmers McQueen, galashiels until well into the eighties. It was painted bright orange (along with a Land Rover which it towered over.

Although converted to breakdown. it still had its artillery body, and the truck was in good nick. In the mid/late Eighties it disappeared. A Mack NO chassis/cab appeared very briefly, and then a civilian Atkinson 6x6 ex snowplough took up residence,with the Albions rear body grafted onto it(it actually looked good, like some prototype from the sixties) This survived until the mid nineties.

The Albion probably didnt go into preservation otherwise the body would have gone with it, but it seems a shame if these were already fairly rare and people were beginning to collect them.That,said there was still a lot of WW2 trucks in the Borders in the eighties, and most have since been scrapped.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

I saw David Lees earlier this evening, his running Albion CX22 is still for sale, as is the spare chassis. However, in the fairly near future he wants to start cutting up the spare one for scrap, so last chance if anybody is needing any bits. I will try to get some photos up in the next couple of days.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know the fate of the CX22 used by Chalmers McQueen, galashiels until well into the eighties. It was painted bright orange (along with a Land Rover which it towered over.

Although converted to breakdown. it still had its artillery body, and the truck was in good nick. In the mid/late Eighties it disappeared. A Mack NO chassis/cab appeared very briefly, and then a civilian Atkinson 6x6 ex snowplough took up residence,with the Albions rear body grafted onto it(it actually looked good, like some prototype from the sixties) This survived until the mid nineties.

The Albion probably didnt go into preservation otherwise the body would have gone with it, but it seems a shame if these were already fairly rare and people were beginning to collect them.That,said there was still a lot of WW2 trucks in the Borders in the eighties, and most have since been scrapped.

Dave.

Found a photo of one of the ex snowplough Atkies with the Albion body fitted. it was taken in the early '90s. just before it was bought by a friend of mine for restoration.

scan0012.jpg

Blimey, thats a blast from the past!!!!!

I remember it coming to St Ives (cambs) fair with the dodgem loads. It was then bought from them by an aquaintence of mine and was rallied for a few years

Must start to search my old piccies, it used to go to Haddenham (Ely) rally