Help with 1942 Royal Enfield 350cc OHV WCO military sidecar

Radek

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly LOOKs right, Radek,.......but I'm thinking the box wouldn't have been mounted on it.

Andy

Hi Andy,

is it the same frame as for this sidecar? Have you any better pictures or plans for make the replic?

Thanks Radek

austink2.jpg

Malta%2027%20Sep-%2004%20Oct%202006%20037.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

The Malta sidecar looks like used with the bren gun on norton big 6.i gave away a book with pictures and drawings of this side car.i will try and find it for you.

Hello Radek, I see that you've been asking the same question on MLU !

This is the sidecar wheel drive Norton chassis without its body :-

big4swdwobodyxr4.th.jpg

The Nortons were the only specifically military-bodied sidecars to see service with the British Army. Big 4s also had the alternative of a straightforward 'Commercial Box' or an ''AA' box with a pointed front as used by the breakdown recovery service.

Conventional motorcycles seem principally to have had either a single seat passenger chair based on the pre-war Swallow type or a box.

• 6 months later...

The bike is any time at home an now we are working on.

The fron forks, handlebars and wheal is from Matchels. I have original forks and now I am looking for the complete front wheal.

Can somebody halp me?

Thanks Radek

tank.jpg

bike.jpg

rewco-16.jpg

Radek,

For the front wheel you could try Hitchcock motorcycles or Burton's bike bits - they might be able to help. CO stuff comes up quite often on Ebay as well. As for the sidecar chassis, from what I can see I would hazard a guess and say that it looks like a Watsonian - but I could well be wrong. Your best bet would be to ask someone like Charnwood Classics, they should be able to help.

From what I have been led to beleive, sidecars (and not a lot of them at that), were attached to the BSA M20/21 and Norton 16H, because the 350's would have found the going remarkably hard in anything approaching off road conditions due to their limited torque and lighter construction. I agree with 79 x 100's comments, the non military sidecars I've seen photographed all seem to be of Swallow maufacture, although I know for a fact that The RAF used 16H's with box sidecars to ferry tools around - An Italian collector had one that was original down to having it's full complement of tools. Unfortunately he died some years ago and despite my best endeavours to find it that particular bike seems to have fallen off the planet........

Of course I live in hope!

All the Best,

Stefano

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As a Biker with riding experiences spanning back to 1964 I would say that the 350 would never have been used with a sidecar during it's military life. With at least two soldiers, kit, weapons etc it would have been hard pressed to move around on the road, let alone cross country. The Norton had a dog clutch to engage the drive to the sidecar wheel, which no other bike in British service had. The only other possibility for a sidecar outfit of 350cc would be an impressed civilian bike with sidecar already attached.

• 8 months later...

Here are any pictures of forks progress.

I have only hobby sandblaster. First I have to remove the paint with the remover and after then sandblasting.

I have recieved many parts fro Hichkock store, they are greats. :iloveyou:

forks part removed.jpg

parts.jpg

sandblasted.jpg

I have bought the bike in England and the story about it was: This bike was used in army workshop for transporting spare parts and mechanicals in the workshop. :???

My theory is, that somebody replaced the corect RE front forks for the G3L. Is better for ride. I would like replaced it back.

I don´t know, if is army adaptation, if is war or post war. Nobady knows. :???

But what I know is, that no only Norton has sidecars!!!!!

wm20outfitvanderveenxk8.jpg

raf167352fm2.jpg