Barnsley Pals WW1 event

This weekend, the Old Contemptibles, Manchesters, Great War Society and others did an event on the old training ground for the Barnsley Pals to raise awareness and to unveil the memorial to the Barnsley Pals.

Big thanks to Duncan (Bill) for organising this, you've done yourself and the Barnsley Pals proud. Unfortunately missed a shot of David of the GWS with the artillery vest on, looked fantastic

a1ht3.jpg

a2rw9.jpg

a3dx1.jpg

a4lk4.jpg

a5qf6.jpg

a6jg0.jpg

2 inch mortar 'toffee apple' bomb

a7rs4.jpg

4 inch Stokes mortar bomb top, and French 75mm tank gun shell (used on the St Chamond and Schneider tanks) middle, brought to England for training purposes

a8ui5.jpg

Looks like Roddy the Clydesdale finds Alzamina's magazine interesting

a9ny9.jpg

b1xi2.jpg

yeah, keep up the photography. What you are buliding is an archive. Could be worth a few pounds to agencies. Snapper could proably advise. Also they are great for the group and individuals. I always take a lap top and a universal card reader to shows. That way I can nick other peoples photos :cool2: and burn discs for people there and then. Makes you very popular, and you get stuff you didn't see or of you taking part.

Hey,

I was in Sheffield Memorial Park a couple of weekends back. We had beautiful weather. I really liked the place, though it was smaller than I expected. The view down to Railway Copse cemetery has to be seen.

My pal Geoff found a spent bullet by Serre Rd No3 cemetery. He has eagle eyes. I need to post some pictures from this trip, don't I?

MB

Just read Tony's comments properly. Yes - keep snapping. Finding a market for the stuff is not easy though, but you should approach the re-enactor mag - name temporarily forgotten - but they don't pay for pix as I recall, but money isn't everything. I expect Stand To! will always welcome your pix. I'd advise you continue to build your archive and see where it takes you. You'll quickly find the pix you think are your best from the early years are easily eclipsed by stuff you do in the near future. It's a given fact.

Tony's suggestion on the laptop and cardreader front makes sense. I always have mine at big events and I would have a CF cardreader for my posse of Nikons.

Never give up and always take the pix that you want, not for others. Your pleasure counts first and last. Listen to constructive criticism but don't hang on every word. Your pix are yours. Simple. I always keep my favourites and immediately delete the obvious rubbish - blurred or whatever to save effort later. If you're short on time make temporary captions/file names - but keep notes. Don't be tempted to manipulate originals - save that for later.

Enjoy.

M

Mark. What you say about Gereat War battlefields , that struck me at the Somme. From the Sunken Road to Hawthorn Crater, my first thought was 'My God, the area is so small! They must have been quing up to fall over!'

It is only when you visit the areas and LOOK at the ground, not nessacarialy the memorials do you really get an idea of what happened. Having spent a lot of time studying the Great War over the last couple of years, walking over the ridge at the Bunker Bash last year, made my hair stand up! I could finally see how things fitted together, comparing it to original panaoramas from IWM is was nearly perfect. Unfortunatley :argh::argh: work next weekend but I may get a chance to visit.

Thanks for the comments guys, i've even had a mention in the local paper about the weekend!

One enthusiast who is just starting out completed the First World War re-enactor's rite of passage on Friday night – by sleeping in a trench which had been dug on the site.

Rob Langham, 19, from Leicestershire said: "It was cold, but it was a good experience. I had always wanted to find out what it would have been like for those soldiers at the time."

from http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/video/Reenactment-revives-memories-of-the.4072679.jp

Good to see some pics of the event, Rob. That busy I didnt manage many myself. Glad you and the rest of the guys had a good time. Shame more of the public didnt turn out on the Sunday but I reckon the lure of the coast on the first good weekend of the year was too much. Nay matter, we all had a good time eh? Lots of good feedback received locally from those who were there, lots of praise for the quality of the L/H groups. I did try to get some period vehicles there but for one reason or another they didnt materialise. Cant win 'em all!

Dunc

Certainly had a great time over the weekend Duncan, many thanks for all the effort you put in - didn't realise it was you on here, very very nice Bedford MW. Good to hear there was plenty of good feedback from the public, you certainly had the cream of the WW1 living history groups out there in attendance, as boastful as that might sound from one of them! Good to meet you too, if you ever do decide to do an event again i'm sure the Old Contemptibles will be more than happy to attend and support the event.