AEC Militant MK 3 Gallery

I was driving along the A127 near Dunton yesterday and there appears to be a AEC Militant FV11008 Cargo Truck for sale. It's parked on a field near the London bound side of the A127 near the Dunton junction, the place seems to sell old plane & machinery. The truck is still in green/black and has a HIAB crane.

I did not stop and I could not see a price, but bearing in mind it was some distance away and I was driving it looked in reasonable condition.

jch

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE SEEN IT M8 ITS PARKED NEAR A DARK PLACE CALLED COCKINTUNNEL A PLACE,SAME AS :nut: RUSH GREEN MOTORS WHERE TIME HAS STOOD STILL FOR MANY YEARS LOL:nut:

MMM... Near a dark place called Salthouse mills too..... Lots of gubbins down there- including the 'Glamourflaged' Martian! When will it all see the light of day?????:D

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As I have said on other threads I have recently found some pictures which I thought I had lost. Included in the set were these from a very wet Belvoir Castle show that no one will ever forget who was there to see it!

This Militant came in the entrance and departed pretty quickly after the show had been called off early on the Sunday morning. However it first had to come to the aid of it's stricken mate.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Found this picture today, taken at Kemble Airfield 2007. Anyone recognise it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45689[/ATTACH]

From the logos and the caravan in the background certainly owned (at the time) by one of the Walters Family from Avon Dassett.

Can you read the registration number on your original photo?

This could be it photographed this year, by the date location is Bloxham show.

Walter Family AEC Militant MK 3 MFL  50H

And a couple more

MFL 50H

MFL 50H

• 5 months later...
From the logos and the caravan in the background certainly owned (at the time) by one of the Walters Family from Avon Dassett.

Can you read the registration number on your original photo?

This could be it photographed this year, by the date location is Bloxham show.

Walter Family AEC Militant MK 3 MFL  50H

And a couple more

MFL 50H

MFL 50H

This seems to be the one currently on Ebay ! :-D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEC-MILITANT-MK-111-6X6-1970-HEAVY-RECOVERY-EX-ARMY-CRANE-WINCH-/160784021982?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item256f7979de

That looks a nice truck,Do You need an HGV License and/or HGV Plating/MOT Test for it

HGV licence yes, plating, currently under review by the DVLA but at the moment no...however some users of them as work trucks have them voluntarily tested.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought bout time I put a pic of my Millitant Mk3, army reg 87 ET 21, owned it now for about 9 years or so, according to the vehicle record card it was issued to S.E.M.E at Boron from 1971 until 1987 then stuck off for auction in 1988. So maybe some of the ex R.E.M.E lads may have trained on it, also its had a mod where all the winch controlls had been copied to a frame above the hydraulic tank on the back body so as the winch could be operated outside of the cab, anyone on here remember doing this mod to this truck. the Militant now lives in Northumberland. P1000719.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whats the story about MOT's with these....are they exempt if taxed as historic....could you show me some more pictures....i fancy one but have never even seen in the cab or how the crane and legs work....post us some pictures please:cool2:

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had the large jack out to strip and adjust my Mk1's rear brakes, so thought I'd have a check of the front of my Mk3 wrecker. Below are the photos of what I have found on the offside which had lots of play in the swivel, and a rumble on both sides. Making progress but still need hub oil seals.

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

• 2 years later...
This one was owned by East Sussex County Council and driven by John Rebbeck, it is shown towing Forceful when he was Petrol powered, not because he was broken down but because John always prefers to arrive at W & P with something dangling :-D

John now owns it and what was once green became blue, and then good taste prevailed and it is now green again :thumbsup:

tow4.jpg

Alas John had given up and I bought Odd Job from him a couple of months ago and i am now going through her sorting out all the niggles since she has sat for 7 years give or take.

I’ll post some pics of how she is looking now.

Cheers,

Ian.