Ebay Kinson for GWT maybe?

Rick W

That looks like fun. If i had the lawn to run it on i would go for it, but we really have ran out of room now. No, we really have. No, we are not going to buy anything else. Nothing.

Tim (too)

When do you pick it up, then, Tim (too). :cool2::whistle:

Great articles in BOTH this months Mil mags, by the way.

Andy

Sunday looks clear.

Glad you liked my Holt article. Took me a while to put that together as some of the (reliable) references contradict each other. I ended going back to the earliest doccument that i had which was a 1919 US Army report on them.

The CMV article was quite fun to do. We took the trucks out to a local NT property and used that as a back drop which worked out quite well. I got shouted at by the resident, but i apologised and we took the truck off his lawn, which satisfied him a little bit. The dog bites healed in just a matter of weeks, so it was not a problem.

I took lots of cracking photos myself which i will use for the "book project". Didnt want to use them until Johns article had come out, as the concern is that they would have been quite similar to his. The cover of the magazine made me laugh "Great War Trucks". I am easily pleased.

Tim (too)

The oil consumption has puzzled us for some time and caused me some concern when I realised that we were only getting sixteen miles to the pint! I was reassured when I found that the army trials in 1914 achieved even greater consumption and their lorry was new! Mind you, it still costs a lot and a drip tray is an essential piece of kit.

It seems that most of the oil comes out of the breather and I believe that this is exacerbated by the twin cylinder engine. In a 'four' two pistons are going up whilst two are coming down and the net crankcase volume change is very small thus moving only a little air in and out. In a twin, the crankcase volume changes by the whole capacity of the engine every revolution so there is a tremendous gale through the breather all the time. This picks up the oil mist and spreads it over everything. Our breather had been modified, to little effect and when looking at old photographs, it can be seen that Autocar moved the breather around on the engine over the years so they obviously recognised the problem as well. We have decided to live with the problem and just count our blessings in that nothing is likely to rust!

Steve

Yes, quite right. These lorries should have a tank on the dash with a hand pump so that you can give a squirt every couple of miles. Excess oil just seems to find its way out! Our lorries are both missing the tank and, although I started to make the patterns and core boxes to cast new ones, I never finished the job. Something to do when I get a bored moment!

Steve

I guess one other benefit of such systems was to help keep down dust on the primitive roads by oiling them ,although it must have been quite hazardous on the cobblestone surfaces when it rained for both the solid rubber tires and foot traffic .

This roller looks as if it is really a home made type job maybe a project for the scrap mans son for a local cricket club. The actuall body (what left of it ) appears to be cut down form a auto roller and as Kinson is an old part of Bournemouth the scrappy or son (may have ) borrowed the KINSON badge on the front from an old road sign.

Naturally not implying any thing against the local residents of Kinson in any shape or form but maybe it was built for roller banger racing or ram raiding :-D:-D:cool2:

Ashley