Camouflage Buildings - please help

Guest Papav66

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

camoblding.jpg

Hears a nice one,tell you about the sub later,where are you by the way,thought you would be back by now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi richard,Just putting all the info together will post later,i like that sailing inflatable bet thats a laugh.

Hi richard,Just putting all the info together will post later,i like that sailing inflatable bet thats a laugh.

Ah, see it all now..........its a lot closer to home than I thought and the Royal Navy flag is a clue. Catweazle, I will let you tell the story on this......being a nautical man :captain:

Richard

Fort Henry, Studland Bay. Right hand side of the emplacement in front of the door leading down to the ammunition storage area I think...

Yep,

thats it managed a few hours up there the other sunday with camera when time permits will post a few pictures.

Ashley

Here's one I made earlier, well last Saturday 26th April.

After having primed the two new Nissen huts at the South Midlands MVT clubhouse near Evesham, we've started to camouflage them.

Seemed to take an age painting, green, black & brown & a bit tricky up top making sure you didn't slide off as you can only go so far with a ladder+ the tin was getting hot in the sun.

Camo nissen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The performance/artist groups involved in this project are having some activity days in July on the 5th & 26th & have asked for a few vehicles pref. WW2 to help create a period scene/atmosphere, so if anyone is local & would like to bring their vehicle along then please give me a ring to discuss further.

The approach to the yard is not the best but quite smart once in as this is the town's new cultural & arts quarter. Might be suitable for those who want to bring their other half along for some retail therapy in town which is only a short walk.

And yes to make it worthwhile we can tap into their funding.

Paul 0779 159 1528

abstract10.jpg

loc_map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just come across this ww2 pic of Watton airfield, I had not realised until now that airfields were camouflaged from the air by painting fields, hedgerows, trees and shadows on the grass and runways, as well as hangar roofs.

At Watton personell were made to walk around the painted trees, and could only cross hedgerows at the unpainted gaps :shocked:

I am NOT making this up see www.455thaaa.com

Watton Airfield cammo.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

I'm sure that much of this camouflage must have been based on Norman Wilkinson's dazzle paint colour schemes for ships during World War One. The idea was that you could not hide a ship at sea but you could confuse the enemy as to its size, and direction of travel by painting designs on the hulls and superstructures, as per this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

I have hundreds of antique postcards and photos of these types of vessels, as well as views of ships converted to be dummy aircraft carriers and battleships.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I came across this thread by accident, and have joined HMVF so that I can contribute this post.

Several posts have mentioned that the camouflage schemes were viewed from the air as well as from the ground. The flights were made by the RAF Camouflage Flight (or Camouflage Unit - they used both terms), which was based at Hendon, and later at Stapleford Tawney. I don't know, but I would guess that both the military, and civilian factory owners, were taken up so that they could see the results of their efforts.

I happen to have one of the aircraft which was used by No.1 Camouflage Flight, but have been unable to find out anything much about its operations. The aircraft is a Dragon Rapide, built for the RAF in 1941, and later passed on to the AAJC for civilian operation in Scotland. The use of civilian aircraft during WW II is not much recorded, but these aircraft served a vital purpose in keeping up communications with the islands around our coast, and with Northern Ireland. Sea crossings were much slower, and could be more risky if there was enemy activity in the area.

If anyone has any further detail, I should be pleased to hear from them.

The GE (formally Smiths Industries) factory at Bishops Cleeve near Cheltenham, still had traces of camouflage paint on it's buildings a few years ago. Unfortunately a new building now obscures the old ones from the road, so I don't know if they still show signs of it.

HI

A few years back i spent time at LANDROVERS LODE LANE plant on the SOUTH WORKs there was the remains of wartime

camouflage also at the CASTLE BROMWICH JAGUAR assembly plant there was also the remains on a building of camouflage

do not know if they are still there

regards wally