Help with 1942 Royal Enfield 350cc OHV WCO military sidecar

Radek

Hi Mike,

if you look on the first page of this thread, there are my front forks. I bought it with the bike. Usuely is on the RE forks only main spring, but on this forks are two small side springs. Mybe somebody calculated with the sidecar.

You are right that ride british bike with sidecar on another side is quite problem.

The box on the sidecar outfit looks like as any ammunition box.

Now is my bike as solo. I have problems with the sidecar bars. I can slide with the bars and make good obliquity of wheels. http://czechlions.rajce.idnes.cz/09-08-22_Cihelna_09_-_sobota/#IMG_0395.JPG

Mike, many thanks for all information, will be helpfull for me in the next steps. :thanx:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Radek,

Later contract WD/CO's were fitted with check spring front forks as standard fitment. If you get the sidecar alignment spot on you should be alright even if the bike is on the wrong side of the crown but it will help if you keep the sidecar loaded..

Edited by Stefano

Does you bike sit upright when it's on a cambered road Stefano.

Or have you a bad back for a few days after a long ride?

No, not really. Last summer I did a couple of hundred miles over a weekend with my '39 high cam Sunbeam B28 and Swallow Bedford sidecar. I've kept the lean out a little bit less than usual so the steering's a bit heavy but apart from that it's no problem. Different when the chair's empty of course, but roads nowadays are nowhere near as cambered as they used to be a couple of decades ago, at least in northern Italy. Braking with a very light sidecar could be a bit worrying but the swallow is a heavy old thing. I used to have a 1919 Scott with a fabric sidecar and it was lethal without a passenger. Still miss it though, an absolutely magical thing, it would boil away merrily to itself up mountains (and was brakeless coming down them!!) but never missed a beat :)

Edited by Stefano

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

i saw a bike which looks n sounds like those bike which was used by

the german army during the WW2. i dont know the name of the bike

but i saw a word ' BULLET' on the seat behind the pillion.

i love the look n the sound of the bike, its very cool.

may i know how much does it cost n what is the brand n model of the bike?

i need your help.

thanks alot, icon-thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have "big" problem. :nut:

I have removed the head, Ihope that is demaged the head gasket. But it looks o.k. When I have filled the oil on the piston, the oil leak around the piston down. :cry: The barel looks fine.

On the piston is stamped ID 61 +.030´´ FRONT

What can I do or what can help:

1, exchange only the piston rings

2, or make new grinding? But the original pistons are only until +030 anthers are wiht higher compresions.

Cheers Radek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I thought you would like to see my almost complete Royal Enfield WD C (replica) with a sidecar I built for it based on the example in Coventry Motor Museum. The helpful staff let me measure and photograph their example, it formed the basis of my design. The chassis is possibly a Watsonian VG21, with two half cart springs. The sidecar is now completed with a Austin 7 seat base, original mudguard and spare wheel. The body is scratch built with 18mm thick waterproof ply with aluminium sheet on the front and aluminium half round trim on the edges. The handles started life as boat grab handles modified to fit.

Currently I am changing the bike engine so it is off the road.

Advice to anyone adding a sidecar to a solo motorcycle - allow a few months for all the paperwork and inspections required by the DVLC. It can be very annoying.

Will post more pictures them I get them.

I hope this helps?

Cheers, Graham

DSCF2241.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye on the down tube cracking and watch the rear frames for twisting, the frames arn't really strong enough for a sidecar. My WD/CO B had a twisted rear frame section from sidecar use, and the down tube on early frames are very week around the join with the cast head and the front engine mount.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi

I thought you would like to see my almost complete Royal Enfield WD C (replica) with a sidecar I built for it based on the example in Coventry Motor Museum. The helpful staff let me measure and photograph their example, it formed the basis of my design. The chassis is possibly a Watsonian VG21, with two half cart springs. The sidecar is now completed with a Austin 7 seat base, original mudguard and spare wheel. The body is scratch built with 18mm thick waterproof ply with aluminium sheet on the front and aluminium half round trim on the edges. The handles started life as boat grab handles modified to fit.

Currently I am changing the bike engine so it is off the road.

Advice to anyone adding a sidecar to a solo motorcycle - allow a few months for all the paperwork and inspections required by the DVLC. It can be very annoying.

Will post more pictures them I get them.

I hope this helps?

Cheers, Graham

Graham, wish you had contacted me first before building your replica from the Coventry Motor Museum, as this is hopelessly inacurate!

If you need the sizes for the sidecar body email me direct on: welbike(at)welbike.net

Cheers,

Alex Schmidt

• 2 months later...

Alex

Thank you for the offer. Also sorry about being late replying - I don't log on frequently.

I realised the Coventry sidecar was different from other examples - I put this down to the original sidecars being built in different workshops, perhaps. However as well as being keen on military bikes I also wanted a sidecar which would carry our disabled adult daughter so combining two things I built the sidecar to suit her.

Currently I am putting a new engine and wiring loom on the bike and at the same time fitting a 'non standard' twin leading shoe 7" front brake to help stop us more efficiently!

Thanks again for your offer and Happy New Year

DSCF2241.jpg

Alex

Thank you for the offer. Also sorry about being late replying - I don't log on frequently.

I realised the Coventry sidecar was different from other examples - I put this down to the original sidecars being built in different workshops, perhaps. However as well as being keen on military bikes I also wanted a sidecar which would carry our disabled adult daughter so combining two things I built the sidecar to suit her.

Currently I am putting a new engine and wiring loom on the bike and at the same time fitting a 'non standard' twin leading shoe 7" front brake to help stop us more efficiently!

Thanks again for your offer and Happy New Year

Sorry wrong picture attached - this is a more recent one.

Re sidecar project 003.jpg

• 5 years later...

"Forgoten" project. The sprokets and nipples was in bad shape, for the desamantling I have to used wire cutters.

P.S.: The nos speedo drive wheel was on ebay, for the bargaine.

13521709_1039179152783863_320178330_n.jpg

13552691_1039179156117196_1585336494_n.jpg

13521740_1039138556121256_907643840_n.jpg

13515162_1039138552787923_153752018_n.jpg

Ron,

i know :-(

I have started anothers projects. Now is time any finish. ;-)

The great puzzle will be the front forks. Desmantled are in the box for the long time.

Radek