Scammell Constructor Gallery.

The RAF Constructors had the RAF ref No 16A/2451 for the complete vehicle and 16A/2477. for the Chassis only

The tractor use is stated in Air Publication A.P. 4760/A (Aug 1960) as being the towing tractor for the 30 Ton Full trailer (Ref 16A/2478).

The trailers were ordered on 30/12/59 under order KL/h/0559/C.B.27 (b) W.O.

The trailers were built by Cranes and delivery was complete by Sept 1960.

The Chassis numbers of the trailers were C.13,614 to C.13,633 inclusive. That is 21 trailers.

Since they were ordered for the Scammell as its exclusive towing vehicle it seems to me if there were 21 trailers there would have been 21 tractors.

Edited by antarmike

Since they were ordered for the Scammell as its exclusive towing vehicle it seems to me if there were 21 trailers there would have been 21 tractors.

You may well be right about there being 21 of these tractors built but assuming 21 tractors on the basis of 21 trailers being supplied is not what I would call firm evidence. I've always understood the total number of RAF tractors was 20.

I wouldn't want N.O.S. to devote the rest of his life trying to track down one non existent RAF Con. tractor simply because the MoS ordered one spare trailer. Is there any other evidence of there being 21 tractors other than the tally of trailers ?

But very entertaining and informative none the less Mike !

I agree, but it's still just a complete load of old trailers Andy :whistle:

And what are you doing letting Antamike off the hook so quickly - I was enjoying the sound of teeth being pulled out by Scammell winch rope :-\

None taken, Mike - I'll be in the cluhouse WW2 bar at 9.30, mine's a pint of EP90 please :-D We love you really :n00b:

No you are right that is only 20 trailers, I can't count can I....?

as you were saying can't be hard to find 20 tractors can it....

(Mike goes away humiliated)

Mike, I don't like to state the obvious but the last 2 spec sheets both refer to 20 30/35 ton trailers; saves the complicated maths.:cool2:

• 1 month later...