Zonnebeke 2008 WWI living history event

Here's the first part of my photos from a brilliant weekend, going to be a very large thread i'm afraid as took over 300 photos

a2ib3.jpg

a3tp6.jpg

a4tr7.jpg

z1rg5.jpg

z2ht2.jpg

z3ga0.jpg

Middlesex Regiment

z4ip6.jpg

"Right, now what do I do?!"

z5fb1.jpg

z6xm1.jpg

Martin teaching me how to strip the Lewis gun

z7lv9.jpg

One of the Old Contemptible's Lewis's (Lewii? :lol: )

z8pv9.jpg

Fantastic MG08

z9ka8.jpg

a1co6.jpg

za1oq8.jpg

Lewis gun innards in the museum

za2nd7.jpg

My Lewis post (I think Zonnebeke this year was 'year of the Lewis' for us Brits)

za3et6.jpg

za4my5.jpg

Meg the mule, one of my favourite displays

za5bz6.jpg

Australian Light Horse, cracking guys

za6tt6.jpg

Cooling fins and barrel of a Lewis gun

za7nh4.jpg

1918 Vickers on a 1915 tripod

za8wg5.jpg

Crown and Anchor game

za9ru1.jpg

zb1cy0.jpg

zb2kq4.jpg

zb3kv2.jpg

21755458nt3.jpg

Dirck about to lob some stick grenades at us

zb5us6.jpg

Me and my Lewis post

zb7pc3.jpg

zb6nz2.jpg

Middlesex Regiment after their march to Tyne Cot and back, well done guys, hope to join you next time

zb8nl7.jpg

I say, who are those three really small people that look like Pete and John from the OC's, and Malcolm from the GWS?

If anyone 'oop North' is interested in seeing a small scale, but quality, WW1 event they could do worse than going along to the Barnsley Pals Tribute Event being staged on the site of the Pals original training camp at Silkstone, nr Barnsley. Some slight traces of the original camp survive. Unfortunately it is the same weekend as Wings and Wheels at Elvington May 10/11th. All gate proceeds to Ex -Service Charities. £2.50 per head to get in.

Gents, can we settle one thing once and for all? The 1914/18 war was known at the time simply as 'The War'. during the 1920's it came to be reffered to as 'The Great War'. it did not become known as the 'First World War ' till after 1939, simple really before 1939 no one knew there would be another world war. So 'Great War' is the acepted correct title. :nono:

If anyone 'oop North' is interested in seeing a small scale, but quality, WW1 event they could do worse than going along to the Barnsley Pals Tribute Event being staged on the site of the Pals original training camp at Silkstone, nr Barnsley. Some slight traces of the original camp survive. Unfortunately it is the same weekend as Wings and Wheels at Elvington May 10/11th. All gate proceeds to Ex -Service Charities. £2.50 per head to get in.

I'll be at Barnsley as a Lewis gunner again, should have a bit of a diorama there with our display - watch out for my yellow flashes on my jacket

Oh yeah, very illegal, as was all gambling - typically one tommy would have the game cloth, and the other with the dice, so if one of them was collared and had it taken off him, then there was still another half of the game left.

A symbol on one die - pays evens

A pair - pays twice

Three of a kind - pays three times

The banker takes all bets on losing squares, so the odds are always in the bankers favour

This is the last batch of photos (except for those of Polygon Wood which i'll put up in a new thread), most of the remainders are similar to those already put up, so if anyone wants any photos of themself, let me know, i'll have a look and then e-mail you any I find.

I've included some photos from the museum - for those that haven't been, I highly reccommend it, in my opinion it was better than the Imperial War Museum

a1wc7.jpg

a2je4.jpg

a3hc2.jpg

Selection of Belgian personal armour

a35cy6.jpg

a4bj3.jpg

a5ss7.jpg

a7va7.jpg

a75hm4.jpg

a76kk5.jpg

a8hw6.jpg

What are the rules for Crown and Anchor. I remember from reading about it in "Charleys War". Wasnt the game frowned upon by the military?

Tim (too)

I remember Crown and Anchor from the horse race meeting at les landes as a kid. Stricly illeagl for kids to bet of course! but the old guy that ran it used to let us kids sneack in pennies. The idea is similar to poker dice. You bet on which will come up and get payed out accordingly. Done with the right patter it is very entertaining.

quote{Gents, can we settle one thing once and for all? The 1914/18 war was known at the time simply as 'The War'. during the 1920's it came to be reffered to as 'The Great War'. it did not become known as the 'First World War ' till after 1939, simple really before 1939 no one knew there would be another world war. So 'Great War' is the acepted correct title.}quote

If I'd been posting this in the 1920's I dont suppose I would have referred to it as WW1 either, but I'm here in 2008. So if there isn't WW1, what is the 'accepted correct title' for the 39/45 conflict? You can't call it WW2 by your reasoning, as there isn't an official WW1.