Scammell Pioneer Gallery

The Scammell without bodywork is the 2nd prototype gun tractor. Ordered end of 1935 and the body ordered later. The first gun tractor is the one I would really like, petrol engine 6x6 built in 1928, the first Pioneer in service.

The 4x4 pioneer was a prototype for the Royal Navy. It started off with a petrol engine but was re-engined in showmans use with a Gardner diesel. I've got a later photo of it somewhere with fixed front bodywork. It is rumoured to still exist and hopefully it will survive.

The wrecked one with the German soldier sitting on it is an early one with the large headlights and sidelights. I thinik the photo is at Dunkirk.

Cheers

Ed

The wrecked one with the German soldier sitting on it is an early one with the large headlights and sidelights. I thinik the photo is at Dunkirk.

Cheers

Ed

That would make sense, many of the brand new BEF vehicles were rendered useless and abandoned on the beaches.

Hi Madrat,

I think that is Jerry's one. I'm sure he'll be along at some point to confirm.

A number of Pioneer's made it back from Dunkirk including one of the first 4 TRMU20's (Snow White). Would like to find out what happened with my gun tractor as being 1938 I would imagine there is a good chance she made it to France and at some point back again.

Ed

Just by chance I was clearing some old magazines this weekend and I came across an advert for "1938 Scammell Admiralty tractor", the same as the showmans one pictured in these pages. The advert was from August 2004, so it survived up to that point!

The Scammell without bodywork is the 2nd prototype gun tractor. Ordered end of 1935 and the body ordered later. The first gun tractor is the one I would really like, petrol engine 6x6 built in 1928, the first Pioneer in service.

The 4x4 pioneer was a prototype for the Royal Navy. It started off with a petrol engine but was re-engined in showmans use with a Gardner diesel. I've got a later photo of it somewhere with fixed front bodywork. It is rumoured to still exist and hopefully it will survive.

Cheers

Ed

Could you post up a copy of the advert?

I'd heard that there had been a for sale advert but never managed to track it down.

Thanks

Ed

Just by chance I was clearing some old magazines this weekend and I came across an advert for "1938 Scammell Admiralty tractor", the same as the showmans one pictured in these pages. The advert was from August 2004, so it survived up to that point!

Hi Everyone,

Here are some shots of the TRMU I have just bought, I think these were taken in 2009 when it was for sale by Graham Booth on ebay.

I'm very keen to try and trace its history, it has a number of panels painted in a bright blue colour and as you can see has various non-standard bits and pieces. Its registration mark is KYW922.

The story I was told is that it was owned by a gentleman who was restoring it, it sat possibly in a barn for 30 years and was sold to Graham Booth after the owner sadly passed away. The previous owner to me thought it may have been used by a showman. There is a rebuild plate with a 1953 date, give than very few of these made it to the 1949 census it seems likely this one might have been converted to a ballast tractor, I see reference to others converted in 1953.

Any advice or knowledge gratefully received!

Cheers,

Duncan

4.jpg

8.jpg

When I posted the info in the IWM Disposals thread I mentioned a Pioneer from the 80s.

This was Tiny Tim, used for recovery on the M5 in the 70s. Technique for bad wrecks was to feed the main winch cable under the wrecked car and up to the jib. Winch in and crush the car against the back of the Pioneer and drive off the motorway.

oldscam3.jpg

She started first time after standing in the field for some years and drove on the low loader. Sadly work and other pressures meant she was sold to a collector in Surrey.

P1017202.jpg

P1017205.jpg

P1017200.jpg

The ex-IWM Pioneer is now running but needs a dynamo. She will be parked up for a couple of months until the weather improves then we will strip the panels and fabricate new.

Still cannot believe how original she is.

Paul

Internal Fire Museum of Power

http://www.internalfire.com

Hi all,

Does anyone have a list of the equipment that a recovery and a gun tractor should carry? As mine have no kit at all I should probably start keeping an eye out out for all of it! :-D

Cheers

Ed

PM me your email address and I'll send you the drivers manual. It's all in there.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Came across some old pictures sent to me anyone know what happened to the yellow pioneer?

Was just searching through the thread and spotted your photo’s. I’ve just bought the yellow Pioneer in the photo’s.

Does anyone have any infor on this Pioneer?

Thanks

3.jpg

2.jpg