Guns in the U.K.

snow man

Yes, hand guns are banned entirely. Being found with one in your possession (even a family heirloom) can result in a severe sentence. I think it is a minimum of 8 years but might be wrong on this. There was one celebrated case a few years ago when the remains of a German hand gun were recovered from a wrecked aircraft. The gun was completely coroded beyond any possible use. On the way home the finder was the victim of a road rage incident. When the police arrived they found the gun in the car, he was arrested and faced a long jail sentence. Luckily the case failed at court. But things have got a lot stiffer since then.

You can still own rifles here, but nothing automatic.

Much prefer the more sensible US gun ownership rules, especially Alabama. Do many other states allow the private ownership of a working flame thrower? Ideal for both pest control and home defence i would think.

Tim (too)

Hi SM

Further to Tim's comments,in order to get a licence to own a rifle or shotgun you have to be able to prove a need ,eg pest control or target shooting and checks are made for good character and weapon storage

security etc. This of course has no effect on crime for obvious reasons,it is just another example of the "Nanny State".

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Snowman, we lost our right to handguns back in the 1990s and to semi automatic rifles in the 1980s, both times the clamp down followed some nutter running amok with a weapon.

People like myself who legally owned them had to surrender them to "dear old nanny", they paid us compensation but it never covered the costs of them fully, and most of us were greatly out of pocket!

How did the saying go,

Ban guns and only the criminals will have guns.

Its true, following the tightening of gun control ownership, Britains gun crime rate has escalated. Work that one out.

and what about the replicas or deactivated weapons? Like US WWII weapons (US M1 carabine; Garand M1, Colt 1911, etc..). May I take them with me if I come to Beltring this summer? What about the machine guns mounted on truck?

it is certainly a risk bringing them into the country. If they are not deactivated to Uk specifications there is a good chance that they will be seized as you enter the country. Similarly if you have them visible during the journey they may be seized and you could go to jail. The law is so confused on the subject at the moment that no one seems to really know. Last Beltring and at Malvern the Police and Customs Officers were in evidence, checking and reportedly taking stuff away. if you really want to be safe, leave it at home. If you want to bring it and be certain do contact the UK Customs - http://WWW.HMRC.co.uk before leaving home. New laws should be coming in soon which should hopefully clarify the matter. These can be seen on this forum under violent crime reduction bill.

Good luck

Tim (too)

Hi Snowman, we lost our right to handguns back in the 1990s and to semi automatic rifles in the 1980s, both times the clamp down followed some nutter running amok with a weapon.

People like myself who legally owned them had to surrender them to "dear old nanny", they paid us compensation but it never covered the costs of them fully, and most of us were greatly out of pocket!

How did the saying go,

Ban guns and only the criminals will have guns.

Its true, following the tightening of gun control ownership, Britains gun crime rate has escalated. Work that one out.

I cant understand there way of thinking [ the so called people in charge] that thay can put citizens in danger and think thay can be every where all the time. I have a concealed carry permit but I dont think this is the wild west. Someone told me a long time ago it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Maybe time for another Tea party!

Thanks Tim (too) :lol:

My Garand and M1 carabine were deactivated in Belgium. I know it does match the French specifications too. They canot be made to fire again. So I'm wondering what they could do more. I saw that there were some combat reenactments at Beltring last years. And they used weapons. Maybe in the event area, there is no problem? Of course, we won't take them to the nearest village, nor wear them when in civilian clothes.

Hand guns were baned in 1998 in the uk you need to have a Firearms class 1 licence you can have a long barrled revolver 12" barrel ! If you have good resaon to use one target shooting is a reason the only semi-auto rifle you can have is a .22 r/f for target shooting or hunting vermin all magzine fed/single shot, rifles,carbines you can have if your local police areas accept your reason to have one this changes between police areas. Reguarding deacts if you are bring them into the uk check with the customs/home office to see that that compile with the uk standard for deacts The Birmingham/london proof houses controls theses it may be worth checking with these !. I myself have items that I use for competion shooting in the uk and travel to germany to shoot items that we cannot use in the uk Pistols! :D I am off shortly to shoot M1 carbine and pistols in competions in germany :D:D:D I am a member of a club in germany and have good freinds who let me use there pistols ect :D:D I hope this answers some of your question.

Alec

You guys have opened my eye's on gun laws in the U.K. Not to make fun at it but seems not to be the way to go. We also have some stupid rules for one if you have a concealed carry permit that hast to be a hand gun and you can have as many as you can carry [bUT you better not have a knife with a blade to long you can go to jail ] :shock: