WC-51 buyers guide

Lauren Child

Hi chaps and chapesses,

Can I get some advice on buying a WC? What should I be looking out for, and how much should I be looking to spend.

Last thing I want is to buy a shed. The one I'm looking at needs new tyres and isn't road registered, so those are both things I know I'll need to do.

Thanks,

Lauren

Weapons carriers are fairly bulllet proof hence why so many examples survive. Usual things are obvious rust in the body sides and cab mounts, engines can suffer oil leak fron rear main, ok if not too excessive, big job otherwise, they should run very smoothly with 30-50lb oil pressure when hot, any missing or uneven running could be valve trouble, crash gearbox, no syncro, brakes can be troublesome, master cylinder is prob going to be £100+? wheel cylinders £ 30? each, mechanical bits are readily available, but windscreen frames can be expensive if you have a rusty or damaged one. Dallas Autos is the place to speak to for parts and repairs. There has been numerous discussions about MOT and if the Dodge is exempt, I keep mine MOT'd. Does the one your looking at have all the canvas top and hoop frames? if they are missing youl be looking at up to £1000 for the complete set. Tyres are about £90-120 a piece, they are a great vehicle but thirsty at 10-12mpg but big enough to camp in, prices from £3000 for a runner needing bit of tlc, usually missing the canvas, several on Milweb like this, up to £7000 for a really nice one

Pastparts can rebuild brake cylinders for roughly the same as NOS. And are garuntedd! Fit with cupro nickel pipes and you can more or less forget. Most parts are available. Waht sort of price is being asked? Add £1000 for bits etc and work from there. Is it a 51 no winch or a 52 with winch. The winch is added stress. Also if you can post a picture, there is a very rare version a Canadian APT, often mistaken for a WC. If it is an APT, get it!. Start her up run if you can.

Quote: "Last thing I want is to buy a shed."

Might be the first thing actually as they don't fit into a standard car garage

but triffic fun and like Nick said fairly bullt proof... when they're right they're right and are easy to maintain.

Quote: "Last thing I want is to buy a shed."

Might be the first thing actually as they don't fit into a standard car garage

but triffic fun and like Nick said fairly bullt proof... when they're right they're right and are easy to maintain.

Mine lives in a standard garage, its a tight fit...though have to remove the top and fold screen. Pic taken while doing the timing cover oil seal, very easy to remove front wings and radiator to work on the engine

Jeep 012 (2).jpg

You've got patience, Nick. I've just bought a standard garage and managed to do £150 of damage to my Verso reversing into it. Some idiot forgot to remove the aerial. Ping. The car in front is a Toyota. My Iltis appears to be "sold", so the garage probably awaits a new toy.

MB

thats not so much in the garage as wearing it!

Are they telescopic shocks on your 52?

It surprises everyone when I open the door to see the Dodge in there. it fits with an inch to spare each side!

Yes they are telescopic shocks on the front, come from the later M37 improves the handling and steering

Thanks guys,

The one I'm looking at has canvas and posts, but the canvas is old and leaking so it'll need replacing. I've found a place doing a set of canvas for 360quid (www.canvasco.com).

Should I just be looking for the 3 metal posts, or are there some extra fixings that are needed?

This one is a 51 with no winch, and is going for £5500. Is this pricey given the things that need sorting (canvas and tyres).

Actually I prefer the Dodge driving position to the of a Series Landy. The seats are srung and packed with a fibre, actually quite comfortable. The early ones are narrow though. Does the body come right up to the spare? That's an early one also check if 12 or 6 volt. £5500 is pricey for a vehicle needing restoration, you should be able to get a runner in need of a bit of cosmetics for a grand less. With dodgy (No PUN intended) brakes I'd reckon £2000- £2500 on a good day.

Yes five and a half is definately on the top end for a truck that still needs finishing... tyres don't look too brilliant either (considering price and how much a set of canvas and 900x16s will set you back etc). Wait n see. I imported mine from Norway in the end as it worked out around a grand cheaper (including all the import nonsense) was on the road over there and was in better condition than most i'd seen over here. Your best bet is befriend a Dodge owner and take them with you too look... Two heads etc