Stalwart HMLC Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Just as the latest results from a photogrammetry dive completed, this thread popped up. So it seems a good place to share another 3D model of a now-submerged ex-military vehicle:-

https://sketchfab.com/models/a490b319654b425d8b636140599f103d

This Stollie is now resting in 15m at the National Diving and Activity Centre. It was sunk as a diver attraction and not lost as a result of an engine flood...

Purely as a matter of interest, could the data from this kind of imaging be used to create a model using a 3D printer?

Like this?

http://deep3d.co.uk/2016/03/31/dolly-varden-model/

ABS model sitting on my dining table as I write. The Dolly Varden is currently under restoration, so we scanned it beforehand, as a record of the "as is". The control point measurements were used during the build of the model to add real world values to the alignment of the images.

And the original scan:-

https://sketchfab.com/models/94305ff714b2451eb40591e821a2a438

I have not measured the physical model yet to check scale - I simply told the printers to "Print it in one go as big as you can" and its about 280mm long.

Next step will to be print in metal.

Hope this helps?

That is truly excellent, so you do not have to actually measure anything at all when you gather the data! Do you think that the time to gather the data this way is comparable to doing it by measurements for what is quite a complex shape?

trevor

That is truly excellent, so you do not have to actually measure anything at all when you gather the data! Do you think that the time to gather the data this way is comparable to doing it by measurements for what is quite a complex shape?

In the case of the Dolly (And the Stalwart) I took a few key measurements between the control points we placed before the scan. You can see the control points on the Stollie load bed - white squares with black targets printed on them. For the Dolly, two measurements along the length of the hull, one across the stern and one from deck towards the keel were recorded and used to scale the build.

What you do not have to do is take hundreds of measurements. To measure the curves and recreate the hull shape of the Dolly would be very time consuming. Underwater its even worse as we have a time limit of gas supply and (if deeper) decompression stops.

So we can take a very complex shape and scan it. Things that cause real issues are anything with a lack of texture (no points to detect), any reflective surface like glass (ditto) and anything that moves between frames (schooling fish and swaying seaweed).

• 7 years later...