Morris Commercial gallery

Rick W

Some more Original photos of Morris trucks from my collection.

Keith, interesting shots, thanks!

A word of caution re. the DVD you hope to make with all of "your" photos of british trucks in German use. I bought an original print of the PU Kübel off Ebay a while ago, only to find it up for auction by the same seller, and published in a book. Obviously, it was not an original print, but one of many printed on old photo paper. . .

What I´m trying to say is you might want to look into copyrights before publishing your DVD.

Regards,

Hanno

Thanks Hanno for the info. Dont know where to start finding the copyright on all the photos. Does the copyright run out after 60 years? when first taken. still i think they should be out there for every one to see as there are lots of info to help us guys to see british trucks in use as the british army did not let you take photos unlike the german army.

These two photos came in the post today. I do let the club mag use them for free. As you do know they cost alot to buy now. Never seen that type of bumper on a Morris before.

Keith [Morris C8 GS + Humber Car. RE Flying Flea

Edited by Morris C8
update

On the subject of Morris Commercials in enemy hands . I wonder what became of the Morris' and other British vehicles captured in the Malaya / Singapore defeat . There were CS8's and other vehicles on issue to the British army in Malaya. I guess the Japanese ran captured trucks into the ground , along with the Ford Marmon Herrington gun tractors of the 8th Aust. division... none survived. At least one solitary captured LP bren carrier has survived .. it is in the AWM Canberra today ..having been recaptured back from the Japs. .

Mike

Do you know of any pics if them in this theatre Mike?

hi Rick,

Well, unlike the Germans and their mass produced AGFA's and Leica's and such, I guess the average Japanese soldier didn't carry a camera around as personal gear. Snap shots of captured vehicles in Jap use are rare . But we do know that fair numbers of British army Humbers and Morris and Austins and so on did fall into Japanese hands ... along with Indian pattern and Australian pattern vehicles .. The defeat was a major setback .. with around 100,000 allied soldiers ending up as POW's. It's a sore point here as 20,000 of our guys went into years of cruel abuse ...1 in 3 of them died . It was all blamed on inept British commanders.. but Percival wasn't the whole problem, he had been screaming out for more modern aircraft and more support for years - the stupid wally's at the WO in Whitehall ignored him.... Malaya was a backwater and anyway... they thought the Japanese were a useless disorganized bunch - never underestimate your enemy ... first rule of war.

The Japs did re-cab some captured trucks with a simple design .. somewhat like the Germans did , but not as elaborate . The AWM archives at http://www.awm.gov.au do have a few pics of re-captured vehicles .... mostly chevs

That Morris CS8 with the bumper, is an early one, pre-1939, bumper was discontinued later. Note it also does not have WD divided wheel rims, but the earlier type with spring ring retainer, often called the "three piece rim".

That three pice rim is the type fitted to the WS10 trailer. Any ideas when they came into service , and went out? I've never seen them on anything else military.

wheel.jpg

Edited by Tony B

That three pice rim is the type fitted to the WS10 trailer. Any ideas when they came into service , and went out? I've never seen them on anything else military.

Tony,

Although the 3-piece rim on MCC 15 cwt trucks with 16" wheels was discontinued around about 1939, give or take a few years, in general the type was still used on military vehicles across a wide span of time. For instance the Austin K6 6x4 used them during the war, then postwar they can be found on many MV's, for example Leyland Martian and Bedford RL and so on.

Edited by Richard Farrant
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Here's two from the AWM archives . The Australian 2/1st field regiment ( artillery ) , Palestine circa 1940. Whats amazing is.. all of the trucks are Morris Commercials . PU, CS8, and CDFW's

And, PU's with the Aust. 6th div , again in Palestine ...

Mike

001201 No. 1 battery 2-1 field regiment Palestine 1940.jpg

PO2037.020 Morris PU's in Palestine with Aust 6th Div 1940.jpg

This CS8 was pictured in the USA of all places.. I think it belongs to a re-enactment group over there ...I may be wrong however . Does anyone know more ?

Mike,

It is part of the collection of the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles: http://www.vmmv.org/. This museum hosts one of the largest private collections of WW2 AFVs in the world. This Morris must have been shipped along from the UK with some of the armour coming from the now defunct Budge collection.

It seems this is the fate of other Morris´ in the USA. A rare PU8/4 was shipped to the states when the Victory Museum in Belgium keeled over and most of their collection was sold to a private museum in the states.

Hanno

Mike,

It is part of the collection of the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles: http://www.vmmv.org/. This museum hosts one of the largest private collections of WW2 AFVs in the world. This Morris must have been shipped along from the UK with some of the armour coming from the now defunct Budge collection.

It seems this is the fate of other Morris´ in the USA. A rare PU8/4 was shipped to the states when the Victory Museum in Belgium keeled over and most of their collection was sold to a private museum in the states.

Hanno

Hi Hanno.. we met again ! People will be talking about us and our secretive rendevous .Yes, now you mention it, Virginia ...

Talking of Morris' in the USA: did you ever see the many times a Morris CS8 appeared in the 1960's TV comedy series 'HOGANS HEROES ' , with Sergeant Shultz and Colonel Klink etc. The Morris appeared in many episodes .. The show was made in Hollywood . So where did the Morris come from ? And what became of it ?

Mike

Hi Hanno.. we met again ! People will be talking about us and our secretive rendevous .Yes, now you mention it, Virginia ...

Talking of Morris' in the USA: did you ever see the many times a Morris CS8 appeared in the 1960's TV comedy series 'HOGANS HEROES ' , with Sergeant Shultz and Colonel Klink etc. The Morris appeared in many episodes .. The show was made in Hollywood . So where did the Morris come from ? And what became of it ?

Hi Mike,

Yes, we meet again; the WW2 Commonwealth collector´s world is small and the internet is making it even smaller.

No, have not seen Hogans Heroes, don´t think it was aired (cabled?) here in Holland. Have you checked the internet movie cars database for M-C film stars?

H.

Edited by mcspool